electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Master Clock Divider
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Master Clock Divider
Subject description: with stripboard layout
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A binary counter with inverted outputs which makes more sense when used for rhythms. And every division has an extra
'c' output which stays high for only 1 clock cycle, as long as the clock signal is high.

I first made a layout with all the chips in a row, but when I finished the design I realized that it was too big to fit
on a standard sized (100x160) stripboard since the strips are oriented in the other direction Rolling Eyes . So I designed a new one
which is a bit larger but it gave me some extra room to add transistor buffers for the CLK and Reset inputs.

I haven't build it yet and only tested 2 outputs, so I'll update when I know it's fully working.

this version isn't working correct, an updated version is posted a few posts down

Master Clock Divider.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.04 KB
 Viewed:  1350 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Master Clock Divider.gif

Master Clock Divider v1.0 - stripboard.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.66 KB
 Viewed:  810 Time(s)

Master Clock Divider v1.0 - stripboard.gif

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:43 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A very useful circuit. Thanks for sharing it Smile
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I build it and when I powered it up there were 3 things wrong with it Rolling Eyes
- output 256c was the same as output 128c
- outputs 32,64,128,256 were out of sync with the other 4 outputs. (The divisions were correct but they started at the wrong time)
- It double triggered on the clock so the /2 output was in sync with the CLK and /4 was /2 and so on.

The first problem was fixed pretty fast and caused by a mistake I made on the stripboard design:
I put the 256c output on the wrong trace. Embarassed (should be the one next to it)

Second problem was also fixed pretty fast after taking a look at the datasheet were I found the following:
Quote:
The counter can be cascaded in the ripple mode by connecting Q4 to the enable input of the subsequent counter while the CLOCK input of the latter is held low.
What I had done was connect the CLOCK to Q4 and make the enable high. Luckely that was pretty easy to change on the stripboard.

Now for the third problem I have to do some more tests. Right now I have the CLK input of the CD4520 connected
to the output of U3d and that works great, but that shouldn't be necessary. I was actually having the
same problem with another divider circuit I breadboarded so I have to figure out how to fix that.

I also made two other small changes to the circuit;
a diode in series with the CLK input so I could connect something that has a negative output voltage.
a capacitor added to the reset input so that it only creates a short pulse. The reset button still works the same.

I will upload the updated versions once I have the double triggering problem figured out.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Changing R3 (the pullup resistor attached to the input of U2f) from 10K to 4.7K seems to make it work. Very Happy
So here's the updated schematic and stripboard layout.
(note that there is a cut under C7!)

this version wasn't working 100% correct either, so there is another updated version posted a few posts down

Master Clock Divider v2.0.gif
 Description:
Master Clock Divider schematic
 Filesize:  74.94 KB
 Viewed:  731 Time(s)

Master Clock Divider v2.0.gif

Master Clock Divider v2.0 - stripboard.gif
 Description:
Master Clock Divider stripboard
 Filesize:  45.43 KB
 Viewed:  650 Time(s)

Master Clock Divider v2.0 - stripboard.gif

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and here's what it looks like Cool

I turned 2 cheap plastic CD storage racks into modular synth racks by adding some wooden mounting rails to it.
Will take some photos once I added the power section.

Master Clock Divider - 01.jpg
 Description:
Master Clock Divider module
 Filesize:  102.09 KB
 Viewed:  664 Time(s)

Master Clock Divider - 01.jpg

Master Clock Divider - 02.jpg
 Description:
Master Clock Divider module
 Filesize:  118.64 KB
 Viewed:  687 Time(s)

Master Clock Divider - 02.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm, so it seemed to work correct untill I started using it to control something else. No problem with the gate outputs
but apparently the c(locked) outputs send out a double pulse Confused . I fixed it (I think) by connecting the input of U4c (pin8) to
the output of U3d instead of U2f.

I just used some wire to connect the two points together (v2.1a) but I also made a stripboard design which uses jumpers (v2.1b).

Master Clock Divider v2.1 - schematic.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.96 KB
 Viewed:  1069 Time(s)

Master Clock Divider v2.1 - schematic.gif

Master Clock Divider v2.1a - stripboard.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.43 KB
 Viewed:  700 Time(s)

Master Clock Divider v2.1a - stripboard.gif

Master Clock Divider v2.1b - stripboard.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.33 KB
 Viewed:  730 Time(s)

Master Clock Divider v2.1b - stripboard.gif

vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

knowing the CGS Master Divider i imagined that i need just this ,thanks for sharing it PHOBoS ,so i'd like to build it ,but i only need the gate outputs and i am not sure if i need the reset circuit ,can i just leave off the whole reset thing and U4 ,U5 ?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vladosh wrote:
can i just leave off the whole reset thing and U4 ,U5 ?

yes, but connect the reset inputs of U1a/U1b to GND.
Note that the output voltage is the same as the supply voltage so if you'd like 5V outputs use a 5V supply.
I also recommend adding resistors on the outputs for protection.

vladosh

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Very Happy
vladosh

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..guess i should tie unused inputs from the second CD40106 to ground ? i made some PCB layout for it yesterday then i thought what to do with half 40106
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes you are correct, although it doesn't necessarily have to be GND.
You could also use V+ or any digital output signal. Sometimes that can be easier to route when designing a PCB.

vladosh

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i guess it would been easier with +V ,i drew it to run on 10V ,added a regulator on the input ,and 2K2 resistors at the outputs ,the manual reset button can be very useful with big divides but like this it's just 8 banana jacks so it fits well in 4U ,if you want i can remove the PCB layout

Master Clock Divider - 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  532.69 KB
 Viewed:  328 Time(s)

Master Clock Divider - 1.JPG

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The power routing is a bit weird but it will probably work fine.
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Possibly a silly question, but what is the 7810 voltage regulator doing?
vladosh

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i guess it can do without ,PHOBoS said the output depends on the positive supply so i wanted to make the gates around 10V
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: