electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
New gear!
Page 73 of 74 [1832 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 71, 72, 73, 74 Next
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys,

Concerning the interface, it obviously isn't as good as having loads of knobs but they have done a half decent job.

You do end up clicking a lot of buttons to get around though, the basic way it works is you press the button to select the module you are interested in, then you have 4 buttons under the display that select sub-pages.

There is full CC or NRPN for every parameter so it should be pretty easy to set up for external controllers, I have started working on a Lemur one. The main issue with the midi implementation is that there is no way to request the current patch dumped as CCs or NRPNs, so feedback to any controller when patches change is a no no.

The display itself is very nice, better than the one on the Tempest which is also pretty nice.

Why they didn't put the sliders on it I don't know, this was a serious omission.

The mod matrix is very good, there are 8 fixed source mod lines for the LFOs and Envs and 16 mod lines that allow the source and dest to be set, a mod line can effect another mod line so they can act like VCAs. The modulation system runs at audio frequency, each OSC can be used as a source and also the Audio Out. There is a useful DC offset source as well.

The FM is a bit disappointing as they went for exponential FM so it can be a bit hard to tame in the tuning department, hopefully they may add linear or phase in the future.

The voice allocation stinks a bit, you can have a 12 voice, two 6 voices, two 6 voices stacked, a single voice with unison using all 12, or a single voice. A more flexible system would be much better.

The LFOs are pretty good, You can have them free running or reset with phase offset, there is also a slew rate which is a nice touch.

The OSCs are pretty flexible as well, sync, FM and AM on each one. For the Saw you hate a shape mod that changes the symmetry, for pulse its the pulse width, for the triangle it changes the shape sort of thins it out, for the sine it adds another sine an octave above if you lower the shape, or distorts it if you raise it. The other wave shapes can be sort of morphed, you choose three of them and the shape mod morphs between them somehow, even if you choose three the same it still has an effect so I am not too sure what is going on there.

The digital 'character' section I haven't played with too much, there is a low and hi end exciter sort of thing, bit rate reduction and sample rate reduction and a drive which actually sounds pretty good.

The LP Filter sounds the same as the other current DSI synths, the HP filter has resonance but will not self oscillate by default, you can use the mod matrix to add a DC offset to the Resonance to get it to go a bit, but it gets pretty nasty sounding quite quickly.

The Arp is a pretty standard affair, you can lock the held notes and then edit them to create a basic sequence, this can then be played on any key.

The tuned feedback is like on the evolver but seems a bit easier to tame.

The four delay lines work ok, they have a low or hi pass filter on the feedback and pan, I haven't managed to get a decent chorus of flanger using them yet but it is early days.

So the important thing is how does it sound, I think it sounds very good. Some of the presets are just beautiful, I haven't manage to make anything that sounds beautiful yet but it is early days.

Overall I am very pleased with it.
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the detailed review, Andy!

My latest acquisition:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Alto ZMX862
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dropped a table on my portable Yamaha mixer in the early spring, so here is its much more portable replacement. For Zero-Input Mixer I'll miss the compressors and FX built into the Yamaha, but I plan on putting software in the ZIM feedback path(s) anyway, so no big loss. This will be much handier for most of my uses, due to the size.

The Yamaha was cheap and colored the sound, making it a poor general purpose mixer, although good for ZIM.

DSCN1942.JPG
 Description:
Alto ZMX862
 Filesize:  5.49 MB
 Viewed:  589 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DSCN1942.JPG

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
seraph wrote:

You got that AND an MP6? Wow!

no, I sold the MP6 and got the new one Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I decided to treat myself to a birthday present, so I got a Mopho. Can't wait to try it out, because salesperson forgot to include power adapter (it was the display model, got a discount on that). Going to use my MS-20 controller with it. This should be fun!

16030_10202703163340700_8644146587166448880_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.01 KB
 Viewed:  22835 Time(s)

16030_10202703163340700_8644146587166448880_n.jpg

audiodef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
seraph wrote:

You got that AND an MP6? Wow!

no, I sold the MP6 and got the new one Wink

I looked up "mp7" and was greeted by a page full of guns. "mp7 synth" got me a page full of E-Mu stuff. Finally found the Kawai. Razz

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Audiodef wrote:
decided to treat myself to a birthday present

Happy Birthday banana party time! banana

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
audiodef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Audiodef wrote:
decided to treat myself to a birthday present

Happy Birthday banana party time! banana

Thanks, Howard! Smile

onewayness

Audio files: 19

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
I decided to treat myself to a birthday present, so I got a Mopho. Can't wait to try it out, because salesperson forgot to include power adapter (it was the display model, got a discount on that). Going to use my MS-20 controller with it. This should be fun!

Enjoy! I had a Mopho for about a year, I liked it, played a few shows with it, and then ultimately got rid of it.

My Mopho to me epitomizes the circle of life of the electo-music swap meet. I bought it one year from Al from Audio Mace, and then the next year I swapped it to Robert Dorschel straight up for an Akai MiniAK. Wink

onewayness

Audio files: 19

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My new toys:

glow worm

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

onewayness wrote:
My new toys:

I'm still waiting for the MeeBlip Micro - it seems to have fallen by the wayside Sad

pyrosonic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haven't been here in a while.A bit of catching up:

The MPK 225 comes with a ton of pretty decent virtual instruments.

Rapture Pro I got mainly because it would allow me to use my DimemsionPro sounds which Cakewalk stopped support for MacOS several versions back.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
Oskar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got a Soundcraft UI 12, a browser based mixer. So far, so good, I've fairly easily been able to set up a few nice snapshots, using the built-in Lexicon reverb and delay, as well as DBX dynamic processors. I haven't checked out the Digitech guitar processing bit yet, but there are two hi-z inputs that'll let you set up some electric guitar sounds that should be workable.
It should help setup on small, cramped stages, which is where I usually have to play. Looking forward to putting it through its paces live soonish.

UI12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  148.39 KB
 Viewed:  385 Time(s)

UI12.jpg

Oskar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Soo, I tested my new UI12 today, with my music students, it worked a treat!
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New to me at least:

IMG_20150618_204522780.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.26 MB
 Viewed:  341 Time(s)

IMG_20150618_204522780.jpg

KarmanHardon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An a&h Saber Plus MkII. For the money I had to spend, I was going for a mix wizard of some type. But then this popped up on the classifieds one morning. It has a problem with the control room section but I can very easily live with this. It is otherwise perfect. I am liking those SIXTEEN (16!!! drunken ) busses a lot. I finally have six sends and can go really nuts with feedback loops using any old crusty delay box and spring reverb... it's my favorite thing in the world.

475 bucks. I was never expecting to fish this out.

Also... it was stored at the small appartment of his friend who is going to be a dad soon. The thing HAD to get out, apparently..[/i]
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow that's a massive device. Congratulations! Smile
KarmanHardon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! Yeah it's massive. I have the space, though... and a 16 channel job would have felt constrictive anyway... and would have forced me to use my mackie on the side for some things, which I was not feeling too hot about. I used 24+ channel consoles before and I really love the flexibility. So that's why I did not hesitate to steer away from my initial plan to get something rather smaller.
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a nice find. I hope you'll post some of the things you come up with. Large and complex feedback setups are amazing fun! Very Happy
Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Noice Very Happy
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So what's it like?
Antimon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have nothing to complain about so far.

No mod matrix, but tons of routing possibilities using the various (extremely stiff) switching knobs.

I've tried a few of the patch points to and from my modular and it worked as well as I could have hoped. Three of the patch points are essentially copies of what is controlling the three internal oscillators respectively - it was a cool feeling to get a combination of pitch, lfo vibrato and glide applied to an external oscillator on the modular. At one time I wanted an lfo to modulate osc3, but I had used up the routing for that one. I solved that by patching in an lfo from my modular onto osc3 - piece of cake!

The sequencer is advanced with note, glide and a modulation of a selected parameter (you basically simulate after touch with a knob as you're programming the sequencer, and whatever you've set after touch to control will be controlled). The arpeggiator is pretty advanced, if you latch it you can add multiple notes so it plays e.g. CCECCECCE... And you have it play back notes in the order you played them.

The ring modulators on the oscillators make for various rough kinds of sounds that I really like. Same thing with FM in some settings. First time I've found FM on a synth useful, outside of a DX7!

The basic sound of the oscillators is nice - I like the creaky narrow pulses.

Generally I feel that sounds that often get a bit too sharp on other synths - like FM, ring modulation, sweep over synced oscillator - have a more gentle and pleasant feel on this one. It doesn't have a distortion knob and I don't need it - for chainsaw sounds I'll switch on the Evolver.

Twelve filters! I like switching between the four different low pass filters (they differ in pole count) to get some higher frequencies through - or not. They all start to self-oscillate wildly just a bit past half on the resonance knob. The bandpass seem useful too.

One thing I struggle with is getting a deep bass sound (you can get a decent sine tone by dialing the filter resonance up, it tracks perfectly, though that sound is a bit limited), but I have other synths that do that well.

I am going to spend some time diving into this one, but already I can say that it will be a nice companion. Smile

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't realise it had 12 different filter choices!

Is the FM linear?
Antimon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Is the FM linear?

Not sure... is there an easy way to tell?

Page 73 of 74 [1832 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 71, 72, 73, 74 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: