electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Some updated details on the upcoming Linnstrument
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Some updated details on the upcoming Linnstrument
Subject description: Multitouch controller by Roger Linn
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/04/roger-linns-linnstrument-finally-make-grids-expressive-music-hands/#more-33207

Some old stuff on VIRB
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one looks very interesting! I would not compare it so much to the Continuum though, there are other alternatives out there which it seems much closer to. The Soundplane is a direct competitor, although it is produced on a much smaller scale than i suspect the Linnstrument will be. It also has a similar layout, which is more like a guitar, while the Continuum is definitely derived from a Keyboard structure.
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah I see now he has added a few words to include the Soundplane (and Eigenharp too).
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Linnstrument looks to be the most affordable of these multitouch pressure-sensitive controllers. It also has the advantage of standalone operation that the Soundplane does not have.

OTOH, Soundplane can send OSC while Linn opted to not implement it, so this might be a consideration for some potential customers.

Continuum is the most expensive, but has an optional CV interface and built-in virtual modular and physical modelling synth engines, which improves value for the money considerably.

Eigenharp is almost as expensive as Continuum, but has discrete keys, breath controller option, MIDI and OSC support, etc.. but then again cannot run standalone.

How wonderful that our choices of these alternative instruments is growing, to address a variety of musical needs.

Some old stuff on VIRB
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Continuum does not do OSC either. It uses multi-channel pitch bend and can do NRPN's for the two other 'dimensions' on its playing surface so its not so bad.

The built in synth is one of the best I have ever heard, and although it is hard to learn at first, very flexible and unique. It is a perfect fit for the physical instrument.

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My fantasy controller rig is a Linnstrument for harmony parts and half-size Continuum for melody lines.

I've always liked the OSC concept, but I'm still committed to using the hardware synths in my rig, and none of them support OSC. I was inspired by the comment discussions on CDM to look up NPRN implementations in my Korg M3 and Nord Modular G2. The M3 has 4 CC numbers that can take NPRN, if I read the manual correctly. I forgot to look up whether 14-bit pitch bend is also supported. The G2 apparently doesn't have native NPRN support, but a workaround is available using patching techniques:

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-66929.html#66929

So the remaining question is whether Linnstrument itself can transmit 14-bit MIDI.

Some old stuff on VIRB
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm... I may have been too quick about the Continuum sending out NRPN's - it looks like it doesn't. Sorry about that. :s

However, the important part is the pitch, which is by standard always 14 bit, in all synths. You can choose any two CC's for the two remaining parts that make up a voice/channel. I have never had any problems with this while playing external synths, but I suppose it could be down to my playing style a bit maybe.

One thing to be aware of is that the Nord Leads (and probably also the Modulars by default) have a non-standard exponential curve on their pitch bend, which works well with their own pitch stick, but it does not work with the Continuum. You want a linear pitch bend for a predictable pitch tracking across the Fingerboard. You could possibly make up for this by programming the Fingerboard surface to compensate, but this is not something I have explored yet.

The internal synth is where it really shines IMO. The Eaganmatrix is based upon the matrix of the VCS3, but where each point can be a mathematical function of pitch, pressure and front/back position, plus a lot more. An other point which is rarely mentioned is that there is a (digital AES3 only) input on it, which can be patched into any point on the matrix, for audio rate modulation, or for turning the Continuum into a giant Kaoss Pad. Smile

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CDM's Peter Kirn follows up the Linnstrument article with some love for Continuum, and highlight's Roger Linn's own admiration for Haken's instrument.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/04/watch-haken-continuum-rival-string-instruments-expression/#more-33232

I just sold my Voyager so I'm a tiny bit closer to my gear ambition. Cool After listening to that amazing Continuum demo, I can confidently say I'd be happy just playing that patch without ever learning how to program any of the internal synths in Continuum. I enjoy playing viola and electric vioiln, but it would be nice to be able to play some of that stuff with one hand while playing harmony parts with the other, in the rare event that I play live - I currently use my bowed instruments with Octatrack to summon up a racket. Lacking any high-res MIDI support other than pitch bend wouldn't bother me because the internal engine sounds so good to my ears.

Some old stuff on VIRB
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...and yet another CDM article! Very Happy

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/04/midi-works-linnstrument-sometimes-14-bits-enough/

Seems this one is a direct response to your comments in the first article. Smile

robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This might be of interest too:

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2014/04/roger-linn-on-linnstrument-and-new.html

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool

Encouraging new so far. I just posted some more questions to the new blog post. Smile

Some old stuff on VIRB
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
The Linnstrument looks to be the most affordable of these multitouch pressure-sensitive controllers. It also has the advantage of standalone operation that the Soundplane does not have.

Where did you see/what is the expected price? I confess to not reading closely but usually such things are easy to pick out.
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Where did you see/what is the expected price? I confess to not reading closely but usually such things are easy to pick out.

Peter Kirn was talking about a price in the region of a Macbook Pro... as opposed to a small used car price. Razz

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So the price of a good instrument, not an elite instrument. Wink

Good to know!
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

It's buried in the first article:

Quote:
But it seems we can expect something in the more accessible MacBook Air price range, rather than the “small used car” price point of boutique devices like the Continuum.

Some old stuff on VIRB
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:

One thing to be aware of is that the Nord Leads (and probably also the Modulars by default) have a non-standard exponential curve on their pitch bend, which works well with their own pitch stick

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Might take a bit of extra work to get proper-sounding vibrato and pitch bends out of my G2 using Linnstrument as a controller, but I'm sure there's some way of patching it so I'll get the expected behavior. Or I could just use Linnstrument on the Korg M3.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: