electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 midi auto assigment is crap?
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
richard s

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: G2 midi auto assigment is crap? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm disappointed to report that the G2 automatic midi assignment is a mess and doesn't make much sense.

Or are others using it successfully?????

On some patches I find it will start 3 4 6 8 then go to 10 12 etc, on another it will go 2 3 5 6 8 9 and so on. It will even use different controllers on the same patch at different attempts. It doesn't seem to have much relationship to whether or not controllers are already used. For example I associated cc2 with a morph group to stop the auto assign using it but sometimes it uses it anyway... there is no way I can rationally plan a midi control surface around it.

so I can't see any coherant use for this feature - unless I can control exactly which assignments (basically those I already assigned to my doepfer) it will use. Ultimately I repeat my request for a fully configurable midi map in which the user not Clavia says what CC80, cc19 etc are associated with...

the current system is an ugly compromise and the auto-bit errmmm doesn't work properly. Unless somebody knows better?

Richard
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have tried to use the MIDI auto assign feature. Unfortunately, I have to concur with your observations. This feature could be very powerful, but it would take a lot of development. I think it is there as a quick convenience and as such is useful, or at least better than nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah it sucks Sad. The big problem is the way it assigns the buttons for knobs. It goes through and assigns the knob, then the associated button (for example osc pitch and pitch type), and if the knob has no associated button it will go to the next midi cc number for the next knob instead of skipping it. You could get it to work predictably if it would map out the midi cc's to go knob, button, knob, button etc., and then if a function it was mapping didn't have a knob or button, it would leave that knob or button unassigned and move to the next. That way everything stays in order and things don't go weird the way Richard described.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if that makes sense, so I'll do a quick diagram...

Osc Pitch [knob] 2
Osc Pitch type [button] 3
Osc Fine [knob] 4
Osc KBT [button] 6
Osc Wave [knob] 8
Osc Shape [knob] 10

This is how the G2 currently assigns midi to these functions. The reason why it skips some cc's is because it only uses cc's that aren't already being used for other things (like mod wheel which is usually cc 1 for example). The way it should work is this:

Osc Pitch [knob] 2
Osc Pitch type [button] 3
Osc Fine [knob] 4
Osc KBT [button] 6
Osc Wave [knob] 8
unused [button] 10
Osc Shape [knob] 12
unused [button] 13

That way, if you have your controller mapped out so each knob has it's own button, and the button is assigned to the next available cc from it's associated knob, you can get predictable, usable assignments. This would make things a hell of alot better for us engine/controller users.
Jason

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please excuse my confusion but are we talking about the G2 keyboard or engine? Or does that not make a difference?
I assign midi stuff manually in the editor to my controller.
I am using the engine.
I wish this had a midi learn function like some soft synths , that is another topic though. I want to understand this issue more.
Thanks
Afro88

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is applicable with either one. If you go into parameter overview in the tools menu, there's a "assign midi" function which automatically assigns controllers to anything that has been assigned to the G2 front panel.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking for, but there is a learn function for assigning midi. Just select the knob/button you want to learn midi for, turn the knob/press the button on your controller and then press the L key. Done! Smile

I usually manually assign midi too with the learn function, but it would be handy when trying out other people's patches to be able to quickly assign the midi in one go in a straight forward and predictable way. Actually, if the auto assign worked properly I'd probably end up assigning functions to the software g2 panel first and then use the auto midi function with my own patches. It would make things really easy because the BCR's and the G2's knobs are in groups of 8 (so are many controllers), so it would be nice to visually see where everything could go first, then assign it all to midi in one go.
Jason

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Embarassed

Wow , I can not believe I over looked that learn function.
Anyway, now I understand this and thank you very much.

Wink
rnp

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, I overlooked this too.. I never imagined this would be a feature in the first place, got used to doing cc assignments manually (and the interface for that is crappy already). pity it doesn't work properly, might just as well forget it exists again. Laughing
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How's this for an idea on improving the auto-design. It should just be consistent. For every knob and button on the paramater pages there should be a corresponding CC that is used no matter whether there is a knob assigned there or not. That A1/knob1 is always CC2 (or whatever), E3/knob8 is always CC111 (or whatever). That way, when you assign a knob to a particular knob, it would almost automatically be associated with a particular CC. Then you could program up your MIDI controllers with only one preset to take over controlling the G2. This would make the MIDI auto-assign work in a logical and predictable manner.

There would be the case where you had already manually assigned a function on the parameter pages to a CC. I'd say, if you do this, then don't use the auto-assign else it will be reassigned.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Afro88

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a great idea Mosc. That'll make it so easy: every patch that has stuff assigned to the parameter pages is able to be controlled right off the bat. And people with fixed cc controllers can still assign knobs and stuff manually. That's one for the wishlist...

Done: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-6391.html
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Kid. I think I could have explained it better, but I'm glad you got the gist of it.

Wait, you changed your username! Shocked

Very confusing, but I hope you feel better with the new identity. Thanks for not changing the avatar at the same time. Laughing

Afro88

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Thanks, Kid. I think I could have explained it better, but I'm glad you got the gist of it.

Wait, you changed your username! Shocked

Very confusing, but I hope you feel better with the new identity. Thanks for not changing the avatar at the same time. Laughing

Haha, yeah, this is my usual username. I think when I joined electro-music I was having an identity crisis Laughing

Actually, I think I liked that name at the time and grew tired of it a week later. I only realised you could change your username on these forums recently, so I reverted back to the old Afro88, which I'm more comfortable with. I was considering changing it to "mosc v2" or "Red Hell" or something for a day as a joke but thought better of it Laughing
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most forums don't allow the changing of usernames. Now I see why! Laughing
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: