electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » PAIA Equipment
PAIA Wind and Surf Synthesizer
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that Dan,

I was hoping that would be the answer.
RC2525

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice, and your panels combine the old PAIA module style (plain metal background) with the new (black with light legend). How did you do your panels?
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RC: panels are 1/16" Al with a coat of gold automotive paint. Then a lasertran panel decal with the graphics is applied over it. Then automotive clear coat. Finally baked in a repurposed toaster oven at about 225F for an hour.

For the decal, I just create a black square with rounded corners and a red border and use a white font for the lettering. The white is basically clear when the decal is made, so the background gold becomes the color of the lettering.

altern8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Really happy to find this thread! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Wind Machine was going to be my next project! Good to see the 9v Surf Machine alternate here too. I'm gonna try out both. Could someone tell me what the major differences are between the Wind and Surf versions? Also where does one get 30uf 10v caps?
donpachi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can use any voltage rating greater than 10 V, the caps will usually just be bigger physically. 30 uF is rather uncommon, you could either put three 10 uF caps in parallel or use a 27 or 33 uF cap. Most electrolytic caps are quite imprecise regarding their capacitance anyway (e.g. 10-20 % variation).

Depending on the location in the circuit, you might even get away with using an entirely different (greater) value.
altern8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! You confirmed my thoughts on the matter.

I'd still like to know (without hours of study) what essentially differs between the "Wind" and "Surf" machines.

I love this forum!

donpachi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The PAiA surf synth I made operates by playing noise through a modulated lowpass filter. This preserves the deep rumble of the waves. Wind machines use other filter types, I guess (highpass or bandpass) without having looked at wind machine projects Embarassed
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » PAIA Equipment
Jump to: