electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
KORG announces dev. of all new ARP Odyssey synthesizer
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: KORG announces dev. of all new ARP Odyssey synthesizer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exclamation

This is getting silly. compress

http://www.korg.com/us/news/2014/0217/#sthash.35nEWPrP.dpuf

anigbrowl

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They must be putting Awesome in the water supply near the Korg HQ. They are just thinking way way ahead of everyone else lately.
adnauseam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Odyssey Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is fantastic! I'd like to see the whole Arp 2600 complete with keyboard and sequencer put out. If they can do it with today's SMT components it could be affordable.

We know nothing about a price for the Odyssey yet, do we?
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome. And it has PPC for pitch bend.

The Odyssey was in my opinion, the 2 vco synth that came closest to perfection.
adnauseam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: PPC Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsUn8t9_f9Q

"The harder you pushed the more modulation or pitch bend you got, but the reality was closer to "the harder you push the more your finger hurt"

LOL I hope they improve this.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: PPC Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adnauseam wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsUn8t9_f9Q

"The harder you pushed the more modulation or pitch bend you got, but the reality was closer to "the harder you push the more your finger hurt"

LOL I hope they improve this.

Maybe the rubber gets harder with age. I tried it on a new axxe in the late 70's and it was fantastic. So natural feeling.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adnauseam wrote:
This is fantastic! I'd like to see the whole Arp 2600 complete with keyboard and sequencer put out. If they can do it with today's SMT components it could be affordable.

You've seen http://thehumancomparator.net/ right? Smile

No keys or sequencer, but a good start, and a lot more affordable than the vintage stuff.
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
adnauseam wrote:

No keys or sequencer, but a good start, and a lot more affordable than the vintage stuff.

I think there is a thread already about that.

The main problem is it requires you buy your own components separately, and some of them are hard to find.

Some old stuff on VIRB
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
elmegil wrote:
adnauseam wrote:

I think there is a thread already about that.

The main problem is it requires you buy your own components separately, and some of them are hard to find.

Fair enough Very Happy
adnauseam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Not meaning to highjack the thread I'll say that 90% of the parts are available from Mouser (here in North America) and the other 10% are available from Thonk.co.uk and eBay. Of course providing Thonk can keep them in stock.
glow worm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anigbrowl wrote:
They must be putting Awesome in the water supply near the Korg HQ. They are just thinking way way ahead of everyone else lately.

Or maybe they noticed what Odysseys fetch on eBay and decided, "Oooh yeh - we'll have some of that, especially as we won't have to spend anything on R&D!"

Just sayin' Rolling Eyes

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glow worm wrote:
anigbrowl wrote:

Or maybe they noticed what Odysseys fetch on eBay and decided, "Oooh yeh - we'll have some of that, especially as we won't have to spend anything on R&D!"

Just sayin' Rolling Eyes

You want them go to back to specializing in romplers again?

Some old stuff on VIRB
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good article on Korg's wonder boys:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?2009

Some old stuff on VIRB
glow worm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
glow worm wrote:

Just sayin' Rolling Eyes

You want them go to back to specializing in romplers again?

No, I'd like to see them continuing to innovate and move forwards. There's nothing wrong with reinventing the past (as they have done so well with Monotron, Volca and littlebits), but you have to be careful not to end up living there.

It's like the (vastly overpriced) MS20 kit and those other bods with the ARP 2600 repro. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see the benefits - at least not for me. I mean... What would any of them actually add to my sound-producing capabilities?? Not enough that I can see, to justify the money.

Speaking of which: Any news on price? It's a higher end product than the MS20 kit, so will be over US$1399. I see three 2nd hand Odysseys on eBay for between UKĀ£2100-2799, so I'll take a punt on a launch price of US$1999.99.

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glow worm wrote:
No, I'd like to see them continuing to innovate and move forwards. There's nothing wrong with reinventing the past (as they have done so well with Monotron, Volca and littlebits), but you have to be careful not to end up living there.

The past few decades has seen an almost explosive progress in technology - perhaps we are entering a stage where things are simply calming down a bit and good ideas are explored more closely. That's progress too. Not that I disagree with you, I think Korg is playing it very safe lately and milking trends for what they are worth. Laughing

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After the 80's synths lost steam to Virtual Analog synths of the 90's, which then lost to native plugins, it's nice to see some actual analog revival going on.

It seemed a lot of the virtual analog and plugins where very much about recreating the oldies. So I'd expect the revival trend to continue that. What happens next, is the big question....I'm hoping for more hybrids like the prophet12, or better. The latest drum machines that are analog or hybrid (Akai, elektron, DSI Tempest, Korg, etc) are testament to the possibilities.

A lot less theft (can't copy hardware like you can plugins) might mean these companies just might get a budget to work with for development.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I, for one, do not blame Korg for doing what it takes to ensure continued cash flow. Apparently, making cheap analog gear that the young and/or poor can afford; and more expensive analog gear for the connoseurs/collector types who have not had the opportunity to own the originals; is what they have found works well for them. Good for them, I say. Korg is the smallest of the 3 major Japanese synth makers, and so they have the most incentive to do what it takes to survive.

Korg is obviously not sitting on its hands in the softsynth department even now - the new Gadget app for iPad is easy to use and sounds great.

The next steps we can reasonably expect to see from Korg is an expansion on the Volca product line - if you didn't read the article I posted, that is where it was mentioned - and improved integration of their IOS apps and hardware gear.

Some old stuff on VIRB
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ian-s wrote:
Awesome. And it has PPC for pitch bend.

The Odyssey was in my opinion, the 2 vco synth that came closest to perfection.

It was only surpassed by the ARP Quadra. Which was only a sampler section short of complete perfection.
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
I, for one, do not blame Korg for doing what it takes to ensure continued cash flow.

I'm very happy for them too. And I am delighted that I was wrong about Roland! Seems they have started an independent lab for their new direction.

Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: