electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Experimental
Promenade
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Promenade
Subject description: First output of new G2ool
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone, here is a prf featuring the first output of a new web based tool I'm working on.

It basically takes a standard midi file, displays track info and notes on a grid, then re-factors the notes to fit into a g2 patch that you can download.

I'm not completely happy with the inter variation switching, but I think it stands as a good proof of concept.

Will post later with more info about the tool itself.

Don't forget to press play.

Promenade.prf2
 Description:
sample

Download
 Filename:  Promenade.prf2
 Filesize:  26 KB
 Downloaded:  4601 Time(s)

ian-s

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a screen shot of the app. Still need to tidy up the code and add some features.

[/img]

mid2pch2.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.97 KB
 Viewed:  885 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

mid2pch2.PNG

Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like it! How many bars max, 32 ?

Quote:
a new web based tool

you mean the tool will be hosted online ?
ian-s

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The template chains four seqlev modules for each row, I'm sure we could do eight for 8 bars per variation but we might have to spill into the fx area.

The first template works ok for 4:4 that is quantised to 16th notes. I have another that uses the x6 clock to give fewer bars at a higher timing resolution.

The bottleneck is the number of unique notes per variation. The allocation algorithm resets each note send to the note values used in the current variation while preserving any row that had the gate on in the last step of the previous variation. There is also only one velocity per step so it represents an average of all notes starting in that step.

The app is just standard HTML/css/javascript which will run on chrome/Firefox/safari. It almost runs on IE10 but the download link doesn't seem to work.

I'm not sure at the moment if I'll put it on line or make it available as a zip that you can run locally. I have a homepage account with my ISP but I think I have used all my space.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you wish so Ian, I could put it up here on the electro-music server.
ian-s

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jan

This site would be the most logical place to put it. I have found a 15Mb video on my homepage that was no longer required so looks like I have plenty of space for the Alpha version for the moment.

The app and resources are only about 70Kb so far.

So here is the link for the alpha.

This is purely alpha software at the moment so don't expect too much.
A lot of work to do yet.

You will need to download some midi files to your local computer and the template attached here. I used muss_7.mid which you should be able to find with google.

Known issues.

The code is currently dependent on the structure of the template patch, you can customize it but deleting any of the notesend or seqlev modules may cause problems.

I haven't coded for sysex in the midi file so it may fall over if present.

BasicSeq32.pch2
 Description:
Template for Mid2G2

Download
 Filename:  BasicSeq32.pch2
 Filesize:  9.54 KB
 Downloaded:  4521 Time(s)

Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Before I used an external sequencer to fit a MIDI file into a g2 patch. It's very fast with your tool. It works well! Thanks!
ian-s

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad it is helpful.

New link has better version. The patch has been de-glitched properly with s&h modules. The page also lets you alter the time ref so if you have a file where the min note value is 1/4, you can scale it to get twice the length (halving tempo). Other factors allow for increase time resolution, the 1:6 might require switching to the 1/96 clock output.

Edit:
The last fix I did this morning corrected an issue with gates not extending to the last step in a variation seems to have caused some notes to be dropped. Will look at it again this evening.

When working, the code will go into a general purpose app that will accept midi, bin, wav, scala etc. I'm thinking of allowing js in the text pad of a pch2 file so you can write code to set sequence levels etc.

Another example prf2

gymnop01.prf2
 Description:
Another output from system

Download
 Filename:  gymnop01.prf2
 Filesize:  25.99 KB
 Downloaded:  4498 Time(s)

ian-s

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ian-s wrote:
The last fix I did this morning corrected an issue with gates not extending to the last step in a variation seems to have caused some notes to be dropped. Will look at it again this evening.

Turns out some of the compressed notes were simply running into each other. Added some code to make sure the last 16th step before a gate start is zero.

I think the code is good to translate over to the main app now but I'll take a little break.

(updated the last prf to a version with the forced re-trigger)
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really nice! I wonder if any guy of Clavia has found your latest experiments here.
pablomastodon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dorremifasol wrote:
Really nice! I wonder if any guy of Clavia has found your latest experiments here.

I'm not sure about the Swedes, but I have. You guys are like some insane closet wizards to concoct this amazing stuff. AMAZING STUFF!

Probably a safe bet that Clavia has seen it...

Bless,

Pablo Mastodon
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Experimental
Jump to: