electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
CV for Lunetta
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
trav

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: CV for Lunetta Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I am planning a new modular and thinking about CVs. For Lunetta purposes, would it be useful to buffer distributed CVs? Also, could your usual transistor LED driver be adapted as a visual indicator of control voltage? Applications are stepped voltage into a 4046 VCO or the 4066 "VCA of sorts" or such like, but I was thinking of making a general purpose CV router module.
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: CV for Lunetta Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

trav wrote:
Also, could your usual transistor LED driver be adapted as a visual indicator of control voltage?
i have seen Eurorack modules for CV indication... so why not.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
i use a analog 15v VU meter for that
But why transistors? you can use a Driver IC like 3914/3915 and a LED bar == 2 parts
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
maybe you can use the driver with some inverters to get some new digital Outs for your Lunetta
piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ray at MFOS has a Multi-function module that might be the ticket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l6JGudok4Y

Features

1. LED Voltage Level Meter Totally cool looking.
2. Two 3 input DC voltage mixers with offset adjust and normal and inverted outputs.
3. Linear Lag Processor (long and short time select).
4. RC Lag Processor (long and short time select).

Quote:
A great assortment of functions in one module. Two 3 input DC voltage mixers with normal and inverted output, a linear lag processor, an RC lag processor and a LED voltage level meter. The voltage meter looks cool and lets you have a graphical idea of where that voltage level you like to use to modulate your filter or vca is so that later repeating it will be easier.

Although simple in nature the voltmeter is useful and has several input ranges (+/-1V, +/-5V and +/-10V). Whereas an analog or even a digital meter takes time to find the level this circuit lights the LED immediately giving you a rough idea of the voltage level you're looking at even when it is changing rapidly. The DC mixers let you mix LFO outputs or any voltage sources. The lag processors both give plenty of range to go from almost immediate voltage following to delays lasting many seconds before the output voltage arrives at the level fed into the input.

( I have one populated but unfinished!)
Robert
trav

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, guys. Probably the simple LED driver will do for the indication. MFOS also does this:

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/CVANDGATEDIST/CVANDGATEDIST.html

I guess the other part of my question is about the sort of CVs a lunetta generates. From what I have seen and experimented with, these are mostly resistor ladders, so the CV range is from 0 to just under supply voltage, depending on how many bits there are. From looking quickly at the LM3914 the range should only go as high as about 1.5V below supply, so I guess I will need to attenuate that (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, is buffering required? what would be the detriment of a passive multiple?
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

trav wrote:
... LM3914 t...

not really a Lunetta style chip. Also not CMOS Lunetta but maybe a bit closer:
I suggested a LM324 solution here :
http://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=89665
you can use GND instead of V- for unipolar use and expand the resolution with a wlonger resistor ladder and more opamps if required
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: