electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
NOMAD / OSX LION 10.7.5 / MIDISPORT UNO
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
zokatrance

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject:  NOMAD / OSX LION 10.7.5 / MIDISPORT UNO
Subject description: HOW TO SET UP NOMAD and MICRO MODULAR WITH OSX LION...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. Get a PC. Laughing

2. Download Nord Modular Editor v3.03 for PC.

3. Choose correct MIDI channel on the Nord and connect cables accordingly. PC OUT connects to MIDI IN on your MIDI device, and PC IN to MIDI OUT.

4. Go to Setup > MIDI, enable and select your MIDI device ports.

5. Go to Synth > Synth Settings, change MIDI clock from internal to external, and the synth will save it automatically.

6. Throw PC away Laughing

1. Get a Mac with Lion.

2. Download Nomad from Sourceforge.

3. Make sure you have these two files in Library/Java/Extensions folder:

a) libosxmidispi.jnilib

b) osxmidispi.jar

4. Install your MIDI device's latest drivers. Mine worked with Snow Leopard drivers.

5. Open Nomad, click the little settings icon next to the Nord Modular image.

6. Choose the MIDI ports with the MIDI device name, not the ones that only say Port.

7. Finally click the little yellow diamond box and you should see the selected patch on the device.

Post here if you get this working with Mountain Lion.
quantum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi people. I wrote the previous post, but changed my name. Anyways...

Today I found out that you can only have one MIDI device, like Midisport Uno, hooked up to a Mac before opening Nomad. It could just be my Maudio or Korg Microkey devices but when I tried using the Korg and Uno at the same time on a Macbook Pro running 10.7.5, it just showed Port (1) for INs and OUTs instead of USB MIDI 1x1. So another Nomad issue could be that you can only have one MIDI device hooked up to the Mac controlling the Nord. Also, once in Nomad if you change the MIDI clock to internal under Synth Settings, Nomad will lose connection. Then you'll have to connect to a PC again and change it back to external in the PC editor. Hope that helps.
monotremata

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah us MOTU dudes figured this out too slowly but surely.. My audio interface is an 828MK2, and my MIDI interface is an old Emagic AMT8 (which is where the Nord lives).

If I turn on the AMT8, and MOTU, then open Nomad, I see the same generic MIDI port names you do and the Nord will NEVER connect. But if I start Nomad before I turn on the MOTU, everything works perfect and my MIDI ports even have the names I assigned to them in Audio MIDI setup..

I had assumed it was a MOTU thing with their driver, because at one point it all worked fine and then after moving to a new Mac, from my Leopard G4 to just a Leopard G5, it stopped working.. Later on moved to Intel/10.6 and it still didnt work. Sounds like maybe its just something that got changed in OS X's CoreMIDI, or maybe even in Java somewhere, because Nomad definitely hasnt been updated since it went from working to not working hehehe. And Apple obviously hates Java nowadays..
monotremata

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to add some new wrinkles.. Decided to go back to 10.7 since Im starting to get left out of plugin updates now.. Decided to hook up the Nord's PC I/O to the MIDI ports on my MOTU 828MK2 so I didnt have to worry about it causing the Modular to cut out randomly when using the AMT8..
No go at all.. It just does NOT like that MOTU driver. It could be a Java/MIDI/Firewire thing but I dont know enough about that.. It just flat out does not work with the MOTU at all. When Nomad starts, theres a point when it initializes my AMT8 and I see all the I/O lights flash before the app opens. It doesnt even bother with the MOTU, no MIDI activity during the splash screen at all..

Now to further complicate everything, its working fine, but now I seem to not be able to save anything into the synth anymore. Normally you have to save the patch to Slot A first, then save it again in the synth, but thats not doing anything anymore. Everytime I click save, the Nord disconnects right away and when I reconnect Ive got that lovely Error patch on screen. Time to setup a Virtual Machine I guess with XP and hope I have no USB trouble hehehe.
Gothboy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wish this would work with my setup. Booted into Lion with all other midi devices off including Firewire Digi002R interface and all I get is a big error code.
Novation SL49/Remote Zero
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Dymaxion Vehicle Music at www.dymaxionvehicle.com/
monotremata

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I gave up altogether. I'm running both Sounddiver and the Clavia editor in a WinXP virtual machine now. My AMT works, I can keep the MOTU on and hear what I'm doing, I have the keyboard floater to play it and I can save patches! Nomad came so far, it almost got there!!
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Jump to: