electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Heterodyne Space Explorer
Page 3 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
TheOutsider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: photos of the beast Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the latest machine out of SWC Spaceyards... hehe..

IMG_1131.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.42 MB
 Viewed:  710 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.66 MB
 Viewed:  668 Time(s)

IMG_1136.JPG

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow! that looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheOutsider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Yet another one... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The latest creation...

I've changed a few things: one cutoff pot instead of two (a mod of the WSG filter circuit), played with different capacitor values for the oscillators, and also experimented with a different way of soldering in which I stuck the diodes and resistors straight to the pots, but differently than I had before (it worked and is cleaner).

These things are addictive!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DGeydhGe5Q?hd=1

DN-RH1schem.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.24 MB
 Viewed:  1375 Time(s)

DN-RH1schem.jpg

EvilNebula.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.83 MB
 Viewed:  689 Time(s)

EvilNebula.JPG

Mikmo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice device!

Looking at the schematic you posted i wonder about the osc 6 (lfo), it seems to be "grounded at both ends" what does it do ? What is ic connected to ?

TheOutsider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mikmo,

It is indeed grounded at both ends. I don't know where I read it (possibly somewhere on this thread even) but this kind of 'LFO' works not by directly modifying the output of the oscillators, but by interfering with the way the other oscillators get power, since all of the oscillators are part of the same IC. If you watch the video I linked to, you can see and hear how the LFO wreaks havoc on the other oscillators, especially when the voltage is sagged. Actually, depending on the settings of the voltage sag knob and the LFO, something very unusual happens. When the sag is dropped to half or lower, and the LFO is set fully clockwise, the unit(s) produce almost white noise, which the red unit is doing at the very beginning of the video (sag=1/2, LFO=max). Later on, the LFO is dropped to about 1/2 (at around 1:45 in the video) which makes the oscillators cycle on and off. This cycling only happens when BOTH the voltage sag AND the LFO are dropped to about 1/2: if the sag is set fully clockwise, changing the LFO speed doesn't produce cycling, but works almost like a conventional LFO (although it is kind of subtle).

Sorry I can't offer a technical explanation... I'm not an expert on circuits by any means. All I can tell you is I like what it does. Hehehe..
Repeater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TheOutsider wrote:
Mikmo,

It is indeed grounded at both ends. I don't know where I read it (possibly somewhere on this thread even) but this kind of 'LFO' works not by directly modifying the output of the oscillators, but by interfering with the way the other oscillators get power, since all of the oscillators are part of the same IC. If you watch the video I linked to, you can see and hear how the LFO wreaks havoc on the other oscillators, especially when the voltage is sagged.

Sounds kinda like the Cacophonator. Extra oscillators mess with the current draw, but don't get hooked up as sound sources. Cool idea.
TheOutsider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Repeater,

Yes indeed I think it may have been the Cacophonator that I 'borrowed' the LFO idea from. I must've looked at about 100 different pages on the Internet and the same amount of schematics before I mashed together my mixed up mess of a circuit. Love these things though! 2 more in the works right now.
Mikmo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks.

technical explanation or not it makes totally sense Very Happy

TheOutsider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I fired up all 3 of the machines I've built and recorded a little noodling session...

http://soundcloud.com/swcspaceyards/next-stop-andromeda
jtrain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could someone link me to a schematic for the WSG resonant low pass filter? Been looking, can't find it.
Just Say Noise!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject:  CMOS synth problems
Subject description: Want to add momentary switches to 40106 synth
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I have been experimenting with adding momentary buttons to the Hetrodyne Space Explorer so it can be played "percussively" instead of "droning". However, depending on where in the circuit I add the momentary buttons, some strange problems have occurred. Perhaps someone can shed some light on what is happening and where/how to add momentary switches.

Location 1-
I inserted momentary normally open SPST push button switchs into the oscillator outputs (from pins 2,4,6, and 8 ) just before the "S2, S3, S4 and S5" toggle switch locations as the schematic shows. When the newly added momentary buttons are pressed, the oscillator signal is heard loud and clear but when the button is released it is not completely silenced. You can still hear the oscillators humming away, although faintly. I would assume that the oscillators would be completely silent if the output signal path is disconnected, but this is not the case. I thought it was just a breadboard bleed through problem but I have soldered the circuit onto a pcb with components and put it all in an enclosure and can still hear the oscillators faintly.

Location 2-
I have found that when inserting a momentary normally open SPST push button switch in the feedback loop between, say pins 1 and 2, that it stops the oscillator completely, which stops the faint bleed through problem. But this set-up causes a new problem, which is: When the oscillators are being mixed through the diodes rather than the resistors, and the new momentary buttons are pressed, random volume drops and signal cancellations happen between the different oscillators (not the clipping/gating effect that the diodes normally produce). However, when the oscillators are mixed through the resistors this phenomenon does not happen.

Just to restate my question:

When I add momentary buttons to the oscillator outputs, the oscillators can still be faintly heard when the buttons are in the "off/open" position. When I put the momentary button between pins 1 and 2, random volume drops and signal cancellations happen between the separate oscillators when mixing through the diodes. Where/how do I add momentary switches to the circuit?

Thanks for any help!
Jason
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to not be of any help, but wanted to say ::

Welcome Jason "You are home!" ( nice site you have! Laughing )

jean bender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everybody !
I've got a question... Need some explanations !

On The outsider schematic, we can see that the pwm oscillation is built around a 4148 diode. Could someone explain me why we need this diode ? in an electronically way ? It's a bit of theory that i don't get yet.

Thanks for any answer !
Smile

www.electroncanon.org
Kabzoer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the feedback resistor determines how fast the capacitor charges,
a diode+resistor in parallel (pointing towards the capacitor) makes it charge faster in the on state,
but when it's in the off state, it will discharge at normal speed, as if the resistor+diode are not there.
The opposite will happen when it points towards the output.
This change in speed in either the off or on state will make that state shorter = pulse width

Hope I'm right on this, but that's how i assume it works...
jean bender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Kazboer !
Thanks for your answer, it now takes sense for me !
great !

www.electroncanon.org
Kabzoer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jtrain wrote:
Could someone link me to a schematic for the WSG resonant low pass filter? Been looking, can't find it.

Here is is, I made everything that doesn't belong to the filter brighter full details on his site: http://bit.ly/uXRemx

Just Say Noise! wrote:
You can still hear the oscillators humming away, although faintly.

Maybe you can put a large resistor (100k or more) to ground after the switch, to make that it remains at ground, I did not test this but i think it should work...

schematicpg1.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.64 KB
 Viewed:  721 Time(s)

schematicpg1.gif

bikini-inspector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jtrain wrote:

here's a stripboard layout i made some time ago, maybe it helps. Verified and in heavy use.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-47418.html

since i got a monotribe for my birthday, i feel the need for a better filter, though.
Did you look into MS-20 type filters? The one in the monotribe sounds real great!
Just Say Noise!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kabzoer wrote:
Maybe you can put a large resistor (100k or more) to ground after the switch, to make that it remains at ground, I did not test this but i think it should work...

Thanks for the reply Kabzoer. I've tried the resistor to ground with several different values but the oscillator can still be heard, although it is a little quieter. I decided to try putting the momentary button in the feedback loop of the oscillator instead of on the output. I've attached a schematic of the circuit. With this setup, when the momentary buttons are pressed simultaneously, the oscillators drop randomly in volume or cut out completely. Any ideas why its doing this? I think a "transistor buffer" may be needed at the outputs, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Thanks for any help!

IMG_0904.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.85 KB
 Viewed:  590 Time(s)

IMG_0904.JPG

garcho

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this is almost a year old, but...
When I put N.O. momentary switches in circuits like these, it's between the input pins' caps and ground (for instance, pin 1 on a 40106 going through switch, into cap). Voltage regulators (78L05, for example) seem to help iron out a few glitches, but I've just started experimenting using those with the CMOS chips.

karczilla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's mine i made quickly. nice and easy circuit.

i ended up using all six inverters. 3 pairs of different ranges (caps).

i used an SN74HC14, which i messed up and didn't know its meant for 2-6V, but its working OK on 9V....for now... Embarassed

IMG_1961.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.98 MB
 Viewed:  1983 Time(s)

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.82 MB
 Viewed:  2015 Time(s)

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.78 MB
 Viewed:  2121 Time(s)

IMG_1958.JPG

Smegma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those color knobs are nice, where did you get them?
karczilla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smegma wrote:
Those color knobs are nice, where did you get them?

TaydaElectronics.com
Smegma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!
karczilla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ebay is a pretty good place for knobs for cheap (from china)...though it may take 2-3 weeks to arrive depending on the shipping used, etc..

also the cheap banana jacks on ebay from china are great for circuit bending due to the fact that they have the metal socket expose which is great for using as contact points using your fingers, i recently stumbled upon. but use super glue or lock-tite to ensure you don't one day pull out the entire socket with banana plug as the nuts and threads are pretty bad...
Gizzard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Heterodyne space explorer
Subject description: Heterodyne space explorer
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone get there paws on a legit Heterodyne space explorer Stripboard?
Page 3 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: