electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
PHOBoS' Modular Lunetta
Page 2 of 3 [73 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: PHOBoS' Modular Lunetta`
Subject description: [4017 DECIMAL COUNTER] Module
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

next:

4017 DECIMAL COUNTER

Don't think I need to mention anything about this one, except for using the CLK INH pin to hold/run the counter,
either with a switch or remotely.

ModLunetta-4017DecCounter.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.57 KB
 Viewed:  1219 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ModLunetta-4017DecCounter.gif

modlunetta - 4017.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.05 KB
 Viewed:  1095 Time(s)

modlunetta - 4017.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: PHOBoS' Modular Lunetta`
Subject description: [4043 NOR R/S LATCH] Module

and the last of the 3:

4043 NOR R/S LATCH

It's Alive!, ALIVE!
well ok it's not really alive (yet) but it can remember some bits now. I also added an extra input for a total memory
wipe, and a switch so it can sleep sleeping but still remember the bits when it wakes up.

ModLunetta-4043RSLatch.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.03 KB
 Viewed:  1155 Time(s)

ModLunetta-4043RSLatch.gif

modlunetta - 4043.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.23 KB
 Viewed:  1037 Time(s)

modlunetta - 4043.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Absolutely fantastic machine being built Cool ! With two kids and a wife to make happy, I'm lucky to have thrown together what I have. This however is frickin' awesome. Great job on the design of the modules; both in their technical capabilities and graphic design as well.

Looking forward to the completion of your "Death Star".

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: PHOBoS' Modular Lunetta
Subject description: [Flame-LED Oscillators] module

PHOBoS wrote:

I soldered the LED's to the back of the front facing outwards, so they shine through the perfboard.
yes, I have a digital fireplace in my lunetta. Twisted Evil

Holy flurking snit. That's the best thing I've ever seen on a modular ever.
The only thing which could beat that is no less than 3 analogue meters each showing different LFOs and/or control voltages and/or frequencies.

Sounds great too, I'll have to read the rest of this when I'm not in the middle of building something Laughing

P.S. Before I forget, Mr Phobos, I have a serious offer to make if you're in the UK (for postage reasons). If you want some cheap narner sockets, I have experimented with all the best sockets for sale on rapid and I know which are the best of the best (none of those shitty ones with weak threads and flimsy nuts) so if you want some, we could co-purchase some when I buy them in bulk meaning they will be cheaper-per-socket.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Cool

Embarassed

rumblin_cynth_rampo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: PHOBoS' Modular Lunetta`
Subject description: [4093 GATED OSCILLATORS] Module

Thanks PhoBoS for all these great circuits and ideas you have posted. Much appreciated.

I have been playing around with this circuit and rather like it. But I have been wondering about the the reverse log pots for the frequency control. What are advantages in using these pots?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: PHOBoS' Modular Lunetta`

rumblin_cynth_rampo wrote:
I have been playing around with this circuit and rather like it. But I have been wondering about the the reverse log pots for the frequency control. What are advantages in using these pots?

I had the same thought, so I'm also interested in the answer. Also, does the double 4093 design help to eliminate thumps? I built some very simple 4093 single gate oscillators and they do tend to produce a thump when gated on or off.

Thanks,

Gary
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: PHOBoS' Modular Lunetta`

rumblin_cynth_rampo wrote:
..,I have been wondering about the the reverse log pots for the frequency control. What are advantages in using these pots?
With reverse pots the circuit of course works exactly the same but the control is much nicer. With a linear pot the higher frequencies are kinda
clumped together on one side of the pot, so you have a lot of change with a slide adjustment on that side, while the lower frequencies are more
smeared out. With a reverse log pot it more evenly spread across the whole range. You could use a normal log pot, but then you have to wire
it so that if you turn it clockwise the frequency gets lower.
(I have to warn you though,. once you start using reverse log pots you might not want to go back to linear and they can be a bit pricey, at least they are for me Rolling Eyes )

analog_backlash wrote:
..,does the double 4093 design help to eliminate thumps? I built some very simple 4093 single gate oscillators and they do tend to produce a thump when gated on or off.

I don't know if the double design eliminates thumps, I haven't really noticed it though. Usually it is good practise to use an extra gate to
buffer these simple oscillators (same with CD40106), because the load can have an influence on the frequency. So having an extra gate adds
some stability. (Also making 4 oscillators out of one 4093 or 6 out of one 40106 could cause some problems with oscillators interfering with eachother).
However in this case I just used it to invert the output, so it is low when the oscillator is turned off. (inverted output is high of course Cool).

rumblin_cynth_rampo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Phobos,

I had kinda worked out what the reverse log pots were doing but wasnt too sure my thinking was right. Turns out it was reverse of what I thought. Good job I asked.

Non of the big UK suppliers (RS Rapid) seem to stock reverse log pots. Farnells do but it is one of their special order items and there is a 15 UKP handling charge and they dont seem to have a big selection. Mouser sells them but again they have a big old handling charge.

As to the "thumps" I havent noticed any. It is good to buffer things though and I do like the idea of being able to use an inverted signal if I want to.

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks also PHOBoS.

I may have slightly exaggerated with the word "thumps". It's a noticeable noise when they are gated on or off and yes, I have 4 oscillators on one 4093, so that may be adding to the problem. If I have other noises going on at the same time, I tend not to notice it so much anyway. I'll try using the extra gate for future circuits.

Rumblin... one place I know that does reverse log pots is Tayda Electronics:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/potentiometer-variable-resistors/rotary-potentiometer/anti-log-reverse.html

These are based in Thailand, but I haven't had any problems with them (yet) and I know that other people on the site order from them. The only problem is the wait can be a bit long (about 7-10 days in my experience), unless you want to pay the extra for DHL. I'll probably order some reverse log pots myself soon, as I don't have any.

Gary
garcho

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really inspiring work PHOBoS, bravo!. How's it coming along?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

garcho wrote:
Really inspiring work PHOBoS, bravo!. How's it coming along?

Thanks garcho. Very Happy
I haven't done anything on it for a while, when I started I was waiting for parts for another project so I made a start on the modular lunetta. I didn't
plan on making so many modules right away but once I got into it it went pretty quick. I do have some ideas for new modules, so maybe I'll work a
bit on it in the winter. But right now I got a couple of other synths I have to finish first Cool

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: 4015 Shift Register module Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's been a while but I added another module, nothing special but very useful:
a 4015 shiftregister with a switch to select between 2x4 or 1x8 Cool

modlun - 4015 shiftregister.gif
 Description:
Modular Lunetta 4015 Shift register schematic
 Filesize:  55.26 KB
 Viewed:  1046 Time(s)

modlun - 4015 shiftregister.gif

modlunetta 4015 shift register - 02.jpg
 Description:
Modular Lunetta - 4015 Shift Register module
 Filesize:  120.79 KB
 Viewed:  655 Time(s)

modlunetta 4015 shift register - 02.jpg

modlunetta 4015 shift register - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.36 KB
 Viewed:  651 Time(s)

modlunetta 4015 shift register - 03.jpg

modlunetta 4015 shift register - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.75 KB
 Viewed:  626 Time(s)

modlunetta 4015 shift register - 05.jpg

modlunetta 4015 shift register - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.89 KB
 Viewed:  683 Time(s)

modlunetta 4015 shift register - 01.jpg

Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice! I have a 4015 as well as a 4094 in my big machine. Shift registers help mangle up the order of things and are simple to wire up. You really can't go wrong building a lunetta based on just a few oscillators, maybe a divider or 2, some shift registers and and r/2r to mix them up. The rest is just gravy Laughing !
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal wrote:
Nice! I have a 4015 as well as a 4094 in my big machine. Shift registers help mangle up the order of things and are simple to wire up. You really can't go wrong building a lunetta based on just a few oscillators, maybe a divider or 2, some shift registers and and r/2r to mix them up. The rest is just gravy Laughing !

Well said.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal wrote:

I would add some XOR's to that. But yeah with that alone you can already get a wide range of sounds Very Happy.

I wanted some more dividers/counters and was originally thinking of using a CD4520 dual 4-bit binary counter, but I went for a CD4029 instead. Besides
being able to count up and down it also has 4 preset inputs, which can be used as a digital 4-bit S&H. And with nothing connected to the inputs it works
as a reset. I just finished it (solder is stil hot Wink)

modlun - 4029 counter.gif
 Description:
Modular Lunetta 4029 Counter schematic
 Filesize:  49.09 KB
 Viewed:  868 Time(s)

modlun - 4029 counter.gif

modlunetta 4029 counter - 01.jpg
 Description:
Modular Lunetta - 4029 Counter module
 Filesize:  121.39 KB
 Viewed:  635 Time(s)

modlunetta 4029 counter - 01.jpg

modlunetta 4029 counter - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.64 KB
 Viewed:  628 Time(s)

modlunetta 4029 counter - 02.jpg

modlunetta 4029 counter - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.62 KB
 Viewed:  610 Time(s)

modlunetta 4029 counter - 03.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

current status Cool

modular lunetta (May 3, 2014).jpg
 Description:
modular lunetta (May, 3, 2014)
 Filesize:  96.34 KB
 Viewed:  808 Time(s)

modular lunetta (May 3, 2014).jpg

elektrouwe

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
...I would add some XOR's to that..... I went for a CD4029 instead

if you use a XNOR (4077) instead of the XOR(4077) and 4 diodes in wired-AND style you could probably us it as a logic comparator to generate a preset pulse. So you have 2 4bit inputs that define start & end value of the counter, right ? if this works, let us know. Smile

I use 4516 instead of 4029, because it has an extra reset pin.

have a nice solder weekend, u~
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektrouwe wrote:
if you use a XNOR (4077) instead of the XOR(4077) and 4 diodes in wired-AND style you could probably us it as a logic comparator to generate a preset pulse. So you have 2 4bit inputs that define start & end value of the counter, right ? if this works, let us know. Smile

scratch Shocked
yep I think that works. If you make two of those comparator circuits (I like them already) connected to a flipflop controlling the up/down pin you
should be able to make it bounce between 2 set points. I'll do some tests.

Quote:
I use 4516 instead of 4029, because it has an extra reset pin.

Wasn't familiar with that one, but just looked it up and it's actually a nicer version of the 4029. I don't really care for the DEC/BIN option and would
rather have a reset pin instead which is exactly what the 4516 has. Thanks for mentioning it Very Happy

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

posted a schematic here
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: modular lunetta interface module
Subject description: 16 in/outs

I made an interface module. I was originally thinking of adding 8 inputs with pulldow resistors and 8 outputs with LED's. But I might want to use it for
midicontrol to it in which case it would be nice to have 16 outputs. So I added pulldown resistors and a LEDs to every connection. As LED drivers I used
the ULN2804, which is a bit overkill but has a very practical pinlayout and 8 buffers so I only needed 2 chips.

The interface connector is a 25p sub-D connector with 2 pins removed so I can also plug in a 9p connector (8 in/out & -). The 25p connector has 3 pins
connected to + and 4 to -. One thing I'll probably make for it is a box with 16 1/4" connectors, 8 inputs with comparators and 8 buffered outputs.

edit: just found out that the extra mounting hole I added at the bottom doesn't line up with any of the holes in the mounting strip doh.
I could 'fix' it by hacking a piece of the strip and using 2 seperate nuts instead but I'll have to unscrew all the modules and remove the side from
the case to do that. And I first have to locate those nuts (if I have any left). It seems to be strong enough with out it so I could glue in a fake
screw instead (don't tell anybody).

modlun - interface.gif
 Description:
Modular Lunetta Interface module
 Filesize:  94.6 KB
 Viewed:  823 Time(s)

modlun - interface.gif

modlunetta interface - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.82 KB
 Viewed:  601 Time(s)

modlunetta interface - 01.jpg

modlunetta interface - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.33 KB
 Viewed:  634 Time(s)

modlunetta interface - 02.jpg

modlunetta interface - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.93 KB
 Viewed:  612 Time(s)

modlunetta interface - 03.jpg

DUBmatze

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phobos, can you explan why you using the Diodes at the outputs of the shiftregisters and the counters. I use the diodes only at the input of the r2r ladders. I have some (odler) modules (like drumish sounds) that dont work with just a Voltage in, they need a change from low to high. Is this a pulldown resistor issue? (i dont have my hands a long time on this circuits..... i just patch them....)
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the diodes on outputs so I can connect multiple signals to one input (it'll form an OR gate), so far I haven't really made a lot of use of that though.
And it can actually be a bit annoying sometimes when trying to connect it to something else, because you have to add a pulldown resistor. But the
interface module can take care of that. Cool

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Modular lunetta dual mux module
Subject description: CD4052

And another one finished, a 4052 dual mux. I added another mux that is just used as a bin2dec decoder to control the LED's. Since this is the same for
both halves (X,Y) I only used 4 LED's and mounted them between the X,Y in/outs.

modlunetta 4052 dual mux - 01.jpg
 Description:
Modular Lunetta 4052 Dual Mux module
 Filesize:  120.35 KB
 Viewed:  659 Time(s)

modlunetta 4052 dual mux - 01.jpg

modlunetta 4052 dual mux - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.58 KB
 Viewed:  627 Time(s)

modlunetta 4052 dual mux - 02.jpg

modlun - 4052 dual mux.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.9 KB
 Viewed:  830 Time(s)

modlun - 4052 dual mux.gif

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: modular lunetta XNOR Comparator module
Subject description: 4 bit

I have room for 3 more modules, 2 regular sized and 1 larger one the same size as the interface. I want to use the large one for a mixer so that
leaves me with 2 modules left. Some extra inverters are useful and some XOR gates aswell and if you make one input of an XOR high it functions
just like an inverter. But because I have diodes on all the outputs I can't use pullup resistors (the input would never go low). I could use a
patchcable though to make one input high if I want to use an XOR as an inverter.

But instead I choose to use XNOR gates, these work as an inverter when one input is low instead of high. And can be used like an XOR be it that
the output is inverted (I can invert it with a second XNOR gate to get a regular XOR). I also added diodes and a pullup resistor, buffered by a
transistor, as suggested by elektrouwe so the module also functions as a 4 bit digital comparator. Very Happy

modlun - 4077 XNOR comparator.gif
 Description:
Modular Lunetta 4077 XNOR Comparator schematic
 Filesize:  65.53 KB
 Viewed:  772 Time(s)

modlun - 4077 XNOR comparator.gif

modlunetta 4077 XNOR Comparator - 01.jpg
 Description:
Modular Lunetta - 4077 XNOR Comparator module
 Filesize:  95.38 KB
 Viewed:  629 Time(s)

modlunetta 4077 XNOR Comparator - 01.jpg

modlunetta 4077 XNOR Comparator - 02.jpg
 Description:
Modular Lunetta - 4077 XNOR Comparator module
 Filesize:  114.47 KB
 Viewed:  598 Time(s)

modlunetta 4077 XNOR Comparator - 02.jpg

Page 2 of 3 [73 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: