electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Binary Game Sequencer
Page 3 of 4 [91 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
mcop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
i still hope to do a set of PCBs for this Shocked

Excellent Smile
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Knocked this panel idea together in Corel draw, after studying Matthias's circuits , this is a long way off being built , I have the new drum synth to finish first Smile Smile.
I added an extra toggle switch for the external CV inputs , the budget type of jack sockets I use on my DIY builds would mean +15 contacting the patch lead tip before breaking the switch contact , the extra switches will work as.... switched right = ext CV socket only or switched left = +15V only .
Led indicators are below each division number.

I am really looking forward to building this Smile Smile .

And It may over time turn into a dual sequencer module Very Happy .

Many thanks again Matthias for sharing the circuit.

Dave.

Binary Sequencer in skrog blue.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.13 MB
 Viewed:  516 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Binary Sequencer in skrog blue.jpg

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

now that i think about it, we might better call it an arpeggiator...
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have already had the measuring tape out to see if there is room on the wall of blue modular for another case Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy heheh.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I threw some components onto a bit of veroboard , almost done , just the transistor buffer outputs to finish then ready to wire up for testing on an old panel, I started with the IC sockets first , then worked away from them populating each section of the circuit. I love the tense moment when populating out from the chip sockets " have I cut the veroboard big enough"
hehehe it usually works out fine , just like this one did Smile .

I hopefully should be hooking this up to the modular for tests early next week.

Dave.

binary veroboard.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.32 MB
 Viewed:  552 Time(s)

binary veroboard.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wires , lots Smile

I have been over all tracks & cuts with a continuity meter to check for the usual villans (slivers of copper , microscopic solder on next track contact , inadequate isolator drilling, etc Very Happy ) , wires are all on now and ready for the old bit of test panel to get some sockets & switches mounted, hope to have a power test in a few nights without chips then with chips.

Latest stage pic (Bruce chomps the binary Smile )

Wirey binary game seq.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  823.33 KB
 Viewed:  478 Time(s)

Wirey binary game seq.jpg

fonik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bounce
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wire hook up stage now Smile Smile

binary panel rear.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  847.94 KB
 Viewed:  503 Time(s)

binary panel rear.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias.....
Smile
Got it powered up yesterday but had a little trouble with clocking to begin with.
I had a 5v square clock going in to the socket , no cycle , checked with scope nice square going into D1 , cut down by R3 (47K) into base of Q1 , collector outputting nice 0 - 5v square .
At the point where D2 & D8 & R12 join to clock in on 4024 the clock was up at nearly rail level clocking away, but not cycling the sequencer , for an experiment , I unhooked R67 from the +V and it started clocking normally , cool .

Rotary encoder , with this circuit disabled I tried hooking the return cable from the encoder, through a signal diode to the base of Q1 , it started working via that path , great Smile.

Could I ask what the best way is, to set up the trimmers on the TL074's for the cv.
Thanks Smile.

Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow , this is so at home with Orchard & Epicyclus / skrog music Very Happy Very Happy

It's not calibrated yet but I've had 3 hrs fun jamming with it Smile Smile .

Using the sequencer I have been setting up the cv pots to pre-set tunings then using the A/B switches to bring in and out different cv layers.

Here is a thrown together mp3 with the binary sequencer cv into a mfos vco (1 squ/ 1 saw vcf / vca) , with the vca adsr gated from the main clock.

0 to 11 seconds , no switches on to cv mixer.
11 to 26 seconds ,only divide by 2 cv switched on to cv mixer.
26 to 43 seconds , /2 & /4 on.
43 to 1:05 , /2 & /4 & /16 on.
1:05 to 1:17 , /2 , /4 , /16 & /32 on.
1:17 to 1:49 , /2 , /4 , /16 , /32 , /64 on. Almost a classic Nik Kershaw melody, excellent! Smile Smile Smile Smile.

Dave.

Binary sequencer & new yellow drum synth.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Binary sequencer & new yellow drum synth.mp3
 Filesize:  5.95 MB
 Downloaded:  1021 Time(s)

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rough panel layout with home printer test sticker & wrong hole drilled for reset push , oops , Smile

skrog binary sequencer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  473.1 KB
 Viewed:  451 Time(s)

skrog binary sequencer.jpg

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skrog Productions wrote:
...Using the sequencer I have been setting up the cv pots to pre-set tunings then using the A/B switches to bring in and out different cv layers.

Here is a thrown together mp3 with the binary sequencer...

Cool Nice demo track of this sequencer Exclamation And your new yellow drum synth sounds pretty damn good too Exclamation

fonik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skrog Productions wrote:
Matthias.....
Smile
Got it powered up yesterday but had a little trouble with clocking to begin with.
I had a 5v square clock going in to the socket , no cycle , checked with scope nice square going into D1 , cut down by R3 (47K) into base of Q1 , collector outputting nice 0 - 5v square .
At the point where D2 & D8 & R12 join to clock in on 4024 the clock was up at nearly rail level clocking away, but not cycling the sequencer , for an experiment , I unhooked R67 from the +V and it started clocking normally , cool .

Rotary encoder , with this circuit disabled I tried hooking the return cable from the encoder, through a signal diode to the base of Q1 , it started working via that path , great Smile.

good find, and a good move! i just doulbed the clock circuitry for both the actual clock input and the rotary encoder, which is nonsense obviously. the pull-up resistor of either the clock or the ncoder ciruitry would keep the the CMOS from counting, haha.
well done, you!

Quote:
Could I ask what the best way is, to set up the trimmers on the TL074's for the cv.

T1 through T7 are to trimm the attenuverters to 0V at center position of the pot. these trimmers are only needed when using push on knobs. when using knobs with a set-screw you could 'calibrate' just by putting the know into the correct position.

and now i am going to listen to your demo!

fonik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ha, great demo! and that's only one channel/VCO... i am looking forward to a dual VCO two channel demo, dave!
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i will correct the schematic ASAP. summing the clock and the encoder before the inverting transistor is the right thing to do in this case.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

varice wrote:

Cool Nice demo track of this sequencer Exclamation And your new yellow drum synth sounds pretty damn good too Exclamation

Thanks Smile
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:

T1 through T7 are to trimm the attenuverters to 0V at center position of the pot. these trimmers are only needed when using push on knobs. when using knobs with a set-screw you could 'calibrate' just by putting the know into the correct position.

and now i am going to listen to your demo!

Ah thanks Matthias Smile Smile , I used splined shaft push on knobs , cool ,......... Just been at workbench and tried trimmers , I'am powering this using +/- 12V, the trimmers didn't quite allow the zeroing to adjust 0V to center knob position , tried a 33K in place of the 100K feedback R on the attenuverter , cool , can adjust to 0V center pot.
-10v to the left and +10v to the right and 0V in the middle Smile Smile , will change the other 6 to 33K as well Smile (even number resistors R70 to R82) .

many thanks for your help, Matthias.

Dave.

Last edited by Skrog Productions on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
ha, great demo! and that's only one channel/VCO... i am looking forward to a dual VCO two channel demo, dave!

Thanks Smile , i'll get to work on a double vco / vcf / vca per channel demo in a few nights Smile Smile

Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Smile
Quick test trying an external cv in to one of the divisions.

On this mp3 I have patched from cv out 'A' to a standard vco/vcf/vca chain .

And also patched cv output 'B' into a VC-LFO's cv input , the lfo Triangle output is used to modulate divide by 64 binary stage cv input (cv switch set to 'A' & attenuverter input switch set to external cv) , the modulation changes each time it cycles through a pattern loop Smile .

binary Seq 1 vco vca chA vcLfo chB to cv in-01.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  binary Seq 1 vco vca chA vcLfo chB to cv in-01.mp3
 Filesize:  3.25 MB
 Downloaded:  989 Time(s)

fonik

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

since this new version is bi-polar you could use the external inputs for audio as well.

will listen to your demo tonight.

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Modification ..........

If you are going to use the binary module only for filter cv's & as a modulation source only , ignore this post....

While trying the module out in the modular system and jamming away Smile , using the attenuverters to set the tunings for my vco / vco's , I found the voltage swing of 10volts of the pots to be too big for the lower division steps, so to try to customise the module for my usual melodic synth music , I had a play about with changing the sweep of the pots , after much experimenting I went for this....
I disconnected the 2 outer pot connections on all 7 stages ( leaving the middle wiper wire still connected) , and put a same value resistor in series of each connection .

/2 pot with 91K & 91K about 2.5 octaves swing +/- on vco.
/4 pot with 91K & 91K.
/8 pot with 120K & 120K about 1.5 octaves swing +/- on vco.
/16 pot with 120K & 120K.
/32 pot with 120K & 120K.
/64 pot with 200K & 200K about 1 octaves swing +/- on vco.
/128 pot with 200K & 200K.

Then re-calibrated the zero trimmers for the new pot travels .

Here is another test mp3 with a vco & vca on each output, bass line melody first then 2nd melody fades in ,with a bit of echo half way through & yellow drum synth doing some beats. Smile

binary seq 2 vco's 2 vca's delay & drumsynth-01.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  binary seq 2 vco's 2 vca's delay & drumsynth-01.mp3
 Filesize:  4.44 MB
 Downloaded:  974 Time(s)

Last edited by Skrog Productions on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
fonik

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skrog Productions wrote:
I disconnected the 2 outer pot connections on all 7 stages ( leaving the middle wiper wire still connected) , and put a same value resistor in series of each connection .

/2 pot with 91K & 91K about 2.5 octaves swing +/- on vco.
/4 pot with 91K & 91K.
/8 pot with 120K & 120K about 1.5 octaves swing +/- on vco.
/16 pot with 120K & 120K.
/32 pot with 120K & 120K.
/64 pot with 200K & 200K about 1 octaves swing +/- on vco.
/128 pot with 200K & 200K.

geat idea.
all CV will add up, so lowering the range of the higher divisions pots is a unique and great idea! wow.

it is nice to see that you have fun to play with the module and develop it further to your needs...

Last edited by fonik on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice demos dave Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

indeed very nice demo... should put this too on my do list...

are the percussive sounds are all from your diy drum machine? if so... wow!!
sounds very charming.

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
since this new version is bi-polar you could use the external inputs for audio as well.

I have not tried audio yet Smile , i'll have a go through the week Smile
Page 3 of 4 [91 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Jump to: