electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-3
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

peng wrote:
fonik wrote:

peng, these diagramms on the left side are elektor schematics, NOT the original ace tone schematics. the elektor magazine changed these parts in order to make them easier to built for their readers. these partly schematics are in a seperate box for exaclty this reason...

Would it be obvious to me if I could read German? Embarassed

not at all! i misunderstood it, too. Laughing it took a while until i got it. i was so focused ont he schematics that i did not read thru the test carefuly...

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik,

Did u ever find a solution for extracting a trigger here?
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i wanted to tackle this machine soon, therefor i printed out all docs that i have already.
i am even thinking of powering it from 15V to 0V instead of 0v to -15V. will have to take a closer look at the power lamp before...

mars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm picking up an FR-2L and intend to add triggers.
There's a good run-down here:
http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/newsarchive/BRA.html

However I can't find the schematics, for my model or any of the similar ones. From elektor magazine I can only get hold of the index of old issues!

Anyone got a link, or care to PM me?

cheers!

/m
tony void

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_QigKQpWos&feature=youtube_gdata_player
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello and sorry for warming up this old thread... i own a Roland Tr77 for several years and this weekend i opened it to get something useful out of it...
so far i have 2 Trigger/clock outs' for which i used u,v,w,x,y pads which are square waves of about 12-15 Volts... fed These into an lm358 on single supply and converted them to 5V/GND signals those labelled with an ' (the inverted ones or vice versa) via a 5 range Switch and those normal via 5 simple Switches on/off to another clock Output...
the neat thing with the last ones is that you can create some rhythmic pattern by switching 2 or more of them on... so you have variable gate lengths on that output... maybe 3 short and 1 Long step...

what now interests me is if someone included successfully an external clock to his Roland TR77 or even Ace Tone...

got my oscilloscope on the base of Q1 and it shows me a squarish wave with an rising edge wiggling around +1V and -4V or so...
so i don't really know what to fed at this Point if this is the correct one and don't want to start experimenting with it before i asked if anyone already found a solution...

as far as it Looks the master clock is fed to the flip-flops and Diode Matrix via D1 ... how have you connected you external clock? seems as the trace between Q1 base and D1 must be cut and the both clock signals routed via Switch to d1 correct?

cheers bastian
adambaby

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I added external sync to my TR77 years ago. Perhaps some of the info at the bottom of this page may help you...
http://www.adambaby.com/studiotech_TR-77.html

fonik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and i sold my FR-3 before modifying anything...
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Adam, thanks for your fast reply.

Have tested now the clock out of my sequencer on R4 > expecting all my hopes of success blown away in a big cloud of smoke surrounded by lightning...nothing of that happened and my tr77 is still working... Smile the result was slow change in tempo when my sequencer was at full speed (speed on tr77 at it's slowest) this also sounded sometimes a bit out of step
as far as i remember the clock Signal on my MFB Uhrzwerg was much faster than on my Oberkorn MKII... will have to test that soon with my Uhrzwerg...

then with snyc out from tr606 that worked better but i have to send the clock to a divider first... Q2 (works best for me) or Q3 of a 4024 divider chip sound okay... it's maybe not the state of the art because it ometimes get out of step but it works... fine Smile

have here a short and lousy clip of my tr606 in sync with the tr77... high tom and closed hihat from 606... later on a oscillator is connected driven by sequencer with variations of the flip-flop Outputs (U-Y) as described in my post above... usually a 4 step pattern on my sequencer but sometimes when switching one of the signals in at an given Moment the sequencer ignores the reset to step 1 command... but that's just a matter of timing when you push the switch.. the other time it's out of sync that's when i switched to clock at the Q3 Output from the 4024... this works better at antoher scale of the 606...

also i think i will do add sometime a patch matrix to create my own drum patterns... like that idea a lot... but first have to look for another top plate as this wooden thing is way to thick to stick anything through it... maybe have to re-arrange the lyre or note holder on top for the unexpected case that i can read notes sometime... or just throw it in the garbage...

@fonik ... there are still a lot of them floating around for cheap so maybe soon or anytime you'll maybe get back to it... but honestly i have to thank you for pointing me with your thread into the right direction... Wink
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wackelpeter wrote:
... there are still a lot of them floating around for cheap so maybe soon or anytime you'll maybe get back to it...

if there were that many i wonder why i was able to sell mine for 250.-EUR!? Shocked
(maybe good pictures and a well written text based on some thorough internet research helped a lot)

wackelpeter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some months ago i was unsure if i would sell my tr77 and looked a bit at ebay from time to time and they didn't go for high Prices... 1 or 2 under 100 Euro and none of those i followed hit the 200 euro bar...

Maybe it's not as pricey nowadays as now there are a lot of drum computers released on market for reasonable prices...
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just received today a big load of banana sockets to make my dream of a patchable TR77 come true...

but unfortunately whilst checking the Trigger signals for each voice i discovered that a few voices out of the "noise generator section " didn't work...
SD and HH were okay but maracas, tambourine and cymbal didn't work so far...
have checked the signal after the diodes (D310 to D314) that are placed at the collectors of the transistors (Q1-Q7) (referring to the service manual) and got a positive pulse at those who worked but not at the others... so i guess i fried those trannies when i first played around with the board when i added i a first step ext.clock in and clock out...

those trannies are 2sc372-y and a quick WWW research turned out that 2SC458 or 2sc945 could be used as substitutes... is this and is my guess of those destroyed trannies correct?

Starspawn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isnt a couple of the voices inverted triggers?
I rememeber I checked the details and someone described that so check a little more for people describing mods to it (which I searched for then) and you might find it.

Dont think that was those though, so you may be right.

Hmm, are all voices used in all sets? Might also be an issue?
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Starspawn,

thanks for your reply.
All voices are triggered by negative spikes/pulses except the guiro which is triggered by positive square pulses.
I have downloaded the service manual and there is the logic matrix chart and a list which rhythms use which voices.
Even at those who use them they didn't work...
normally you can Trigger each voice no matter which rhythm is selected when you have no rhythm selected and simply hit the start button.

wackelpeter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems as i have to go for the 2SC substitutes... have checked today if i could also use a BC548 or BC547 and must realize that the 2SC372 has it's base on the outside leg and unfortunately the trannies are mounted on the PCB with all legs close in line so there's not a chance to just place them backwards and bending 2 legs...

any other hints which characteristics must be equal for my substitutes besides:
max Power Assumption ,NPN, Ucbo, Uceo,Uebo and Ic?

wackelpeter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

took me a while before i got my "wishlist" filled up and ordered some parts at Reichelt...
Among them where the 2sc458 trannies as substitutes for those 2sc372 trannies... changed them on the 3 voices that wont Trigger and voila it works... Smile and they're pin compatible...

now my modular tr77 is almost complete... patchbay for 13 voices except guiro (which sounds i didn't like that much) including all the Trigger Outs from the logic board... ext. clock in and 2xclock/Trigger out with variable clock rate and divisions...

maybe i'm going to add an ext.gate/Trigger to -12v spike converter to Trigger some voices with an external gate...

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: