electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Swing Generator
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Psyingo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Swing Generator
Subject description: now with 100% more groove.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been asked several times about the swing generator in my Analog CMOS drum machine (http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-52786.html) so I have decided to post the schematic. The schematic is in two different versions, the original one that I did with the 4022 (octal counter) and a 4017 version (decade counter). I chose to do a 4017 version because I'm sure those are more common in peoples parts bins.

Basically the clock is divided by the counter, with the 1st output and a select-able second output going to an AND gate. The select-able second output is what makes the swing. If the selected output is the 5th output on the 4022 or the 6th on the 4017 it is straight, no swing. If it is any of the other outputs it makes swing either closer or further from the 1st output.

Reset is important if you want it to maintain proper synchronization.

the input is your clock and the output would go to a sequencer or similar device.

here are the schems.

4017 Version:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

4022 Version:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Psyingo on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:56 am; edited 2 times in total
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks really interesting Very Happy Some very nice ideas there old sport, I look forwards to trying it out!

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

any suggestions about modding this... adding a few random IC's and getting it to F*** up and make some cool noises? Laughing
Psyingo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
any suggestions about modding this... adding a few random IC's and getting it to F*** up and make some cool noises? Laughing

wire it backwards and upside down, add some heterodynes.
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exclamation I have a 24 square wave oscillator drone explosion machine on breadboard Twisted Evil . I plan to make 4 of these onto vero and enclose it in an old toaster from the 70's. Cool Can I hook it up to that and modulate the donres with the swing gen? Idea What about feeding my dual LDR circuit bent Arari Punk Console into the clock input Question Question Question ? I think it might work but would I have to bypass Wink my triple WSG filter on the APC first Question

Thanks in advance Razz . arrow Any ideas on what to do with the toaster light/dark pot and the pop up lever appreciated. Rolling Eyes
DGTom

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think the 4017 one will work the same as the 4022 unless you ping the reset every bar or add another diode between Q7 & the reset pin.

As drawn they will generate quite differant beats, which could be quite usefull.

I predict a mux being tacked onto this in the near future.
efabric

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for sharing !
Psyingo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DGTom wrote:
I don't think the 4017 one will work the same as the 4022 unless you ping the reset every bar or add another diode between Q7 & the reset pin.

As drawn they will generate quite differant beats, which could be quite usefull.

I predict a mux being tacked onto this in the near future.

actually, dgtom, this wouldnt be an issue. this isnt for generating rhythms itself, its meant to make a clock swung. You would feed a clock in and run everything you want to be run from that clock from the output of this module. so the number of beats that the 4022 has versus the 4017 wouldnt matter as its just a division as long as you arent running anything off the clock before hand. The 4017 version will give you different swing values than the 4022 version. but if you want exact performance between the 4022 and 4017 versions you can make it reset on the 9th step, Q8, and wire the switch like it is on the 4022.
DGTom

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Psyingo wrote:
this isnt for generating rhythms itself, its meant to make a clock swung.

that makes sense, I was thinking it was running in parallel to other sequencers but you're using it to provide a funky master clock to multiple sequencers. nice.
Psyingo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DGTom wrote:
Psyingo wrote:
this isnt for generating rhythms itself, its meant to make a clock swung.

that makes sense, I was thinking it was running in parallel to other sequencers but you're using it to provide a funky master clock to multiple sequencers. nice.

Yes, exactly. Sorry if i wasn't clear.
efabric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

Your swing generator schematics are not visible any more here !

Can you to repost your pictures ?

Thank you

Psyingo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

efabric wrote:
Hello,

Your swing generator schematics are not visible any more here !

Can you to repost your pictures ?

Thank you

re-uploaded :>
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried the 4017 version for a sequencer and ran into a problem (which I think I solved). At first with just a LED on the output it seemed to work
fine but when I tried to trigger another 4017 with it I got double steps. So it triggered when the output went from low to high and high to low.
What I think might be causing this is a small delay between the CLK in and output change of the 4017. (I could be wrong here Rolling Eyes )

Let's say for example that output 0 (pin 3) is high and the CLK is low then the output of U2c will be high (inverted by U2d). Now when the CLK goes
high the output of U2c will go low very shortly because output 0 is still high (delay). So I added a short delay between the CLK input and the
input of U2c by using a small resistor + capacitor (LPF) and that seems to have solved it.

Another idea I had was to use the 2 spare gates in series to create a short delay. I patched it up on my modular lunetta, first without the exra gates,
and got the double steps again (this time I used it to trigger a 4040). So I added the extra gates (I tried a 4011 and 4093) but that didn't make a
difference. So maybe this problem doesn't exist with a 4022 or it's just the 4017's I'm using. I'm running it on 5V btw.

RuinWesen Swing Generator (PHOBoS mod).gif
 Description:
4017 swing generator with double pulse fix
 Filesize:  39.92 KB
 Viewed:  1025 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

RuinWesen Swing Generator (PHOBoS mod).gif

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Double Pulse Swing Divider Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a variation with some extra switches.
When using pulse 1+2 it works as the swing generator with an extra switch for the number of steps.
(of course the number of steps has to be greater or equal to what pulse 2 is set to).
When only using pulse 1 it works as a standard divider with /1, /2, /3, /4, /5, /6, /7, /8, /9, /10.
When only using pulse 2 it also works like a divider but with a delay. Which can be very useful in combination with the reset input.

I already finished it as a module, but don't have the right knobs yet, so photos will be uploaded at a later time.

PHOBoS - Double Pulse Swing Divider.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.65 KB
 Viewed:  1016 Time(s)

PHOBoS - Double Pulse Swing Divider.gif

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got the knobs so here's what the module looks like.
The reset seems to be a bit over sensitive in that it picks up noise when I attach a cable to it. Shocked
Maybe increasing the value of the pulse capacitor will help, or a smaller resistor on the base of the transistor.

Double Pulse Swing Divider - 01.jpg
 Description:
Double Pulse Swing Divider
 Filesize:  56.28 KB
 Viewed:  492 Time(s)

Double Pulse Swing Divider - 01.jpg

Double Pulse Swing Divider - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.27 KB
 Viewed:  459 Time(s)

Double Pulse Swing Divider - 02.jpg

Double Pulse Swing Divider - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.58 KB
 Viewed:  488 Time(s)

Double Pulse Swing Divider - 03.jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice panel PHOBoS, but also very nice pictures with the blackground.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks jan Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: