electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Using a YuSynth LFO 2 to modulate a Korg MS20
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
WooDaWii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Using a YuSynth LFO 2 to modulate a Korg MS20
Subject description: modifying the LFO to output +-5v
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Me and one of my good friends do some electronic music and he happens to have a Korg MS20. However one of the things that annoy him a lot is the MS20's inability to sync the LFO with the track using a pulse from an audio interface. I am looking to build a modular synth and found that the version 2 of the yusynth LFO might be the solution to his problem. However from what I know yusynth modules use +10 to -10 signals while the MS20 uses +5 to -5. I am also looking towards building a few yusynth VCOs, LFOs and envelopes and eventually more.

Would the yusynth LFO work with the MS20 without modifications? What power supply should I use? And concerning the modular I plan building on my side, I would be making moog format panels since synthesizers.com uses it, but strangely haven't been able to find the height and width of the panels. Any tips would be much appreciated as I am not an electronics/modular guru.
capicoso

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The yusynth lfo waveforms are 10vpp, that is +/- 5v. So yes, it'll work.
For the power supply you have to use a bipolar one +15v / 0v / -15v, check musicfromouterspace for a diy psu.
The size of the panels if I remember correctly, are 8,75" tall and 1U is 2.125", 2U is the double of 2.125" and so on. The lfo is 1U, the vco 2U.
WooDaWii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info!!! I'll be beginning the build this week!
roglok

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i assume what you are looking for is an LFO where the duty cycle follows the tempo of a track. while the yusynth LFO has a "sync" input, this input does not lock the LFO to a tempo, but rather resets the phase of the LFO waveform ("oscillator sync" vs. "clock sync").

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

if you are looking for clock sync, check out these:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/?page_id=1359
http://www.electricdruid.net/forums.html?page=projects.lfo9
WooDaWii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Didn't know about that, thanks for explaining. I already have ordered and etched the boards so I guess we'll just adjust the LFO as near to the tempo as we can and send a signal to the sync input every beat so it doesn't drift. Not perfect but still much better than what he had before. I can see that being able to restart the LFO would be more useful than being able to clock it though, just so every note sounds the same when it's played.
roglok

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry, posted the wrong IC reference above. i meant Tom Wiltshire's Tap Tempo LFO: http://www.electricdruid.net/forums.html?page=projects.taplfo
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: