electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
MFOS 16-step sequencer rate is too fast
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
vitamineli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: MFOS 16-step sequencer rate is too fast Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everybody, hoping I can find the help I need in this forum.

I assembled the MFOS 16-step sequencer, and it's mostly working, and I'm already getting great sounds out of my synths connected to it. However, it does have a few kinks that I'm trying to iron out.

Most of them have to do with the gates, and seem to be covered by this post (http://electro-music.com/forum/post-401288.html), even though that is for the 10-step sequencer. In short, it recommends trying a new, non-TI 40106 chip, which I have on order from Jameco. If that doesn't work, I'll repost with more specifics.

However, there is an issue that I don't foresee a new 40106 chip solving: at the very lowest position, my 1M potentiometer for the sequence rate still has the sequence flying by, somewhere around 16th notes at 130 BPM. At the highest position, it's actually cycling at frequencies well up into the audio spectrum, which is kinda cool, but not super-useful as far as meaningful sequencing goes. So the question is, does anyone know how to slow the sequencer rate down to a more useful range, perhaps by swapping out the rate potentiometer or a resistor somewhere else?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to learning more and more about this stuff on this forum, as I'm relatively new to synth-assembling.

Eli
prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd check whether you've got the correct value for C10 (1uf = 1000nF). The clock rate should simply be determined by C10 and R19 (R18 and R23 also contribute, but really only serve to limit the minimum rate) At 1M and 1uF, you should get in the region of 1 Hz - sounds as if you're at least 1000 times that, which rather suggests the wrong value cap, 1nF perhaps?

Peter
vitamineli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peter, thanks so much! I had accidentally put a .1uF tantalum cap in there, I have the 1uF on order now and will report if that fixes it, which I imagine it will.

For those paying attention, the new 40106 chip didn't help my gating situation, so I metered the output of my gate jack and saw it was giving negative voltage (which I should have done in the first place). I had wired the 3.5mm jacks backwards, since they were a type I hadn't used before. Oops! At least it was an easy fix to rewire them all. That also explains why my fine and coarse pots were operating backwards, which was going to be my next question! Now all gates and CV pots are working beautifully.

Back to the rate issue, I'm now contemplating putting a switch in to choose between the "proper" 1uF C10 and the "wrong" .1uF one I have in there. Some pretty cool sounds start emanating at the extreme cycle rate which I don't think I want to lose access to...

Thanks again,
Eli

prgdeltablues wrote:
I'd check whether you've got the correct value for C10 (1uf = 1000nF). The clock rate should simply be determined by C10 and R19 (R18 and R23 also contribute, but really only serve to limit the minimum rate) At 1M and 1uF, you should get in the region of 1 Hz - sounds as if you're at least 1000 times that, which rather suggests the wrong value cap, 1nF perhaps?

Peter
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: