electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Modification to the new vari-clock 16 step sequencer
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Modification to the new vari-clock 16 step sequencer
Subject description: i missed this , ooops
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hiya , Happy new year too all.

I've had a chance over the festive period to get to grips with the new sequencer ... http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-54288.html ....

For nearly all my music i clock all the analog sequencers externally from my hardware midi sequencer (yamaha RM1X) .

It seems the new internal / external selector switch allows an external clock to feed only the old sequencer but not the new vari-clock circuit , it is permenantly fed from the new master clock on the new pcb .

The new master clock circuit is clocking , from U6 pin12 to U5 pin4 DN & U7 pin 11 CLK also INH D8 cathode connects to U6 pin13 .

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/forums.html?CATPARTNO=&PROJARG=SEQUENCER_VARICLOCK%2FSEQUENCER_VARICLOCK.php&MAINTAB=SYNTHDIY&VPW=1121&VPH=538

Is there a simple way to replace the master clock with an external clock via the panel clock switch ???

This could be a head scratcher , there is thick Scotch mist descended over my work bench already, fogging an obvious answer Smile

Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Getting somewhere now , tried this idea and it works Smile

Now the next problem .... as described in the documents , U7b halfs the master clock frequency & now also halfs the external clock, while clocking with the other sequencers it sounds obviously half as fast .

To save tampering too deeply with Ray's design , i've had a quick google and found a simple looking 4069 driven frequency doubler which i'll horse together on veroboard and try on the incoming external clock.

Dave.

switch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.62 KB
 Viewed:  440 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

switch.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi again .

Possibly another oversight ..... I've noticed i can't get binary count led No.1 to light when set to 2steps , for testing purposes, using a 100k pot for selecting the quantised steps, at full CCW i get no led's = 1 step , good , then it goes to straight to binary led 2 = 3 steps , working fine beyond this , just seems to be 2 steps i can't select .
I've tried the scale trimmer in all positions but still can't get the pot to show led 1 , Led 1 works fine for all further binary combinations

Just this problem and doubling the external clock frequency and it will become a very good MFOS sequencer.

Need to read the schematics again , im a bit hazey on how the binary section is working.

Dave.
dancelwerk

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Dave for your work trying to get the new circuit, i sure you will get.

Fernando.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Take your time.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dave, happy new year!!!

I am looking old post i had open, and i remember this post, about the variclock add, did you get to double the frequency in external sync mode at last?

Thanks in advance.

Fernando.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Today on the morning I made the mod and works perfect, but only works in external mode, when i put the internal mode sequencer goes to speed of the light, but I don't care I only use the sequencer synced with Cubase, in the program I writte a pattern with the rimshot of my 909 at 1/16, I use the rim like external clock, like you say sequencer goes at half, but to solve that problem you only put the pattern at 1/32 and works perfect without need of aditional circuit.

Thanks for your mod.

Dancelwerk.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there Fernando , happy NY Smile .

My experiment with a frequency doubler did not work , PLL circuits have trouble latching/ operating at 1 to 2 hertz .
I ended up doing just what you did last year , stream 32 gates instead of my normal 16 gates from my midi sequencer.

To run my other normal sequencers I have a simple clock divider , the main modular clock from my RM1X is 32 steps now and I divide by 2 for the other standard sequencers.

Glad you got it working in the end.

Happy sequencing Smile Smile

Dave.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dave-- I was just reading about an older mod you made to this sequencer; one I was hoping you could elaborate a little more, for someone without a lot of technical expertise.

You incorporated a dual gate bus using a dual position switch-- is there a way you could illustrate the wiring for this switch? Also, if I understand correctly, the only additional circuitry needed is an additional gate/trig bus output buffer; is this correct?

I was thinking about using one of Ray's Aux Gate/LED PCBs, and using the output buffer for this second gate/trig output. Then, I was thinking about trying to use the Aux LED section to add individual gate outputs to each stage. Although, I'd rather not have to build buffers for each individual gate output (maybe I can get away without).
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Eric.

Just noticed your post , I will sketch a diagram when I get back from work later on Smile

Dave.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanx Dave, looking forward to your help!

I had another modification idea pertaining to the trig/gate output on this sequencer-- I hope this is an appropriate place to post about it-- this topic is for sequencer modifications I think.

Here goes-- I was thinking it might be useful to have a voltage controlled pulse width on the output gates; this would provide an additional variation to sequenced sounds. A manual pulse width knob would be alright, but voltage control I think is even better for controlling pulse width with an independent LFO, etc.

I believe what's needed for pulse width control is a comparator. There's a compact voltage controlled comparator circuit + pcb layout on the Yu-Synth website that I'm hoping might be perfect for this application:

http://www.yusynth.net/Modular/index_en.html

does this make sense? I think normally one would input a ramp or triangle wave to the comparator to derive PWM, but maybe square will work as well. It might be that PWM is better suited to the constant repetitive pulse chain of the clock output. I'm thinking of the "streams of pulses" as can be heard around 2:32 in this clip of David Vorhaus's Maniac Sequencer: http://youtu.be/XH3aYVbILP4?t=17s
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Smile
Here is a wee diagram as how to do gate A or B per step....
use a double pole double throw to select A or B , or use a on / off / on (DPDT cen/off) for no gate in middle switch position.

For the 2 bus rails , wire a solid copper wire along the top connections of the 16 switches and a separate one along the bottom connections , the middle switch tag has the diode for each step which connects to the step indicator LED and S number (S15 , S14 , S13...)

gate 1 & 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  343.14 KB
 Viewed:  446 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

gate 1 & 2.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
dave-- I was thinking about using one of Ray's Aux Gate/LED PCBs, and using the output buffer for this second gate/trig output. Then, I was thinking about trying to use the Aux LED section to add individual gate outputs to each stage. Although, I'd rather not have to build buffers for each individual gate output (maybe I can get away without).

Use rays extra add on board if you need 2 simultaneous separate gates.

Having a Gate out socket per step would require 16 of the gate conditioners (buffers) if you are going to use a selection of gate outs to fire multiple ADSR's etc.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

M.A.N.I.A.C. cool Very Happy , I have slavered over that vid for a while now Very Happy , I think a good way to get a maniac is 4 klee sequencers & sequential switches & cv mixers for transposing Very Happy , the pulse train sounds , I can get sort of close to that sound using Ken Stone burst generator , another good circuit that would live happily in a sequencer.

PWM , my knowledge doesn't quite stretch to helping on that one , sorry Smile

Dave.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I find this chip, hat cv multiplier and perhaps could be work for double the clock.

http://electricdruid.net/product/taplfo-tap-tempo-lfo/

take a view.

Cheers.

Fernando.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Fernando Smile

that looks interesting , unfortunately I took my vari-sequencer apart to build the Super Sequencer last year http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-63821.html .

If you have success with the tap lfo , post your results & demo here or on the other vari thread http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-54288.html

Good luck with trying it out.

Dave.
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: