electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Modular Drum Machine
Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
granoj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seriously I always thought Lunettas where all about bleeps and buzzzz but this has certainly changed my way of thinking. If this was released on 12" I would play it, crazy stuff Shocked
Psyingo wrote:
Here is another demo, about the same length. edited down from 25 minutes though. http://www.memefilter.info/psyingo/cmosdrumdemo2.mp3

Edit: are those samples unprocessed?
Psyingo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

granoj wrote:
Edit: are those samples unprocessed?

Yes, unprocessed, just straight into my sound card.
efabric

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great work, and great sound !

I just wanted to ask for a little bit more informations about this :

Quote:
1x swing generator.

a swung clock is outputted at 1/4 the speed of the input clock. there are 5 values to be chosen via a rotary switch. I believe the values are 25%, 37.5%, 50%, 62.5% and 75%. reset in, clock in, and swung clock out.

I think this is your secret weapon, why you have a nice swing feeling in your rythms ! Is it true ?

Can you explain how this works ?

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What chip is used for the swing generator? Schems?
Psyingo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

efabric wrote:
Great work, and great sound !

I just wanted to ask for a little bit more informations about this :

Quote:
1x swing generator.

a swung clock is outputted at 1/4 the speed of the input clock. there are 5 values to be chosen via a rotary switch. I believe the values are 25%, 37.5%, 50%, 62.5% and 75%. reset in, clock in, and swung clock out.

I think this is your secret weapon, why you have a nice swing feeling in your rythms ! Is it true ?

Can you explain how this works ?

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-53590.html
JL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know it's been almost a year since the last post on this thread, but I was wondering if the schematics were still available for this. The sound samples are amazing, and I'd really love to build something like this for myself. Thanks!
L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sound samples -> 404 for me Evil or Very Mad
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JL wrote:
I know it's been almost a year since the last post on this thread, but I was wondering if the schematics were still available for this. The sound samples are amazing, and I'd really love to build something like this for myself. Thanks!

check the original post, i reuploaded my files.
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

L´Andratté wrote:
Sound samples -> 404 for me Evil or Very Mad

fixed, just for you.
JL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is amazing! Thank you very much!
Psyingo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JL wrote:
This is amazing! Thank you very much!

no problem. i have pcbs that i've made that contain the 4 drum oscillators on it, if you are interested.. right here http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-52854.html

im working on getting a page set up to sell it from, in kit and pcb form.
trav

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for fixing your links, Psyingo. Good to hear/see this great machine.
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Psyingo.

From your 4011 PCB thread:

Psyingo wrote:
baudrate wrote:
The board and a surprise chip showed up today. Thanks a bunch!

yeah, i was worried that it wouldnt work with certain chips, so i sent it with chips that i tested...

don't hesitate to shoot me a pm if you have any questions

I've been playing with your original circuit on a breadboard and I've had rather variable results. Sometimes I get decent percussive sounds and other times constant low frequency oscillation (even with differences on two gates on the same 4011). I've tried several 4011s and failed to get everything working. Do you know what the problem with some chips is caused by, or which ones are likely to work? Of course, it's possible that I've just screwed up, but I've been checking/rechecking/rebuilding and I'm still having problems...

Thanks,

Gary

BTW: This is a great machine!
Psyingo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, sorry for the belated reply.

one chip that i've found to work is the STMicroelectronics 4001BE (thats right, buffered...!)

I'm not certain why some chips work, and some don't. the internal circuit design of CMOS ic's varies wildly between manufacturers.
but ive found usually that if it works on one gate it works for the rest. although, im sure thats not the case for every ic.

i've gone between using 100k resistors and 47k resistors for R1/2, although i don't think this would cause the differences.

you could also try using 4069 NOTs as your gates instead of NAND/NOR... the only reason i used 4011/4001 was because thats what i had in the random cmos bag .

I do wish the chips werent so variable, but we are trying to build analog audio devices using stuff meant for digital logic. its not going to be ideal by any stretch.

FUN FACT: the suzuki omnichord OM-84 uses a similar set up to get its drums, as shown in this schematic http://www.voxinfinitus.net/~psyingo/OM-84_schematics.jpg at IC15. although,that one is a bridged-t, as opposed to a twin-t.

anyway... sorry i dont have any more concrete advice to give you. i have found that some ic's will give just humming, or distorted bips, or just clicks while some will give the proper percussive sound... :/
analog_backlash

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply Psyingo. I'll have to give the 4001B a go. I've got quite a few of those from 3 different manufacturers (but none are STM Sad ). I did try 4069s out, but still had problems. I've been playing with the old Elektor twin-T design posted by YuSynth here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=twint&t=28541

This does work, but I'd like to try your idea again, as it has separate pitch and resonance control. I'll let you know if I have any success (and with what).

Cheers,

Gary
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

analog_backlash wrote:
Thanks for the reply Psyingo. I'll have to give the 4001B a go. I've got quite a few of those from 3 different manufacturers (but none are STM Sad ). I did try 4069s out, but still had problems. I've been playing with the old Elektor twin-T design posted by YuSynth here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=twint&t=28541

This does work, but I'd like to try your idea again, as it has separate pitch and resonance control. I'll let you know if I have any success (and with what).

Cheers,

Gary

here is the schematic i used to build the drums... maybe this will help more than my crude sketchbook one? http://www.voxinfinitus.net/~psyingo/electronics/schematics/rw_quadrum.png
analog_backlash

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot for that Psyingo - that's much easier to read than the sketchbook Very Happy . I'll have another try at this circuit (probably tomorrow, as I'll be out most of today). As I said, I'll let you know how it goes.

Gary
analog_backlash

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for the delay - I haven't given up on this. I tried an HEF4001BP which did seem to work a bit (but not as good as yours did). Many of my other 4001/4011s gave very poor results.

At the moment I'm cheating (Lunetta-wise) and I'm using an LM324 with part of a modified CGS drum design (which I've changed to a single rail supply to make it Lunetta friendly) - see Ken's design here:

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/pic/schem_cgs18.gif

I'm still triggering with your 4503 circuit. Would this work with more conventional buffers (e.g. the 4050)? I'll probably give it a go and see what happens. Anyway, I'm getting quite good (tom-tom) drum sounds from this Frankenstein circuit. If it is good enough, I'll post my schematic (making sure to credit everyone involved).

Gary
ufokult

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh wow! This sounds just fantastic. I had no idea CMOS stuff could actually achieve anything like this. I'm dreaming of drum machine of my own Razz
L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome sounding (the drumsounds but also the sequencer section is very tight!)
->perfect for electropop!

this is very inspiring to me, COOL diy!!!
abelovesfun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Any updates on this? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks like the etsy shop is empty and that the conversation ended while trying to get instructions together. Are any kits or boards available? A tested schematic? I usually build full MOTM analog modules, but really loved the sound samples and would LOVE to build this thing.
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can't say nothing more than wow!!! abolutely amazing cool device you've built... sounds awesome...

put this one on my to do list as well...

any more detailed schematics available maybe your Hand drawn schematics just scanned for better reading???
Ruebezahl

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dont know if Psyingo is still looking in this thread, or if someone else may answer my questions. This Drum Machine inspired me, to do one myself, loosely based on the ideas in this thread.

Question 1: I want to build the Gate to Trigger Converter from your sketch. i never worked with buffer before. i think i can just put the "dis"-input to ground, right?

Question 2: A question wich i was asking myself since day one, but still couldn't answer. Whats the use of the Pulse stretcher. I see the Gate to Trigger Converter is there, because of the logic-gates. One still needs long gates for passing through them, and afterwards convert it to short triggers for the drums. But the other way round? Is it just for playing the drum modules in a more "experimental way"?

here is my project, but no results so far Laughing http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-62462.html

Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: