electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
What about the VCF and ADSR Modules from Hearn Morley
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
acidblue

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: What about the VCF and ADSR Modules from Hearn Morley Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anybody make the VCF from the HM2040 module??
https://sites.google.com/site/hearnmorley/products/hm2040

I'm asking cause I like to make a few myself, but after looking at the
example schems I noticed it doesn't show where to place pots for frequency and resonance, or am I missing something?

Also The HMADSR1c module schem shows CV inputs for modulating ADSR but what about manual control, where would one place pots??
https://sites.google.com/site/hearnmorley/products/hmadsr1c
bod

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it depends on how you use the filter, as the state variable filter HM2040StateVariableFIlterExample.pdf (72k) has input for the resonance CV (0-10V) and an input for the cutoff labelled as "CV", where as the example 4 pole filter in the data sheet has the res pot in the feed back loop, but the cutoff input is labelled "1V/Oct".

for the ADSR you can attach pots to the inputs, ADR expect 10V CV's in the Typical Connection Diagram, where as the sustain is between 0-VPK. VPK being the voltage set by the two resistors on the VPK pin. again just attaching the wiper of a pot to this inpot and the out lugs to GND and 10V or VPK respectfully will give you perfect input voltages for manual control.

there was another thread on here somewhere about these modules. they look pretty cool i have to say but I havent used them, yet.
acidblue

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to use the filter module as a state variable filter.
So what your saying is I can place a pot for frequency where it has 'CV' and one at the 'resonance'?.
Can I place a CV input in parallel so I can have external modulation as well?

As for the ADSR module I would also like to have both manual and external CV control, so as per your suggestion I was thinking I could place pots in parallel to the inputs after the resistors.
magman

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure if you have picked this up, but the HM2040 module is a clone of the SSM2040 chip, so you can substitute it for any designs that use this chip.

Regards

Magman
bod

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can sum the pots and jack inputs together with resistors, or use op amps for active mixing, either would do ultimately though.
acidblue

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was thinking something like this.

The pot would be for manual adjusting without the need for CV in, but I would still like to have CV control as well.

bod

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i would add a resistor to the wiper of the pot the same as the input of the jack, but also i would only connect the pot to GND and +12v, as the control voltage range of the ADSR inputs are 0-10V. Youd find there is also dead space on the pot where the voltage goes beyond 10v, so a suitably calculated resistor on the +12v side (acting as a voltage divider witht the pot so it sweeps between 0-10v) and would give you the full range of use.
acidblue

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok thanks, I'll have to go buy some modules now and give it a try. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: