electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Any simple bass drum schematic? or snare?
Page 2 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
TtF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, This is my first post on this forum, I was looking for a simple no-808/909 analog bassdrum and I found this one Very Happy
I'm a pure rookie in electronics so I have few questions if someone can answer that would be great !
I think I'll make 3 voice modules + 1 amp module (with 3 inputs), all based on monotribe's drums, but I was thinking it was possible to output voices into another amp to extend sound-grain possibilities. I was wondering if it's possible to add a volume knob to each voices modules and also one to the amp (How people do on the monotribe ? are drums volume pre-mixed ?...).
I'm fond of Roland Grooveboxes and there are just 2 negative points that I noticed on theese machines : - No analog Crying or Very sad ; - No modularity Crying or Very sad (Excepted for the MC-307 wich is one of the most powerful thing I ever seen, don't mind about AudioFanzine reviews and YouTube videosn, thoose guys often don't understand the main idea of this groovebox) Sorry for this digression. So all that to say that theese Monotribe's drums wi'll perfectly fit in my project of groovebox-oriented modular Smile
Sorry for this bad English Embarassed

https://soundcloud.com/tom-vincke
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea about eight oooh things .. but welcome to you anyway TtF.
ragnar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: I know this thread is old but Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just put the bass drum together, its not working as I was expecting.
I don´t have a noise source a.t.m., that must have something to do with it :Þ

I was wondering if you could clarify how to connect speakers to this, I get some potting sound when I connect speakers to "rhythm" and ground. its not sounding too far from the pulse Im sending in on the input stage.

the noise generator you have built, the two transistor white noise one. where do you connect that into the circuit, right before the output transistor stage ? where it says bd out on the schematic ?

the decay is not doing much either, I have a 1k pot connected from the middle pin to one of the far ends to ground. is this the right way to connect it, as a variable resistor ?

thanks for taking your time to answer questions here, super helpful to have people like you around the world !

all the best
r.
khakifridge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: I know this thread is old but Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ragnar wrote:
I was wondering if you could clarify how to connect speakers to this, I get some potting sound when I connect speakers to "rhythm" and ground. its not sounding too far from the pulse Im sending in on the input stage.

Are you connecting a naked speaker to the output? I think you'll need an amplifier of some sort.

Quote:
the noise generator you have built, the two transistor white noise one. where do you connect that into the circuit, right before the output transistor stage ? where it says bd out on the schematic ?

I don't think the noise generator features in the BD sound - it's only connected to the hi-hats and snare circuits.

Quote:
the decay is not doing much either, I have a 1k pot connected from the middle pin to one of the far ends to ground. is this the right way to connect it, as a variable resistor ?

Sounds correct. There's a schematic on page 1 showing how to connect the pot.
ragnar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks khakifridge
I went over the breadboard last night and I had connected the what should have gone into the collector into the emitter, :Þ.

it works now! love the sound, can believe how few components are needed for this one...

thanks again.
all the best.
r.
khakifridge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good news! Cool

This one was on my list of possible BDs to try out. From what you've said, I think it definitely warrants a build.
Starspawn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heres a stripboard layout for those others that have searched for 9V drum stuff.
Using -Minus- values.
Should work, will know tomorrow Wink
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Starspawn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Working, but noise source not a good match, way to high on 9V with opamp buffer, and without its still not in the right range, messed about with pots between and so on today without getting satisfied, will try some different transistors tomorrow.
Kind of hoped that was a no transistor picking needed circuit :/
(Courtesy of Richardc64 I think it was)
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starspawn wrote:
Working, but noise source not a good match, way to high on 9V with opamp buffer, and without its still not in the right range, messed about with pots between and so on today without getting satisfied, will try some different transistors tomorrow.
Kind of hoped that was a no transistor picking needed circuit :/
(Courtesy of Richardc64 I think it was)

This is the first time I've heard of noise being too high when powered by 9volts. Is that really what you meant to say?

In the monotripe the noise gets attenuated by a 10:1 voltage divider (R31, R29) before being applied to Q8 and Q10. By adjusting those two resistors the 2-transistor noise source should provide a sufficient level even without an op amp buffer.

R34 & R43 also affect the levels that reach Q8 and Q10.

Although the three randomly selected transistors I tried for noise produced equal-sounding levels, I still used a socket (3 receptacles hacked from a low-profile d.i.p. socket,) for the reverse-biased transistor.

mono_hh_sn.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.8 KB
 Viewed:  684 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

mono_hh_sn.gif

Starspawn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, Im socketing and trying some different transistors later today, and those are the resistors Im fiddling with.
Its also in a thing with lots of hanging wires, so its picking up a lot of rumbly noise which is what I meant with to high, as in to sensitive and amplifying that to much.
Starspawn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got distracted, but while I have your attention, I did your piezo to trigger as well, and it didnt give me the sensitivity or levels I was looking for .... so increase resistor to ground on input for more sensitivity, and increase resistor in feedback path for more gain? Or have I misunderstood?

And by adjusting input level we are talking again increasing resistance to ground and decreasing to input path?
itsnotworking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wahoah wrote:
ive just breadboarded the Bass Drum from the monotribe korg, i like it but i need a little more bass and deeeper sound

any recomendations?

I replaced R73 (15k) with 3k and 22k pot which gave a range approximately within an octave (from ~40 to ~70Hz).

Any advice on how I can modulate a pitch in the very beginning of the sound, so it will have some short zap? Is it possible with current scheme at all?
MapacheRaper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fascinating thread.

I also discovered this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkvpSkzcYWU

Im not sure, but you have three caps in front of the transistor in the schematic : C65, C60 and C66. Proabably one of these (or all) are timing caps. You should experiment inserting a pot over there and figure out what changes make to the sound. Probably tuning the pitch up/down and doing bizarre things.

Changing (inserting a pot) instead the 470K resistor that goes to the base of the transistor could be useful

Maybe an more experienced user can give you a more precise answer, but I would start over there

That´s a lovely circuit to hack in
PiercedFaceMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Brilliant! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This BD circuit is bloody brilliant.
I built it last night and I was extremely happy that it worked wonderfully.
Used a 555 to trigger it =)
PiercedFaceMan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject:  Where? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys.
I've built both the BD and SD (both the same schematic just different values)
I have now also built the 2 transistor WN gen for the SD but I'm not sure on how to use them together.
Could anyone tell me(or maybe do a schematic) of where to inject the WN into the SD circuit please.

Thanks.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I looked around a bit but I am starting to suspect that the monotribe (assuming that's what you build the circuits of)
uses a processor to not only control the drums but also to generate the noise. Maybe you can use another white noise
generator but I don't know what the levels should be and if it has to be triggered together with the snaredrum.
Also the stripboard design in this thread only seems to have the drum part of the circuit and you need a lot more to
get the noise section aswell. It's not as easy as just inserting some noise into it. And then both the noise and the drum
have to be mixed together somehow.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PiercedFaceMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Oh. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah it is the monotribe BD I've built.
Damn.
Oh well I'll just have to keep trying, I'm learning loads and having a blast so it's all good.
At least I have a simple drum and white noise circuit now.
Could you point me towards a snare drum circuit that I could try?
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

808 snare isn't terribly complicated.

https://electro-music.com/forum/topic-45134.html
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

page 4 on the pdf of the 6. post is a snare circuit that includes the noise

https://electro-music.com/forum/topic-28541-25.html
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: direct link to post Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^
gabbagabi wrote:
page 4 on the pdf of the 6. post is a snare circuit that includes the noise

https://electro-music.com/forum/topic-28541-25.html

at the top of a post, on the left side of the date and subject there is a little icon,
this gives you a direct link to the post in a thread.

so in this case that would be https://electro-music.com/forum/post-417310.html#417310

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PiercedFaceMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject:  Nice. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow thanks guys, I definitely want to build the 808
Such a good sound and iconic to boot.

Last night I actually managed to build something that sounds good.
With a little extra circuitry I was able to use my white noise source
with the drum sound.
Man, when it worked, I nearly jumped for joy.
I'm not sure whether it's the most efficient way to do it but it works.
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uhh, that is a very little icon Smile
thx

just saw the other post form Juanito about thr LED Thing and remembered his 808 video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPBeEi4SE68
zaphod betamax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Any simple bass drum schematic? or snare? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! I had no idea that electronics magazines made it that late into
the first decade of the new century!

I used to read Radio-Electronics and Popular Electronics as a child
in the mid-seventees! I was actually way more active in DIY to about
1990, but then I stopped.

Have picked up the soldering iron again in 2020 though.

DIY is fun!

Tony Deff wrote:
wahoah wrote:
Hi!

I've been searching for a simple bass drum schematic and haven't found anything; a snare could be great too, or a hi hat.
Anyone have one?

Aloha, Wahoah,

I built a very passable set of 8, way-back in the previous millenium, from a design published in Practical Electronics here in the 51st State.
I may still have it, but don't fancy re-drawing the schematics from the original stone-tablet carvings.

Whilst quickly looking to see if was archived on-line, I came across this set of Carillon (The bells! The bells!)

Everyday Practical Electronics 2008 PDF (scroll down to page 35).

Hells bells.
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've built the Bastl Tea Kick, and it is fun... I just wish I could get rid of the click entirely. I've built the 808 snare and hats, I should probably solder up the 808 bassdrum too.
zaphod betamax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the COMPLETE schematic of the Monotribe.

Monotribe_Schematics.PDF
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Monotribe_Schematics.PDF
 Filesize:  348.47 KB
 Downloaded:  329 Time(s)

Page 2 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner