electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Old ADSR schematic questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Spivkurl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:  Old ADSR schematic questions
Subject description: Help needed
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all!

This is the first thread I have started here. I hope this is the correct forum section to post this, as there is no general DIY section that I found, just related to specific designers. I have been building modules and stand alone synths for quite a few years now. I would normally be asking this on the sdiy mailing list, but am having trouble getting access even though I've been receiving the posts for more than a decade.

I am hoping that someone here can help clarify some elements of this ADSR envelope generator design...

http://yusynth.net/archives/ElectronicDesign/O-Gabor-ADSR-1980.pdf

I am pretty clear on most elements of this design, as there is a decent explanation on the page I linked to. However there are some things left out of the text.

The parts I am most concerned about are P5, Q2, and Q3. They are not explained in the text at all. If anyone can explain to me what P5 should be doing, it would be helpful.

I have a breadboard version of this set up currently, only using more available transistors (have tried 2N3904/06 and BC548/558). Having some trouble with the sustain phase... the sustain will not adjust voltage using P3. Was thinking it had something to do with my confusion over the unexplained parts I mentioned. Also, there seems to be a tendency for P5 to fry.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat (Spivkurl)
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Old ADSR schematic questions
Subject description: Help needed
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spivkurl wrote:
Hello all!

welcome

Quote:
[...]as there is no general DIY section that I found [...]

Can imagine, there are many forums .. moved it to the general section for you, as I think that is what you meant to do.

Spivkurl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for moving the thread. I sometimes have difficulty adjusting to the different forum setups. Appreciate it!
gdavis

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

P5 looks to me like it would be a trim pot used to set the peak output to the 8V mentioned in the text.

Edit again: I guess Q2 and Q3 are a darlington pair, just a different configuration that I'm not familiar with (wiki says it's a Sziklai pair). Still buffers the output.

electrotech

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I agree with the above.

Spivkurl, I don't see how P5 can 'fry' unless you've used the wrong value - it should be 50k.
Are you using a standard 7401 ?
'LS types won't work in this circuit due to the output current requirements.
Also, the supply voltage for the 7401 should be 5V (This isn't shown on the diagram)

Regards,
Andy

Additonal info: OOPS !
Yes, as Jan has noted below, a lot of current will flow if P5 is turned towards the top of it's travel which will cause burn-ups.
I need to study circuits more before posting - sorry.

Last edited by electrotech on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

P5 would be a trimmer, yes, and should not be set too high up ... as that would cause a lot of current to run through Q3 P5 Q1 - could fry transistors too then. you could add a safety resistor above P5 of maybe 1K or so to limit the max current a bit.

The transistors should not be too critical.

Spivkurl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you all for the responses. The note about the supply voltage for the TTL chip is interesting, and explains why the input is referenced to 5V. I guess I'm just trying to learn sequential logic a bit. I have a resistor tied to P5 to limit current, and have still had some problems with magic smoke. I got some feedback about the transistor pair buffer on another forum, and that was what I suspected. It still seems strange that the trimmer to set the 8V for Q1 would be connected to the output buffer... I may need to adjust my thinking and the potentiometer heh. All of the help is valuable, and I will try to keep coming back with results.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

P5 sets the trip point ... when the voltage at the wiper goes over about .6V it make Q1 conduct, which will reset the RS FLIP-FLOP which then in turn will discharge the 2 µF capacitor, causing the output voltage to drop again (so effectively limiting the maximum output voltage to be obtained).
Spivkurl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah blue hell that makes perfect sense. All of the responses I've gotten here and on another forum have expanded my understanding of the function of different areas of the circuit. Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: