electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
Critique/Suggestions on my writing
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
XyberICE

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject:  Critique/Suggestions on my writing
Subject description: Critique/Suggestions on my writing
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to upload some of my tracks for critique or suggestions for improvement from my peers (electronic musicians, amateur or otherwise)? I'm passionate about writing ambient electronica Very Happy , but I have no formal training, and I'm really teaching myself. I have many years of formal training in music theory and classical instruments (violin and piano), but to compose electronic music you really need a much more varied skill set (rhythm theory, harmony progression, bass lines , instrument creation, track layering etc...) I love teaching myself, but I'm stuck now and a few pointers on how I can improve the music I've already written will go a long way.

I'm a Software Engineer by trade so I've been able to learn most of Logic Pro X on my own, but I lack knowledge of basic music composition theory. And none of my friends knows enough to really give me specific, advanced advice.

Specifically for this track 'The Funambulist":

My phrase transitions are really rough. The transitions basically amount to cross-fading two different melodies...but I don’t know how to dovetail the different chord structures any other way...what do you think? And the ending is _way_ to repetitive, but I’m not sure how to end gracefully... I don’t want it to be too abrupt.

Intellectually lonely in Naperville Crying or Very sad

-XyberICE

The Funambulist v3 - 12_26_14, 10.11 PM.mp3
 Description:
Title: The Funambulist
Artist: Me!

Download
 Filename:  The Funambulist v3 - 12_26_14, 10.11 PM.mp3
 Filesize:  5.15 MB
 Downloaded:  1681 Time(s)

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice track! I really enjoyed listening to it Smile

With electronic music, there are two common ways of transitioning from one part of a song to another.

1. LAYERING: You do this a bit as stuff comes in - each part comes in, plays a couple of times, and then the next part comes in. However, you didn't do this as smoothly at the ending. I recommend having the piano melody play for a bit longer at the end of the track. Keep it going underneath the panning phasing sound. Then slowly fade out the piano with a low pass filter instead of just the volume knob. This will give it a different effect like it is being muffled (drowned in the rain) instead of just getting quieter.

2. BUILD/RISE/DROP: These are all variations of the same sort of idea. you build up sounds and sweep filters open to create tension and smooth out/masked a transition. In your case, I think a simple filter sweep on a noise generator would fit well. You could get it to sound like wind, which fits with the thunderstorm theme. Have the peak of the filter sweep happen right on your transition.
XyberICE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Cynosure! I love the idea of using filters to help with transitions. As long as I get the layering right, that'll give some really nice phrase conversions.

-X
mongoosh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love to use this site as a reference to chords and scales

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/piano/

and if i want a bass arpeggio i use this site as a refference

http://www.musicopedia.com/arpeggio/5-bass.php

I hope this site's wil help u
XyberICE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject:  Chord Reference Sites
Subject description: Chord Reference Sites
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Mongoosh!! Smile

I'll check out those sites to add some moving bass to the track. Another musician that heard the track recommended that I add some bass for rhythm to make it "move" a little more. You have any suggestions hiw I can improve the track?

-X
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: