electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
CMOS video synthesis
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Top Top

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: CMOS video synthesis Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, thought you would appreciate some experiments I have been doing with video synthesis. At the moment, I am laying video on top of an existing signal, and using that signal to generate the sync to format my signals (I am just using the blank blue screen from a VCR in these videos, but this could go over a camera input, etc, as well. Eventually I will be using the blackburst out on my video mixer to generate the sync signal and have a "blank canvas" to generate images on)...

This uses the following chips:

LM1881 Video Sync Extractor - takes an incoming video signal and generates sync information from it.

4093 - Two oscillators: one tuned for horizontal line generation, one tuned for vertical line generation (basically tuned a lot higher so that the oscillator sweeps several times within each horizontal scan line).

4017 - Divides the vertical line oscillator to create variations in vertical patterns.

4069 - used to invert sync pulses from the LM1881 to trigger the necessary blanking periods.

4016 - Triggered to ground the oscillator outputs during the sync periods (to keep the image stable from a composite output).

40106 - used in a circuit similar to Tim Escobedo's "PWM" circuit (modified to cater to video signals) to alter the pulsewidth of the vertical and horizontal oscillators.

These videos were shot on my crappy phone camera, but you get the idea.

This is all still on the breadboard. Some other ideas I'd like to try:

4031 - in looper configuration to capture/loop some patterns.

4017 set up with a fader on each output, and a very high speed clock, to generate waveform tables for onscreen patterns or for animated pulsewave modulation of the other two oscillators.

commathe

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! Cool

Do you have schematics? I'm quite interested in this kind of stuff too.
Top Top

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, no I don't really have any schematics at the moment as I am still in the experimental phase, and am not 100% sure of what I am doing, or why some of the images look the way they do, still learning about video signals as I go.

Are you familiar with the way video signals are formatted, with the scan lines and the sync signals that are included off the edges of the screen?

Here's one more video from tonight. It shows the PWM control, which I am adjusting by hand to change the width of the vertical lines. I am pretty sure the blinking diagonal squares are from the divider in the circuit.

billsship

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool! Very Happy I wonder if this could be adapted to fit in existing lunetta systems to turn them into both an audio and video unit.
Top Top

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One definitely could interface both and have both going on at once, and could build a lunetta video system that is very similar in operation to audio lunettas. Video is a little more picky about what will generate a pleasing image, as many things will just look like snow or diagonal scrambled lines.

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great results, I started playing with this a while back but didn't get far.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great stuff! I never got too far with my experiments.

So I guess I should find myself an LM1881.

Thanks for sharing,
James.
Top Top

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

James, I was thinking of your stuff when I started working on this. It's not too far out from what you have been doing, just with a sync chip to help stabilize the images that do not come off the video signal input.

I tried some experiments with just running video through a divider as well, and got some interesting results.

Top Top

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And here it is in the middle of an electronic feedback loop with my video mixer.

inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

love it Top Top! keep us updated on your shenanigans!
Ruebezahl

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow this is really cool!
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: