electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Kutztown U Computer Music & Visualization Conference
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:  Kutztown U Computer Music & Visualization Conference
Subject description: June 13 & 14, 2015
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Calendar Event: June 13, 2015

KUCMVC2015 — Kutztown University Computer Music & Visualization Conference 2015, FREE and OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, June 13 & 14, 2015

All,

You are invited to attend in a 2-day electro-music satellite event in the Grim Planetarium, Kutzown U. of PA on June 13 & 14, 2015. There is a preliminary schedule of performers here, and there a few slots open, so please post here if you'd like to perform. Most of the performers on the initial list are electro-music regulars, many of whom have been talking with me for years about playing in the planetarium. Kutztown is about 90 minutes NW of Philly, between Allentown & Reading, PA.

Steve Mokris & Michael O’Bannon have agreed to do 1/3 of visuals each, along with 1 musical performance each. Students, colleagues & I will pick up the other 1/3. Intention is electro-acoustic, but a few exploratory acoustic performers will be fine.

Plan is 30 minutes for each performance, with three back-to-back performances, interspersed with 45 minute setup breaks, and a 2 hour dinner break each day. That gives us time for up to 30 performances.

The event is free, and the public will be invited to attend. Meals are not covered, but Main Street is a 5-minute walk. Apartment-style dorm rooms come in blocks of 4, and they are cheaper if we rent all 4 simultaneously. See notes from the conference manager at bottom of this message. I will schedule 3-day dorm reservations first in order to fill out blocks. The conference manager has not gotten back to me as of today, Feb 28, about the details for reserving room, but we are on her event radar. She is very busy.

We should be able to stream the event, in which case we’d need streaming volunteers.

Here are some related links for the uninitiated:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153948988315117.1073741840.579770116&type=1&l=161e84621a

http://www2.kutztown.edu/directions

http://www.kutztown.edu/planetarium/

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152081496660117.900146.579770116&type=1&l=f43c2f3550

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151412887095117.823610.579770116&type=3&l=f7e8d0b3f5

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150793380120117.730472.579770116&l=7118b6f81e&type=1

Here is what the person in charge of dorm rooms for conferences had to say on Nov 24:

Costs are not determined for this coming summer yet BUT I have attached a fee scheduled reflecting last year's fees. I don’t expect them to change significantly. Here is what you would need to charge your guests to cover expenses:

$ 25.25 per person/per night (assuming single occupancy in a bedroom) $ 12.50 linen pack includes 2 towels, 2 sheets, 1 pillow case, 1 wash cloth (one-time fee, linen to be returned) $ 5.75 pillow (one-time fee, pillow is theirs to keep) $ 4.50 blanket (optional, one-time fee, blanket to be returned) There is also a cleaning charge for every suite that you use ($75-$80). It is probably easiest to consider filling each bed in a suite so you can charge $20 flat fee per person. If you only put 1 or 2 persons in an apartment, you still pay $75-$80 for the cleaning fee so it is best to fill the units as tightly as you can.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: some technical info on the visuals

Cool There are a lot of electro-music festival regulars signed up to play, along with some non-EM folks and locals, which is part of the point. Lots of discussion on FB and none here, which makes this great for posting stuff not likely to get lost in the hurly burly over there.

This post is especially for people doing their own visuals, especially real-time graphics. I know the projector takes VGA and HDMI. Phill Reed tells me that for anyone who brings a video in standard format such as MPEG, that he has software that will clip the corners correctly & project.

MANDATORY CLIPPING TO A CIRCLE: Visual artists need to clip their graphics to a circle in the middle of Display 2 on their laptop. This clipping is not necessary for prerecorded videos (see above). Display 2 is 1920 pixels wide and 1200 pixels high. In order to eliminate the risk of hitting people in the back rows in the eyes, please clip your display to a 1200 pixel diameter circle in the middle of display 2.

I am also attaching the Processing sketch (program) that I threw together tonight, between ordering a vegetarian calzone & going to pick it up, so I could look at angles and pixels sizes and such. It reports the 1920 x 1200 on the bottom of the code screen shot, which was taken simultaneously with the screen shot showing the image going to the dome. That image bears out the 1920 x 1200 pixle report. More to follow.

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 7.59.48 PM.png
 Description:
Display 1 at 19:59:48 tonight.
 Filesize:  4.74 MB
 Viewed:  1350 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 7.59.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 7.59.48 PM (2).png
 Description:
Display 2 at 19:59:48 tonight, from the VGA to the planetarium dome.
 Filesize:  253.83 KB
 Viewed:  1220 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 7.59.48 PM (2).png

domey.txt
 Description:
My Processing sketch code for these screen shots.

Download
 Filename:  domey.txt
 Filesize:  6.98 KB
 Downloaded:  1161 Time(s)

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: spatial

The planetarium markers show 0 degrees at North, but polar geometry conventions place 0 degrees polar -> right along the X axis in Cartesian, which projects to West on the dome. The diagram below showing speaker placement uses the planetarium's markers reference, while my software uses polar geometry. The angle increases in both as you go counterclockwise, they just start 0 at different cardinal directions.

Display 2 on a laptop puts the bottom of the second "screen" to the south and top to the north, with west on the right and east on the left. Just lie on the ground with your head to the north, feet to the south, looking upward, and you will find west is on your right. Go ahead, just try it.

I always look to the south so I can set up my display 2, in case I need to use a mouse and look my cursor on the dome.

The subwoofer is on the floor. Nobody knows quite where. This place is a Tardis.

GrimDomeExtra.jpg
 Description:
Speaker placement.
 Filesize:  262.66 KB
 Viewed:  1193 Time(s)

GrimDomeExtra.jpg

DSC_0128.JPG
 Description:
Fish eye photo, including my head.
 Filesize:  4.77 MB
 Viewed:  1175 Time(s)

DSC_0128.JPG

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: the 4 cardinal directions

Here are some fish eye photos from the 4 directions

DSC_0139.JPG
 Description:
north & east
 Filesize:  4.27 MB
 Viewed:  1120 Time(s)

DSC_0139.JPG

DSC_0134.JPG
 Description:
south & west
 Filesize:  4.39 MB
 Viewed:  1171 Time(s)

DSC_0134.JPG

DSC_0148.JPG
 Description:
we can do a quiet blue light if anyone wants that
 Filesize:  4.23 MB
 Viewed:  1121 Time(s)

DSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG
 Description:
or red
 Filesize:  3.42 MB
 Viewed:  1193 Time(s)

DSC_0150.JPG

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Updated Schedule

Here is an updated schedule. A name with an * suffix means that performer(s) have confirmed the time slot. I am working on getting confirmations from the remainder. Most of the discussion is on an event page on FB, but I am happy to coordinate any non-FBers here.
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject:
Subject description: flyer

Here is a draft flyer with a draft schedule for this event.
There are schedule details here.
April Fools' day edit: Updated the flyer.
April 3 edit: Updated the flyer to use the word "planetarium."
May 6 edit: Updated the flyer and the linked schedule.

I may have said this further up: My plan is to record everything, get permissions, clean recordings up one performance at a time, and post the recordings here, incrementally, throughout the summer, for use in http://radio.electro-music.com and your listening pleasure.

KUCMVC2015poster4.jpg
 Description:
May 6 revised flyer
 Filesize:  8.23 MB
 Viewed:  1082 Time(s)

KUCMVC2015poster4.jpg

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is going to be great! Can't wait...

party time!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
This is going to be great! Can't wait...

party time!

You are a great inspiration for setting up this sort of thing, Howard. Very Happy

Phill Reed & I just got grant funding (~$60K) for a laser projector to augment the current 1200 pixel diameter (SVGA/HDMI) raster projector in the room. We won't install that until later in the summer, and will have to learn how to use it. I will need to get an additional low-level programming API for me and my students. It comes with animation tools and a scripting language, but of course we want to get deeply under the hood. So, there will be even more we can do with electro-music visuals in that room as time goes on.

This event will be very much an experimental workshop. The participants will learn a lot. I figure on doing something like this roughly once every two years, if all goes well. See you soon!

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are mixer presets. Picking one of these will make switching much easier than using custom mixes. There is little time to switch from one performer to the next in a 3-set.

GrimDomeConfig6.jpg
 Description:
Config 6 is for performers who want full control of spatial sound. The mixer can adjust levels, but topologically speaking, it is a feed thru.
 Filesize:  361.77 KB
 Viewed:  1078 Time(s)

GrimDomeConfig6.jpg

GrimDomeConfig2.jpg
 Description:
Config 2 is for performers supplying a single stereo feed. This is the planned speaker routing.
 Filesize:  376.62 KB
 Viewed:  1019 Time(s)

GrimDomeConfig2.jpg

GrimDomeConfig4a.jpg
 Description:
Config 4a is for two performers with two stereo pairs who want to be mixed down to regular stereo as in the previous config.
 Filesize:  390.62 KB
 Viewed:  1039 Time(s)

GrimDomeConfig4a.jpg

GrimDomeConfig4b.jpg
 Description:
Config 4b is for two performers with two stereo pairs who want to get distinct speaker pairs as much as possible. Jeremy and I have used this for separate ping-pong delays from each of us to good effect.
 Filesize:  380.13 KB
 Viewed:  1043 Time(s)

GrimDomeConfig4b.jpg

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Updated flyer with a few name tweaks. The visual artist pairings at
http://faculty.kutztown.edu/parson/KUCMVC2015.pdf
updated for format.

KUCMVC2015poster4.jpg
 Description:
KUCMVC2015, updated May 10, 2015
 Filesize:  8.22 MB
 Viewed:  958 Time(s)

KUCMVC2015poster4.jpg

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

May 16, less than a month to go . . .

Here are the main results of another study of the projector in the planetarium yesterday, May 15, 2015. Thanks to Michael O'Bannon for asking more questions.

The attached photo shows the three resolution configurations that the planetarium projector presents to my new-ish MacBook Pro (2014) when plugged into the projector using either HDMI or SVGA. These settings come from the projector.

1920 X 1200 (same as what you get with "Best for Display")
1600 X 1000
1280 X 800

Some specs for the projector are here. Look at the Full Dome column (not the Truncated column) of the specs. Our planetarium is full dome with circular seating.

RULE 1 (CLIP TO A CENTERED CIRCLE): In fulldome mode the projector has a max resolution of 1920 X 1200, which you need to clip to a 1200 X 1200 circle that is centered in the display. If you plan on setting up at 1600 X 1000, then clip to a 1000 X 1000 circle centered in the display, and if at 1280 X 800 then clip to a 800 X 800 circle in the center if the display. Of course, 1920 X 1200 clipped to a 1200-pixel diameter circle gives the best resolution, as long as your laptop & software can drive it without stuttering using at least 30 frames per second.

IF YOU DO NOT CLIP TO A CENTERED CIRCLE, YOUR PROJECTION WILL GO OFF DOME & BLAST PEOPLE IN THE BACK ROW IN THE EYES. The projector can project 15 degrees below horizontal.

RULE 2: If at all possible, use HDMI instead of SVGA. Sometimes the 1600 X 1000 setting under SVGA shifted about 10 degrees to the west, and the 1280 X 800 setting always did so when plugged using SVGA. HDMI never had a problem on any of the three settings. Use HDMI.

There are two graphics chips in my MacBook, one for driving the built-in display, and the other for the outbound display #2. Here is what "About This Mac -> More Info -> System report -> Graphics Displays" shows for display #2 when resolution is set to 1900 X 1200; the GPU itself can apparently drive up to 2880 x 1800 pixels:
Code:
  Chipset Model:   NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
  Type:   GPU
  Bus:   PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:   x8
  VRAM (Total):   2048 MB
  Vendor:   NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:   0x0fe9
  Revision ID:   0x00a2
  ROM Revision:   3776
  gMux Version:   4.0.8 [3.2.8]
  Displays:
Color LCD:
  Display Type:   Retina LCD
  Resolution:   2880 x 1800
  Retina:   Yes
  Pixel Depth:   32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:   Yes
  Mirror:   Off
  Online:   Yes
  Built-In:   Yes
WUXGA DLP:
  Resolution:   1920 x 1200 @ 59 Hz
  Display Serial Number:   09410099 t 
  Rotation:   Supported
  Television:   Yes

At 1600 X 1000 the setup shows this:
Code:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M:

Displays:
Color LCD:
WUXGA DLP:
  Resolution:   1600 x 1000 @ 59 Hz

At 1280 X 800 it shows this:
Code:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M:

Displays:
Color LCD:
WUXGA DLP:
  Resolution:   1280 x 800 @ 59 Hz

There are two additional photos attached to this post showing screenshots for both display from a Processing script that sizes itself to the display size of the dome projector, in this case for 1920 X 1200. Another post further down in this thread shows the other two settings. Assuming that electro-music does not resize images, the screenshot from the dome projector should weigh in at 1920 X 1200. Note that it is my responsibility to clip to a 1200 X 1200 circle in the center. Here is the Processing script I used to study the dome.
Code:
// Getting Processing to work on the planetarium dome.
// D. Parson, Summer 2014

/* NOT NEEDED IN 2.X
See http://wiki.processing.org/w/Window_Size_and_Full_Screen
public void init() {
  frame.removeNotify();
  frame.setUndecorated(true);
  frame.addNotify();
  super.init();
}
*/
private PFont pfont ;
void setup() {
  size(displayWidth, displayHeight);
  background(0);
  pfont = createFont( "Courier", 40);  // use a fixed-width font!!!
  textFont(pfont);
  textAlign(CENTER);
  println("DISPLAY WIDTH IS " + displayWidth + ", HEIGHT IS " + displayHeight + " PIXELS.");
}

boolean sketchFullScreen() {
  return true;
  // Also from Preferences "Run sketches on display 2" for dome.
}
// My 0 degrees West Room marker says 270
// My 90 degrees North Room marker says 0
// My 180 degrees East Room marker says 90
// My 270 degrees South Room marker says 180

int [][] colors = {
  {128, 128, 128},
  {255, 0, 0},
  {255, 255, 0},
  {0, 255, 0},
  {0, 255, 255},
  {0, 0, 255},
  {255, 0, 255},
  {255, 255, 255}
};
int colorix = 0 ;
int timeix = 0 ;

// Draw ellipses out from the center, changing the color every
// 10 redraws. Innermost ellipse has alpha=255, alpha scales
// dow as bigger ellipses draw atop the smaller ones.
void draw() {
  int numcircles = colors.length ;
  ellipseMode(CENTER);  // default, X,Y gives center point
  for (int i = 0 ; i <numcircles>= 10) {
    colorix = (colorix+1) % numcircles ;
    timeix = 0;
  }
  stroke(0,0,0);
  fill(0,0,0);
  float [] fpair = polarToCartesian(.4, 0.0);
  int [] ipair = cartesianToPhysical(fpair[0], fpair[1]);
  pushMatrix();
  translate(ipair[0], ipair[1]);
  text("0 deg West",0,0);
  popMatrix();
  fpair = polarToCartesian(.4, PI/2.0);
  ipair = cartesianToPhysical(fpair[0], fpair[1]);
  pushMatrix();
  rotate(PI/2.0);
  text("CS 90 deg North",0,0);
  popMatrix();
  fpair = polarToCartesian(.4, PI);
  pushMatrix();
  rotate(PI);
  text("180 deg East",0,0);
  popMatrix();
  fpair = polarToCartesian(.4, 1.5 * PI);
  pushMatrix();
  rotate(PI * 1.5);
  text("270 deg South",0,0);
  popMatrix();
  fpair = polarToCartesian(.4, PI/4.0);
  pushMatrix();
  rotate(PI/4.0);
  text("RRS",0,0);
  popMatrix();
  fpair = polarToCartesian(.4, PI-PI/4.0);
  pushMatrix();
  rotate(PI-PI/4.0);
  text("LRS",0,0);
  popMatrix();
  fpair = polarToCartesian(.4, PI+PI/4.0);
  pushMatrix();
  rotate(PI+PI/4.0);
  text("LFS",0,0);
  popMatrix();
  fpair = polarToCartesian(.4, 0-PI/2.0+PI/4.0);
  pushMatrix();
  rotate(0-PI/2.0+PI/4.0);
  text("RFS",0,0);
  popMatrix();
}

/**
 *  cartesianToPhysical maps a location in the Cartesian coordinate
 *  space -1.0, -1.0 through 1.0, 1.0 to the physical space
 *  0, 0 through width-1, height-1. If either input coordinate
 *  lies outside of the -1.0..1.0 range, cartesianToPhysical returns
 *  a pair of coordinates -1, -1 that signify clipping; the calling
 *  code must test for this return value and not attempt to plot it.
**/
int [] cartesianToPhysical(float cartesianX, float cartesianY) {
  int [] result = new int[2];
  if (cartesianX <1> 1.0 || cartesianY <1> 1.0) {
    result[0] = result[1] = -1 ;
    return result ;
  }
  result[0] = (int)(Math.round(((cartesianX + 1.0) / 2.0) * width));
  if (result[0] == width) {
    result[0] = width - 1 ;
  }
  result[1] = height - (int)(Math.round(((cartesianY + 1.0) / 2.0) * height));
  // Physical requires Y == 0 to be at the top.
  if (result[1] == height) {
    result[1] = height - 1;
  }
  return result ;
}

/**
 *  physicalToCartesian maps a location in the physical display coordinate
 *  space 0, 0 through width-1, height-1 to the Cartesian space
 *  -1.0, -1.0 through 1.0, 1.0. If either input coordinate
 *  lies outside of the 0, 0 through width-1, height-1 range, cartesianToPhysical returns
 *  a pair of coordinates -2.0, -2.0 that signify clipping; the calling
 *  code must test for this return value and not attempt to plot it.
**/
float [] physicalToCartesian(int physX, int physY) {
  float [] result = new float[2];
  if (physX == width) {
    physX = width - 1 ;  // same as cartesian 1.0
  }
  if (physY == height) {
    physY = height - 1 ;  // same as cartesian 1.0
  }
  if (physX <0>= width || physY <0>= height) {
    result[0] = result[1] = -2.0 ;
    return result ;
  }
  result[0] = ((float)(physX) / (float) width * 2.0) - 1.0 ;
  result[1] = ((float)(physY) / (float) height * 2.0) - 1.0 ;
  return result ;
}

/**
 *  cartesianToPolar maps a location in the Cartesian coordinate
 *  space -1.0, -1.0 through 1.0, 1.0 to the unit circle centered
 *  at 0,0 with a radius of 1.0. The return value stores the
 *  polar radius in [0] and the angle in radians in [1].
 *  If either input coordinate
 *  lies outside of the -1.0..1.0 range, cartesianToPolar returns
 *  the corresponding results, and the calling code must check to
 *  determine whether the returned radius exceeds 1.0, requiring
 *  clipping.
**/
float [] cartesianToPolar(float cartesianX, float cartesianY) {
  float radius = (float) Math.sqrt(cartesianX * cartesianX + cartesianY * cartesianY);
  float angleInRadians = (float) Math.atan2(cartesianY, cartesianX);
  result[0] = radius ;
  result[1] = angleInRadians ;
  return result ;
}

/**
 *  cartesianToPolar maps a location in the polar coordinate unit
 *  circle 0.0, angle=0.0 upto 1.0, angle=2 * PI to the Cartesian
 *  coordinates cenetered at 0.0,0.0. The returned result, with
 *  Cartesian X in [0] and Y in [1], may lie outside the range
 *  of -1.0, -1.0 through 1.0, 1.0. The caller must verify that
 *  the return values are not outside the clipping boundary.
**/
float [] polarToCartesian(float radius, float angleInRadians) {
  result[0] = (float)(radius * Math.cos(angleInRadians));
  result[1] = (float)(radius * Math.sin(angleInRadians));
  return result ;
}

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.06.58 AM (2).png
 Description:
1920 X 1200 screenshot of the dome projector. It is your responsibility to clip to a centered circle. HDMI and SVGA both work OK at this resolution.
 Filesize:  255.68 KB
 Viewed:  841 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.06.58 AM (2).png

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.06.58 AM.png
 Description:
Here is what my Processing script shows for the 1920 X 1200 screenshot.
 Filesize:  3.89 MB
 Viewed:  857 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.06.58 AM.png

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are screenshots related to previous post for 1600 X 1000 and 1280 X 800 projector settings. SVGA sometimes has offset problems for 1600 X 1000, and always does for 1280 X 800, so plan to use HDMI if you plan to down-scale to either of these two resolutions.

This program does not scale the text point size to match the display. That accounts for the differing text offsets in these 3 screenshots of the dome (2 here, 1 above).

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.45.44 AM (2).png
 Description:
1600 X 1000 screenshot of the dome projector. It is your responsibility to clip to a centered circle. HDMI always works OK; SVGA sometimes offsets to the west.
 Filesize:  205.34 KB
 Viewed:  861 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.45.44 AM (2).png

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.45.44 AM.png
 Description:
Processing source window for the attached 1600 X 1000 dome plot.
 Filesize:  3.66 MB
 Viewed:  871 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.45.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.46.16 AM (2).png
 Description:
1280 X 800 screenshot of the dome projector. It is your responsibility to clip to a centered circle. HDMI always works OK; SVGA always offsets to the west.
 Filesize:  182.23 KB
 Viewed:  965 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.46.16 AM (2).png

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.46.16 AM.png
 Description:
Associated 1280 X 800 Processing source screen.
 Filesize:  3.68 MB
 Viewed:  860 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.46.16 AM.png

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: new flyer

Updated flyer, moved Twyndyllyngs to Sunday evening.
The schedule for visual artists is updated, too. Cool

Visitor info here, conventional map here, Grim Planetarium is bldg. 11 on that map, unload in B1 and park in B2 if possible. I have to find out if we are allowed to park in B1. B2 is not far.

EDIT May 26: Added Randy Brown to the Saturday schedule & flyer. Very Happy

KUCMVC2015poster4.jpg
 Description:
Final schedule, updated May 26. It's free, plan to arrive during a break.
 Filesize:  8.23 MB
 Viewed:  832 Time(s)

KUCMVC2015poster4.jpg

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am posting an example of my planned June 14 11 PM piece so that Glenn Robitaille can get an idea of what I will be playing in planning his accompaniment. This trial run was a little too long.

27May2015Practice.mp3
 Description:
KUCMVC 2015 Parson Practice session, copyright Dale E. Parson, 2015, licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License, see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/. You may copy & repost these recordings as long as you attribute y

Download
 Filename:  27May2015Practice.mp3
 Filesize:  29.69 MB
 Downloaded:  1012 Time(s)

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:
Subject description: no strobes, please

I have just had a reminder for anyone performing visuals: 1) no strobe lights (we have participants prone to seizures and/or severe visual migraines -- I am one of the latter), and 2) try to have a way to slow down motion that may not appear super fast on a conventional projection screen. If you have ever felt even a little motion sick in an IMAX theater, you understand. The dome size amplifies speed of motion. You run the risk of having a lot of people closing their eyes if things move too fast on the dome. Having a way to control speed is a good idea.
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:
Subject description: more diagrams

A lot of diagrams on this thread, no? Less than 2 weeks to go!

EDIT, FORGOT THIS: Michael O'Bannon wrote, "On the projector diagrams (electro-music forum), at what degree is the workspace for the VJ's?" I replied as follows.
I don't know whether the VJs will use the podium at the north, or whether I will set up a table nearby. I will configure tables for both options. In any event you will be somewhere near that north side of the circular wall, with eyes somewhere between 4' and 6' above the floor, depending on sitting versus standing. We have high stools at the podium, although I think lower is a little better. Clearly, the only way to see everything would be to be in the center of the room, lying on your back, except then the central podium would block the view. For sitting or standing, the edge is better. The VJs will be near the north wall, and the musicians will typically be near the center. For my 11 PM Sunday set in which I will do both visuals & music, I will be in VJ position.
The projector is not 8 ' high. 6' is approximate -- I haven't measured it, but I have reached out to remove the lens cap often enough. It is adjusted so that the height of its rectangular display just covers the dome N-to-S with 1200 pixels; the bottom of the computer display is south; width overshoots the dome unless you clip to a circle with a radius = display height. The podium under the projector is somewhere between 4' and 5' across. Again, I haven't measured it, but I was curled up inside of it the other week, looking for the HDMI jack. It was pretty cramped in there.

EDIT 2: Updated mixer diagrams after testing & debugging.

GrimDimsBytes.jpg
 Description:
the room
 Filesize:  160.66 KB
 Viewed:  804 Time(s)

GrimDimsBytes.jpg

1642VLZ3_Cnxns.png
 Description:
the mixer cabling to speakers
 Filesize:  1.73 MB
 Viewed:  838 Time(s)

1642VLZ3_Cnxns.png

1642VLZ3_ConfigAll.png
 Description:
the mixer, front side
 Filesize:  739.69 KB
 Viewed:  938 Time(s)

1642VLZ3_ConfigAll.png

Last edited by Acoustic Interloper on Sun May 31, 2015 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:
Subject description: last flyer?

Glenn will be performing with me at 11 PM Sunday. Updated flyer.

KUCMVC2015poster4.jpg
 Description:
updated flyer May 31, 2015
 Filesize:  8.24 MB
 Viewed:  774 Time(s)

KUCMVC2015poster4.jpg

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dale, thanks so much for hosting this excellent, and hopefully FIRST annual event, at the Kutztown University Grim Planetarium.

Robin and I thoroughly enjoyed all the great music, video presentations and all the people. Thanks to all the video artists who worked hard and performed throughout the event and of course all the wonderful performances!

Robin and I LOVE the electro-music family !!

See many of you at Electro-Music 2015

Bill & Robin
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill,

You and Robin are most welcome here any time. I was very happy to see you both at the event. Thanks for your extremely valuable help working through the sonic popcorn and amp shutdown issues that, happily, affected only a couple of sets.

I am also glad that you got to be part of the Zero Input Mixer collaboration, which for me was one of the weekend's high points. Someone was playing call-and-response with me from across the room during ZIM. I strongly suspect it was you. Cool I don't know how much of the dome you could see during that set, but from my side of the room the sonic visualizer played by Emily Hoch made it look like we were shooting fireworks onto the dome.

My plan is to post photos on FB within the next week, with a link from here, and to post recordings here after getting artist permissions. The recordings will probably take me most of the summer to complete.

See you in Huguenot! Take care.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Someone was playing call-and-response with me from across the room during ZIM. I strongly suspect it was you.

LOL, ahhh yes, it was me indeed. Was funny that our extreme sonic impulses required the services of Phil to man the power switch of the power amplifier in efforts to keep the music going !! Very Happy

Quote:
I don't know how much of the dome you could see during that set, but from my side of the room the sonic visualizer played by Emily Hoch made it look like we were shooting fireworks onto the dome.

I did manage to sneak a peek and it was pretty cool Cool Emily did a great job ! salut

Bill
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Quote:
Someone was playing call-and-response with me from across the room during ZIM. I strongly suspect it was you.

LOL, ahhh yes, it was me indeed. Was funny that our extreme sonic impulses required the services of Phil to man the power switch of the power amplifier in efforts to keep the music going !! Very Happy

Do you have any recommendations on what I should do about that, or about improvements to the sound system in general? I am taking suggestions, because there may be grant money available near the end of the year.

I knew it was you! I started varying my timing, just to be certain it was call-and-response. I said to Emily, "I bet that's Bill." Cool

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: photos

I posted some Day 1 photos of the event here,
and some Day 2 photos of the event here.

I recorded the whole thing. My plan is to post recordings in this thread throughout the summer as I get to them, after getting artist permissions.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations on what I should do about that, or about improvements to the sound system in general?

Dale, the use of the consumer grade multichannel AV receiver was probably the weakest link in the audio chain. As time passed I, and I believe yourself and Phil, became convinced that the amplifier was entering shutdown possibly due to heat build up but more probably because of levels greater than what the amplifier could sustain. With that being said, we will need Phil to assist in providing the specifications for the passive speakers that we need to drive in terms of their power & impedance ratings. From there, I recommend suitably rated class "D" amplifiers to drive these speakers. Class D amplifiers are light weight, withstand "Pro" audio levels, very efficient, and run cooler than other amplifier topologies. A good amplifier example would be the CROWN XLS series. Only two (2) channel units for Front L/R and Rear L/R and one more mono amplifier for the Center Channel. A 200 - 300 watt powered SUB can be used in place of the passive unit mitigating the necessity for another outboard amplifier. Most amplifiers have built in signal limiting also thus no external units are required.

Other things to consider:

Cable Tester with Signal Injector (Behringer makes one for $29.00)
Spare 10 to 20 foot TRS Cables
Spare light source for "Digitarium" projector
Spare FOH mixer with EQ/DSP FX

These are a couple suggestions for improving the sound system

Bill
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Bill. I'll get with Phill on getting the speaker specs before electro-music 2016, and we can continue the discussion. The head of our grants office stopped me Monday when I passed his office after getting the planetarium back to normal (including testing the speakers -- no audible damage to them or other components that I can hear), and told me to make sure to apply for a research grant late this fall, because there are some extra funds this year. I will have to write a research proposal, and assuming it has something to do with multi-player collaborations, I may just have to do one of these events again.

While we are reviewing, let me know what you think of the high color saturation of the linked color photos, relative to how colors appeared to eyeballs at the event. Do you think it's because of CCD color sensitivity, or exposure time relative to eyeball time, or something else? There has been some discussion of that since I posted the photos.

Have fun with your other hobby this weekend! Very Happy

smokris

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:
how colors appeared to eyeballs at the event

The existing projector is color-disc DLP, right? (I remember seeing rainbows as I flicked my eyes across the room.) Over time the gels in the spinning color disc may fade (from saturated to transparent), resulting in lower saturation, so one relatively-inexpensive option might be to check the color disc and replace it if it's out-of-spec.

Another option would be to replace that projector with a 3-chip / non-color-disc projector. In my experience those tend to produce more vivid colors.

Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: