electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Sequencer again, Gate to trigger
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Sequencer again, Gate to trigger Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,
can some one have a look at the Gate to trigger section ... will this work with 5Vs? (cant breadboard this atm.) Is there a way to calc the charging time of the Cap? (the 1u i mean)

4017Seq_1_1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.86 KB
 Viewed:  678 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

4017Seq_1_1.png

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sequencer again, Gate to trigger Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DUBmatze wrote:
Hello,
can some one have a look at the Gate to trigger section ... will this work with 5Vs? (cant breadboard this atm.) Is there a way to calc the charging time of the Cap? (the 1u i mean)

hmm it looks like it could work but won't be sure without testing. Calculating the charging time is possible but you have
to keep a couple things in mind here. When discharged the lowest voltage isn't 0V. Caused by the forward voltage of the diode
and the 1K resistor which makes up a voltage divider with the other resistors and pots (so it actually varies).
And there is also the voltage at which the schmitt trigger inverter changes state, which I think can vary somewhat.
You can look here for some info on RC time calculation but there are online calculators that might be easier.

I don't think the global trigger length section will work. (if I read the schematic correct).
It looks like gTL1 .. gTL8 are all connected which can't work. And the global offset pot might cause some weird behaviour too.

some other minor things I spotted:
You most likely want a diode on the reset input. So one diode from input to pin 15 and one diode from pin 9 to 15.
The reset button can be connected directly between +5V and pin 15.

You need a pulldown resistor on pin 1 of U4. I personally would also place one on pin 2. Because when using toggle switches
there is a short moment when the pin is floating if you switch.

I don't think you need the 4066 switches but it should make it more stable and with everything you have connected
to the ouputs of the CD4017 it might not be a bad idea.

The short/long section might not work correct. At least I've been having some trouble with it, in that
it's causing double pulses. more info on that here. But maybe it works for you.

I just drew up a simple gate sequencer with a CD4017. Let me post that and then I'll add a link, maybe it's useful.
edit: posted here

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sequencer again, Gate to trigger Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Phobos,
thanks for the fast reply!!

PHOBoS wrote:
I don't think the global trigger length section will work. (if I read the schematic correct).
It looks like gTL1 .. gTL8 are all connected which can't work. And the global offset pot might cause some weird behaviour too.
ah you right ... i remove that - just keep it "simple" and mod it later ....

PHOBoS wrote:
some other minor things I spotted:
You most likely want a diode on the reset input. So one diode from input to pin 15 and one diode from pin 9 to 15.
The reset button can be connected directly between +5V and pin 15.
my plan was use the reset input as in and out.

PHOBoS wrote:
You need a pulldown resistor on pin 1 of U4. I personally would also place one on pin 2. Because when using toggle switches
there is a short moment when the pin is floating if you switch.
uuups didnt see that.

PHOBoS wrote:
I don't think you need the 4066 switches but it should make it more stable and with everything you have connected
to the ouputs of the CD4017 it might not be a bad idea.
my old 4017 didnt use that and i realy get some troble with generating a 2nd CV from it. in this case the 4017 must drive 3 Gates and the Gate to trigger thing. i hope that is enouth to add later a 2nd CV section....

PHOBoS wrote:
The short/long section might not work correct. At least I've been having some trouble with it, in that
it's causing double pulses. more info on that here. But maybe it works for you.
hehe this is the only thing i already have tested ..... i use that with a 4081 in my old sequecner and a my pattern generator. while painting this thing i was exact on that page and had already open the tab with the swing generator ciruit from you. Wink but i added the RC. can i still add the 100k pulldown resistor behind that?

PHOBoS wrote:
I just drew up a simple gate sequencer with a CD4017. Let me post that and then I'll add a link, maybe it's useful.
edit: posted [url=http://www.electro-music.com/forum
/topic-63020.html]here[/url]
1000 thanks.

4017Seq_1_2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.7 KB
 Viewed:  396 Time(s)

4017Seq_1_2.png

DUBmatze

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pfft now is somthing wrong with the reset .... pfft .... (i just noticed while watching the uploadet version .... )
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequencer again, Gate to trigger Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DUBmatze wrote:
while painting this thing i was exact on that page and had already open the tab with the swing generator ciruit from you. Wink but i added the RC. can i still add the 100k pulldown resistor behind that?

It should work, although you might need to increase the capacitor value or better use a large (>1M) value for the pulldown resistor.
However I don't think it's necessary with the 100pF capacitor connected. Switching happens almost instantly and the capacitor should take care of any noise.

DUBmatze wrote:
pfft now is somthing wrong with the reset .... pfft .... (i just noticed while watching the uploadet version .... )

what's wrong with it ? looks like it should work. Rolling Eyes
Keep in mind that the reset out is a very short pulse in case you're trying to use that to trigger something else. It can be used though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequencer again, Gate to trigger Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
what's wrong with it ? looks like it should work. Rolling Eyes
Keep in mind that the reset out is a very short pulse in case you're trying to use that to trigger something else. It can be used though.
RST shud connect to the other side of the diode. in this case when a selected step will make the reset it will be shorted to Pin9 or?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah yes,. I was thinking the label was a reset out, but it's connected to the step count select switch.
In that case it should indeed be connected to the other side and with another diode.
But when using that switch it would make more sense to wire Q8 of the 4017 to it aswell.

DUBmatze

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RST changed....

4017Seq_1_3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.63 KB
 Viewed:  458 Time(s)

4017Seq_1_3.png

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: