electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
TTSH rev.2 Build Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
ultravox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work LED-man!

My TTSH arrived yesterday but the box and panel was really bent. I was able to straighten it out but it was very unsportsmanlike for the postal service to treat a package like this.

14394_img_2202_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.6 KB
 Viewed:  380 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

14394_img_2202_1.jpg

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cry

You're being awfully charitable in your statements there ultravox....

I'm surprised that the PCB survived that (I assume it must have or you'd have said??)
LED-man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Circuit Bending ?

I'm sorry to see this.
i wonder that you have signed by the post for this damaged package.
what say jon ?
Altitude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mine arrived today and had some corner damage as well. That box has inadequate corner protection. You have to assume with that shape and size, it's going to get dropped on the corner a lot..
ultravox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

>>Circuit Bending<< I had to laugh at that one!! Very Happy

The PCB was fine, believe it or not. It was curved inside the box but as soon as I pulled it out it whipped back into shape on its own. No damage to it that I can tell, unless it's internal. I'll send Jon a quick note with the photo just so he's aware.

I wasn't home during delivery or I would have given them what for! It was at the front door when I pulled up in my car and I could immediately see something was wrong. I don't think Jon could have prevented this because it's a long trip from Sweden to my house in the USA, and there's no telling where in it's journey it encountered a postal worker going postal! Razz
elmegil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm starting to think these should ship sandwiched between two pieces of 3/4" plywood Wink
Altitude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So what is the consensus on going to polystyrene caps for the 680 pF on the VCO boards? They are not rare
LED-man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Altitude wrote:
So what is the consensus on going to polystyrene caps for the 680 pF on the VCO boards? They are not rare

Polysteren/Styroflex and polypropylen and Glimmer/silvermica works fine.
LED-man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tolex case front view.. studiocaseversion.
Portableversion should be finished with tolex in 2weeks.

IMG_7779.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.99 KB
 Viewed:  357 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_7779.JPG

sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks great! How deep is it? I have a guy who really wants one of these.
LED-man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:
That looks great! How deep is it? I have a guy who really wants one of these.

Bottom depth between 17 or 25cm.. or what you need.
its your choice because the cases are build to order.
LED-man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have updated the first post - i´ll try to sync this with my muffwiggler posting
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-129294.html#1771327
cleaninglady

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So , no power distro on the Rev 2 PCB's ? Saves a lot of cable worries.
vladstorm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

>LED-man
Sorry, if I'm writing to the wrong thread.
I just wanted to know are any kits lift for selling? or if not, where can I order one? because on the main website there's no any information or contact.
LED-man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

its not planned yet to offer in next 2months further kits.
a further run is definitiv without pcbs/panels.
i have to speak with Jon about his plannings and avaibility of pcbs/panels in 2015 and come back to this thread here with more Informationen abkut a groupbuy.
vladstorm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so, you think it could be available in 2 months... or later this year... ?
i actually don't know much about DIY synths. I have a moog modular clone system from Mos-Lab and i soldered a couple of small synths... and this sounds like a big project .. but tbh I always wanted to have ARP2600... so it sounds really cool.
I probably gotta buy better soldering iron, maybe a soldering iron for SMDs, hm...
My second question is where to get the parts. like components? There was a list of parts i need and I already saw there was mentioned the pack with rare parts but what about other parts, are there stores where people usually ordering them?
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi vladstorm, welcome to the madness Smile

I would suggest that this is not a good choice for a first time project. It's not *terribly* complicated, mostly large, however, there are a lot of details to address, and a lot of soldering to do which could be troublesome if you haven't done it before.

That said, if you insist on starting here Smile most of us in the US have bought parts from Mouser (Jon provides a mouser BOM on his website), except for the rare parts, which people either source as a bundle from Thonk (in europe/UK) or Synthcube (in the US). Synthcube is also offering a full parts kit which includes those rare parts.
vladstorm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

> elmegil

yea.... i hoped its easier)
i have a degree in physics, electronics and computer science but i dont have much practice. i soldered some stuff together but still don't know how circuits work) anyways, i dont see any problem in putting the elements on the board...

i don't know just where to get the elements and the kit of course)
this us/euro stuff is also not cool. I ordered some parts, electronics from the US recently and it's not fun. with tax, post and now dollar/euro rate change (which changed about 30% and i actually can't afford some stuff from the US anymore). for the same reason btw, i'd order maybe a kit from synthbox

http://synthcube.com/cart/forums.html?route=product/product&path=74_65&product_id=584

but with tax+shipping and now rate it will cost quite a lot ... i'd rather just buy a built synth then.. i saw 1 on ebay for 2210euro - which is less already.

I know, many guys here are interested in building and not just in having the synth. but i just more would like to have it and solder also interesting. coz i'd love to learn more how everything works.

so, about parts, there's no such store like Mouser in europe? or then maybe ill have to search for component replacements and i have to know more about it? or usually you not replacing the components from the list... hm
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think Farnell is the mouser equivalent in Europe, and I'm sure there are others, I'm just not as familiar with that side of the Atlantic.

There is also a thread over on muffwiggler.com/forum talking about people willing to do TTSH builds for others, you might check that out if pre-built is something you'd consider.
vladstorm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

> elmegil
thank you. ill check it out.
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the Website of LED-Man there's also a parts list for Mouser... and as far as i know you can also order from mouser in Germany... would say they have a Dependance in Munich if i remember correctly...

an other alternate would be reichelt... most common stuff is available there, for not really cheap but reasonable and almost fair Prices...

for rare and obsolete components there are some sellers at ebay or other small Webstores...

pots and knobs i ordered the lat time from asia via ebay... very low Prices but also less quality of the pots... a small percentage of them is crap...
better Quality for pots would be tubetown.de but Prices do start at 80 Cent or so

but at least i would second Elmegil... The Arp Clone isn't the real beginners Project i think...

p.s. when you order from overseas via ebay or so, so always be Aware that the upper Limit for tax free shipping is 22Euro... when i order pots from asia which are mostly inclusive shipping costs then i jsut palce a few smaller orders so i didn't reach that Limit... when it's also a lot of postage with each order then it becomes a bit difficult... Laughing Rolling Eyes

flickyducky101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys new to forum ! powered up ttsh earlier..(Did all testing via Human comparator site.. No problems there ..Everything seemed perfect , i even calibrated most of it and trimmed all waveforms)

Anyways the speaker are extremely low ( i had to put ear very close to notice they were even on ) Can someone suggest what may be causing this? Amplifier section perhaps not functioning properly?

I'm building on behalf on a friend so dont have much knowledge of synths ..
Whilst powered up ,i dont need to patch any module to produce a sound right?
It can be used standalone by adjusting the sliders?

Sorry for my lack of understanding on synths on a synth thread Smile
By the way i havent wired up spring reverb .. still working off pcb .. front panel not connected yet either
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, 2 months and no responses. I'd suggest signing up at muffwiggler.com and looking at the various TTSH threads in the Music Tech DIY section there, you'll get a speedy response there.

So, is your TTSH a ver 1 or a ver 2? If it's a version 1, if you've wired up the speakers but not the headphone jack you'll have the symptoms you describe. Put jumpers on the connections that go to the headphones if you don't want to wire them up yet. Otherwise, not really enough information to give any practical advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: