electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
What's going on with the filter with portamento on?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rufuss sewell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: What's going on with the filter with portamento on? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With portamento on, it sounds like the filter frequency opens all way during the glide on the way down. On the way up it starts from all the way closed. It's really obvious with a long portamento and res set to self osc. I'm using the 24db filter. With a short portamento it sounds more like a burst of white noise.

This only happens with key tracking low or off. I have no env mods.

Any clues what's going on here?
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why keytracking low or off ?
rufuss sewell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sunny pedaal wrote:
why keytracking low or off ?

I'm not sure if you're asking why it only happens when key tracking is off or low... or why would I want key tracking to be off or low.

Why does it only happen with key tracking off?:

I don't know, but I imagine with high keytracking the filter frequency has someplace specific to be so it tracks with the pitch. When it's off there is nothing to track so it loses it's mind.

Why would I want you use the filter without key tracking?:

Well, sometimes I just want the resonance to stay in one spot. Unfortunately with portamento on the resonance looses goes nuts whenever you change notes. The frequency shoots way up on a downward glide and way down on an upward glide. It sounds really terrible on basic mono leads.

But as with most problems I experience on the A6 there's usually a workaround or some esoteric parameter a few pages down in the menus that I'm missing. Like... inverted key tracking found on the processing page or somewhere on the dynamics page of the filter envelope. I dunno. I've had this thing for 9 years and it still comes up with all kinds of unexpected behavior that I have to go on a forum and ask the gurus about, haha.
rufuss sewell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah ha! I found it!

On the Portamento page there is a parameter for FLT EN. This can be set to

None
FILT1
FILT2
FLT1-2

"None" was the setting I was looking for and seems best to use when there is no key tracking. Enabling it seems best when you are using key tracking.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: