electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Living VCOs
Page 21 of 21 [520 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21

Would you prefer one PCB with 3 VCOs a la JH-5A, or 1 VCO per PCB with more features
One PCB with Oscillator Driver and 3 VCO cores (like JH-5A - cheap!)
60%
 60%  [ 62 ]
1 PCB = 1 VCO (with many waveforms and inputs)
39%
 39%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 103

saint gillis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanx for your precious help! Although the result seems very satisfying I m sure it can be tweaked again by really qualified people, I ll tell you if I see collateral damages using syncro Smile
saint gillis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!
Just to tell that I m using it very often and it really works very well! Very Happy
bennethos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: waveshaper Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

I would like to include some other waveshapes besides the default Pulse & saw.

Which one would you guys consider ?

thx
saint gillis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello! I've not tried myself to add waveforms, but maybe you can find some great infos on Bill & Will's page, if you haven't seen it before..
http://www.dragonflyalley.com/constructionJHLivingVCO.htm
The Peasant

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a schematic for adding triangle and sine outputs on page 12 of this thread and a stripboard layout for that on page 17.

Take care,
Doug

www.electronicpeasant.com
The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I added that circuit (thanks Peasant!) and it works really well, couldn't imagine the VCO's without the other waves!
MarcMooga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I am also about to finish the great sounding Living VCOs and I would like to add that Hard Sync feature.

My knowledge level is limited, but I am trying to improve day by day.
Here is my drawing... it would be great if anybody can confirm:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Thank you! Smile

regards,
Marc
saint gillis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Marc!
I don't have an original PCB made by the great Jurgen himself so I can't check myself if everything is correct, but it looks like there is a mistake where I ve put a red cross :

This part of the additional circuit should be connected on R20 resistor as you can see here (not on IC3's pin2) :

oldenjon

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any news about the availability of PCBs for this project? I'm very eager to build one.
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope, the existing PCB's can't be sold due to legal issues that are still unsolved.
=> http://electro-music.com/forum/post-369475.html#369475
Luka

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there is a veroboard layout for it here

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-56066.html

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
bIG joB heAd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,
i bought a filled PCB of a living VCO a few days ago.
I did the modifications to power it in +/-12V and it works like a charm and now i'd like to add the waveshapers but i'm a little confused about a few things.
As i understand, the waveshapers have an amp stage for each waveform so i can plug the outputs jacks directly there and use the spare amps on the driver section to amplify the pulse out.
Do i need to change some resistor values to adapt the waveshapers to 12V?
Thanks for any help Wink
Flavien
evengravy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: schematic error? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The schematic shows R40 trimmer referenced to +vb (+15v) and -vb (-15v) but the reference designator clearly has it referenced to GND and not -vb

can someone with more knowledge than I help? I'd like to build it on stipboard but the layout is also referenced to -vb and I cant be sure it's correct

R40 GND.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.32 KB
 Viewed:  1168 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

R40 GND.jpg

sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the actual pcb, those connections are to ground, not -v
evengravy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot for clearing that up, think I've got it cracked now can't wait to try it out!
oldenjon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know if keeping the values of all resistors at 1% tolerance is critical in this circuit? Aside from the matched resistors of course.
saint gillis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't think so...
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built a 5U version of the Living VCOs circuit many years ago when JH first started selling the boards. I had never noticed this before but I am getting what I guess I'd call drift in the 3 oscillators. I remember this circuit being pretty stable, but now when I tune all 3 together with no detune on any of them, within seconds or a minute at most, they are each noticeably sharp or flat from each other. Not so out of tune that I couldn't play it, it's a nice an analog beating sound, but it's not what I'm tuning it for in this instance. Not looking for super stability but this is clearly not right.

I built it to his spec and used tempcos with thermal paste. It was particularly hot today, but I've had my modular on for 2-3 days and it's been a pretty consistent temperature all day. Could it be the verniers? I've noticed when I tune it using a strobe tuner that it seems almost a tiny bit sluggish at times to catch up with where I've tuned to. For example, if I'm trying to slightly bump it sharp because it's showing to be somewhat flat, it looks to me as though it gets to be just about in tune but then jumps a bit sharp. However even if I leave those alone and try to fine tune with the detune knob on each, it still ends up drifting. This isn't a scaling issue - I'm doing this to a single droning note I'm just trying to get all 3 VCOs tuned to in unison and I'm watching and hearing them drift out of tune rather quickly.

Any thoughts appreciated or suggestions much appreciated, thanks!
saint gillis

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, the imageshack pics have disappeared, I think this was the synchro circuit : Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
cleaninglady

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in need of a little help with a Living VCO's build.

I made a standalone box using 3 of the Logicgate 2014 Barcode edition 1.3 Core PCB's and one of the Logicgate / Thomas Henry 2014 V1.1 Driver PCB's. I think these pcbs were original meant for a Euro build, which I'm not interested in. I need a standalone, easily transportable performance box
I'm finding it very difficult to find any pictures of the bare PCB's as I forgot to match resistors.

Also, I'm finding it impossible to find any calibration specifically for this set of PCB's. I know that some of the function will relate to the original calibration instructions but I'm wondering if anyone has built with these PCB's.

IMG_5166.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.55 MB
 Viewed:  676 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_5166.JPG

Page 21 of 21 [520 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: