electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Lunetta Pulse/Trigger/Gate Delay
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
nathanxl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Lunetta Pulse/Trigger/Gate Delay Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi.
I have a need to variably (prefferably with a pot) delay a pulse (a gate from a 4024 shift register) from about a milisecond up to maybe 2seconds long.
Basically I have the 4024 outputs going through gate to trigger circuits and then Im using the triggers to drive small motors that pluck strings... Now I want to be able to dampen the strings with solenoids just after they are plucked...
Im sure there is a simple Lunetta solution to this that maybe uses one chip and a few other components.
Do any of you gurus have experience with this kind of circuit?
Im aware I will need to beef things up to drive the solenoids its just the delay part that has this noob baffled.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

first thing that came to mind was a 555 in monostable mode but that just changes the length of the pulse, maybe if you invert it
add some extra logic that might be usefull.

something with a shiftregister ? clk sets delay time, but you would need a flip flop or something at the data input if the pulse
is shorter then a CLK cycle. You could use some logic to control the time digitally too by setting the number of places it shifts.
(a mux that selects where you take the pulse out)

Last edited by PHOBoS on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: PHOBoS - Pulse Delay schematic
Subject description: 1 NAND to delay them all
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I couldn't let it rest so I tried something. I wanted to make it with only 1 IC and managed to get it working with a CD4093 Cool

U1c and U1d form a S/R flip flop which 'captures' the pulse. Because it works on active low levels there's an extra transistor
inverter at the input. So when the "Pulse In"- get's a high signal U1d's output becomes high and stays high even when the
input is low again. The 4.7uF capacitor is (slowly) charged through the 500K pot until it reaches the treshold level
of U1a. When this happens the output of U1a will become low (inverted by U1b for the pulse out) which will then (slowly)
discharge the 1uF capacitor (500K) untill it drops below the treshold level of U1c. Which will reset the flip flop.
The 4.7uF cap is now quickly discharged through the diode, the output of U1a become high again and the 1uF is quickly
charged.

If the pulse input is still high after the cycle ends the pulse out will also stay high untill the input becomes low again.

PHOBoS - Pulse Delay.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.14 KB
 Viewed:  1175 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

PHOBoS - Pulse Delay.gif

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nathanxl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OMG PHOBoS, that is fantastic. I knew this was the right place to get an answer.
Great work.
Im away from the "Lab" for the next few days so cannot put this together myself ATM but I thankyou from the bottom of my heart.
I look forward to getting this up and running. Just on first glance, once I have decided on the desired Pulse length of this circuit would I be able to switch out the pot with a resistor permanently or will this value always need adjustment? Because this circuit is going on an (already complicated) instrument that I use in a live performance situation I like the idea of having just one pot to adjust the delay time of the pulse... I get confused easily when on stage.
WOW, cant wait to get back in the shed.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you're very welcome Very Happy
a pulse delay was something I have been thinking about before, just hadn't taken the time yet to come up with a circuit.
so I'm glad you asked. And yes you can of course replace the pot with a resistor. You could even leave out the pot/diode/cap
attached to pin 8 alltogether and just connect it directly to pin 3. But then the pulse might be too short.
You could also leave out the LED's but I think the active LED is very usefull.

I'm looking forward to see it added to your amazing sculpture Cool

nathanxl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not yet a finished module as I needed it working quickly, just on breadboard at the moment.
Still some noise/false triggering issues but you get the idea.
I love this module, I may make the delay time CV to add even more craziness.
Sounds a lil' "bluegrassy" towards the end!

dougseidel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

totally cool! I really love this stuff you are making.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thumright

with all the LED's it probably looks great in the dark, which got me thinking. you should be able to get some nice visual effects if you light up the strings
with some strobe lights (bright LED's). If they are tuned to a fixed frequency you can just dial in the correct flash rate. Not sure if it would be really visible
though. here's an example:

some lights that light up the strings when they are plucked (until dampened) would be nice anyway, but maybe you already have that. Cool

edit: removed some spilleng orrers Embarassed

Last edited by PHOBoS on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
thumright

with all the LED's it probably looks great in the dark, which got me thinking. you should be able to get some nice visual effects if you light up the strings
with some stobe lights (bright LED's). If they are tuned to a fixed frequency you can just dial in the correct flash rate. Not sure if it would be really visible
though.

Following on from PHOBoS' comment, you could spray paint the strings in fluorescent colours and use UV LEDs for the strobes and then turn out the lights... happy smoker Just a thought - I don't know how well it would work.

Gary
nathanxl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have had this fantastic circuit on a breadboard driving my 8string Lunetta Guitar for a few weeks now and its great. I am now starting to move it over to space wiring, freeform style... Its going to take some time as you can expect.
8gate inputs, 8delay circuits and 8outputs to relays (hidden underneath) then this goes out to the solenoids on the strings:

Trigger Delay 01.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.81 MB
 Viewed:  668 Time(s)

Trigger Delay 01.JPG

Trigger Delay 02.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.47 MB
 Viewed:  614 Time(s)

Trigger Delay 02.JPG

nathanxl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im building another small Lunetta Guitar in a briefcase for a small tour in Japan next month.
It will have 12 strings and space is premium so Ive tried to keep everything compact. Here is the same circuit on perfboard for 12string dampeners.
Ive sourced some solid state relays so the only sound heard is the slight clack of the dampener arm...
I have to get back to the workshop. SO much to do.

IMG_9984.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.96 MB
 Viewed:  612 Time(s)

IMG_9984.JPG

IMG_9983.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.9 MB
 Viewed:  616 Time(s)

IMG_9983.JPG

dougseidel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

would love to hear the recordings of your music with these instruments etc - is anything on soundcloud or elsewhere?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good luck with the freeform wiring, I can imagine that's gonna be quite
some work Shocked your breadboards look nice too (just put it in clear
some epoxy Wink), so thanks for the nice desktop wallpapers!

o and the perf looks great aswell!

Majonymus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So creative work, great inspiration, loved the video
nathanxl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a video of the suitcase lunetta guitar.
http://youtu.be/F7spf36owbs
Its a self generative patch using the audio from the strings to drive the cypher sequencer... The delay circuit on the string mute actuators has an effect on what audio is "heard" by the sequencer, thus altering the composition... Ad infinitum.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brilliant Very Happy
mike page

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey yo.

This looks useful! Ive also read about pulse delay with 40106 schmitt triggers

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/ChipDataEbook-1d/html/74C14.html

is this 4093 design the best way to go?

Mine are going to be for a device to turn 3 piezos attached to a drum kit into bits for a multiplexer for little arpy trills as drums are struck.

its going to go a bit like this : piezo --> buffer and pulse out --> pulse delayer/extender/inverter --> multiplexer --> wiggly acid ∴ everyone gets down.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, I designed the 4093 version so of course that is the best way to go But honestly, I never saw the 40106 version before
so I have no experience with it and can't tell how well it works. But I do know that the 4093 should be able to handle very short
pulses to trigger it and it looks like the 40106 version might not work very well when pulses are too short and it could affect
the timing.

mike page

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is the output always longer than the input with 4093 option? I need something to turn big pulses into small ones (and delay them). I guess this is a positive edge detector right?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mike page wrote:
Is the output always longer than the input with 4093 option? I need something to turn big pulses into small ones (and delay them). I guess this is a positive edge detector right?

It is not necesarrily longer as it depends on the settings, but it will never be low when the input is still high.
Say you would use an input signal with a duration of 2 seconds and set both the delay time and pulse length to 0.5 sec.
at T= 0 the input goes high, output is still low
at T= 0.5 the output goes high because of the delay time setting.
at T= 1 the output would go low again because of the pulse length setting, but since the input is still high it will stay high untill T = 2.

The flip flop made with U1c & U1d triggers on a negative edge but the input is inverted by the transistor so that does work
as a positive edge detector. However, the output isn't completely isolated from the input hence why it will stay high
when the input still is. There is a simple solution for this though but I haven't tested it. If you add a small capacitor
(100pF will probably suffice) in series with pin 13 and add another pullup resistor to that pin as well, the input signal will
be transformed into a very short pulse before it triggers the flip flop.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or try a CMOS MMV ... two in one housing, can do a lot with that for pulse processing .. CD4098.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Although I know it exists I've never really looked into that chip but
it would be nice if it's possible to make two delays with one of them.
Looks like I have it in my collection so might do some tests.

mike page

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, thanks for the tips lads!

the 4098 looks v. useful...
Schläfer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was looking exactly for this kind of circuit, i want to be able to convert trigger outputs from an arduino sequencer to variable length gate signals.

2 question jumps in my mind:

What will be the maximum length of the gate signal with this design? (i would ideally need long/very long ones)

Would you see an easy modification to be able to add CV control over the gate length ?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The maximum gate length can probably be calculated but depends a bit on the supply voltage. You can make it as long as you
want though by using a larger capacitor or resistor. If you do use a very large capacitor it might be wise to place a resistor in
series with the diode to limit the current a bit. Voltage control could be done with a vactrol or transistor but it would be better to
use a slightly different circuit altogether. I started on a design for a voltage controlled pulse delay recently which will have
voltage control for both delay time and gate length. Actually you could probably modify the NAND circuit by placing a comparator
before pin 8 of U1c and the treshold level (which can be voltage controlled) will determine the gate length.

Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: