electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Power Supply and Wiring
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
b00k1sh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Power Supply and Wiring
Subject description: Request for info on building power supply and bus for DIY Modular
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see many examples in Eurorack format modular of pre-built power supplies with ribbon cables that connect rails to modules. This is probably one of the main reasons why Eurorack (along with its smaller sized modules) has taken off.

I suspect there are solutions to powering DIY modular synths with easy to understand plug and play power. In all my searching for DIY modular, I have yet to see a thorough example (by which I mean tutorial from start to finish) of building power supplies and wiring modules in a simple, easy to understand way. Smile

I want to build a modular, and I like some of the options available from MFOS, but I want to start with understanding the power supply. I would love to see some examples (pictures) of how people are wiring their modules to the power supply. I want to see how the power supply is connected to a bus that would supply +/- 12v.

My ultimate aim will be to have the ability to connect and disconnect modules from the power supply to change the dynamic of the modular setup as I build more modules, and to re-arrange the modules from time to time with ease. For that purpose, I would like to build a power supply that is simply plug and play. There is a reference to attaching supply wires to power buses on the "Synthesizer Cabinet How-To" section of MFOS, but no details.

Any resources to this end will be welcome.

Thanks!
ashleym

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's what I use

http://www.oakleysound.com/dizzy.htm

You can use connectors/plugs each end of the synth power cable. These are just power distribution boards just like a mains block. Several companies make these for the different formats. For MFOS you can use this sort of board just with the power supply giving +/-12v to the distribution board rather than the usual 15v.

It's hard to know what to tell you when I am not sure how much you already know.....

Skrog Productions

Audio files: 87

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Power....... if this is your first DIY power supply and you want to run 4 or 5 modules choose Ray's mfos wall wart power supply kit , great for a small project or a handful of modules Smile .

Big Synth...... 20 - 50 or more modules ?
This is where a dedicated and robust design is employed and the sticky point is....... mains electricity and associated adequate earthing and safety connections , protection against indirect contact / over current protection / adequate current carrying capacity and correct voltage ratings of Switch & wiring & transformer , Phew !! , that's a lot Smile , but also .... these coupled with a full understanding of Osal's fantastic & informative post here http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-51694.html .

I would say understanding all that would be a great grounding on the way to building your own mains powered large supply.

I think no one has replied to this because fear of litigation arising from mis-interpreted electrical advice is more powerfull that the shock received from touching something that should have been wired properly and correctly to begin with .

play safe. Smile

This is an unfortunate modular owner's diy supply that he wired badly , the VCO's never sounded the same again........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDLzgZdt8ZM
Dave.

Skrog Productions

Audio files: 87

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Flames & fire Smile Smile ,

Planning your system will be the best way , make a list of all the modules that are going into the synth and allow for expansion , list the total current for all the modules (some pcb's list + and - current usage) , when you have the final + and - totals you can then proceed to look at many data sheets which will help in selecting a suitable transformer & Bridge rectifier , from here on it is all about distribution of power.

Dave.

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: