electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Moog 984 4 Channel Mixer
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dingebre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Moog 984 4 Channel Mixer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought this module would be a fun clone. I did it as a 5U module following the Synthesizers.com panel specification. It's big for what it does, but I think it's comparable to the Moog panel. Mine is 5 units wide. You'll see I use 1/8 inch jacks for the inputs because this is going to sit in my Synthasystem racks, and they are all 1/8 inch. I used 1/4 jacks on the output to make it easier to connect to my audio interface. I added an OpAmp in the output stage that can be switched in or out with a DPDT DIP switch, or hard wired in or out so I can bring the output levels up to the levels in my Synthasystem. Otherwise, it is a faithful reproduction of the original.

I changed the panel somewhat from the original MOOG panel but not dramatically.

It takes 4 PCBs, but they are pretty simple. If anyone is interested in more info or you want to buy some PCBs, send me an email or PM. Unfortunately, there is a lot of wasted space on the PCBs and so the price per PCB is a little jacked up, but I think in quantities, they won't be too bad. There aren't really any odd parts in it, three 2N2926 transistors, but there are several cross matches and Cricklewood or Dalbani/Nikko have them in stock. There are a couple of odd value electrolytics, but you can just get the closest value and it should be fine. I laid it out to use Alpha PCB mounted pots, but others may fit.

I need to build first it to make sure it works, but the simulations I ran seem fine. I just ordered a panel and prototype PCBs. I should have it built in a month or so.

As soon as I'm convinced it all fits and works, I'll post the schematic and FPD panel file.

David

IMG_4464.jpg
 Description:
Original Moog panel.
 Filesize:  217.47 KB
 Viewed:  24 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_4464.jpg

Panel no logo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.02 KB
 Viewed:  22 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Panel no logo.jpg

dingebre@3dphysics.net
http://www.xmission.com/~dingebre/Synthasystem.html
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool. I used to use one of these on the Jacksonville University Moog back in 1968-69. It was very useful. I mixed all my music through it. It was very easy to get natural sounding panning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dingebre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Cool. I used to use one of these on the Jacksonville University Moog back in 1968-69. It was very useful. I mixed all my music through it. It was very easy to get natural sounding panning.

Thanks. After some consternation, I've got it all working. I eliminated any modifications, like the opamp on the output. The prototype works well and has that nice asymmetric distortion when the signal is just a little hot.

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember if when mixing to a stereo output, you can turn the top knob of an input channel with your 1st or 2nd finger and the lower know with your thumb. Then, with practice, you can control the level and the panning with only one hand. With two hands you can control 4 functions on 2 channels. I miss that using a conventional mixer with separate faders and pan controls.

That method also beats mixing with an iPad type touch screen. Let me know how it works out for you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dingebre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I remember if when mixing to a stereo output, you can turn the top knob of an input channel with your 1st or 2nd finger and the lower know with your thumb. Then, with practice, you can control the level and the panning with only one hand. With two hands you can control 4 functions on 2 channels. I miss that using a conventional mixer with separate faders and pan controls.

That method also beats mixing with an iPad type touch screen. Let me know how it works out for you.

Nice. I think the spacing and knob size will let me try that. I'll let you know.

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: