electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jürgen Haible (Krautrock, LVCOs, Tau, new: SOST, vintage)
Page 1 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Jürgen Haible (Krautrock, LVCOs, Tau, new: SOST, vintage)
Subject description: Jürgen Haible
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update 27 May 2015: As the first design to be re-released by Random*Source, the Haible Krautrock Phaser / "Schulze Compact Clone" pcb is now available again: http://jhaible.com Very Happy

===============================================

I’d like to inform you that I’ve managed to acquire the electronic heritage of Jürgen Haible - designs, IP etc. - and plan to make his incredible designs available again soon.

Jürgen Haible’s tragic death in 2011 led to a complicated legal situation in which his amazing designs fell into a kind of abeyance. I have spent months negotiating with the lawyers appointed by the German authorities as legal guardians to handle the estate, trying to find a way out of this limbo, and finally managed to conclude an agreement (the proceeds of which go entirely to the estate, i.e. to his children).

So the period of uncertainty is over and work begins - the plan is to make the designs available again step by step. Unfortunately, the actual Eagle files seem to be lost and have to be recaptured / redrawn, so this will take time. This is quite a lot of work (any volunteers are highly welcome!), so at this point, I can’t say what design will be available when or in what format. Yet, the first step - ending that unsatisfactory situation - is done.

Ralf (nordlead)

Last edited by rc_hoffmann on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:23 am; edited 4 times in total
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well done

Good on yer for being persistent and getting it done Smile
synthcube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great news
we are happy for the community

we've acquired MFOS to help carry on Ray Wilson's work: www.musicfromouterspace.com
norman phay

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great news! Please remember to post updates here as well as FB and the other place!
patricef

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice ! I'd be interested in building a Dim D with 2 PCB. Let me know what you possibly have on Eagle, otherwise I could redo some schematic.
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Jürgen Haible (soon!)

rc_hoffmann wrote:
I’d like to inform you that I’ve managed to acquire the electronic heritage of Jürgen Haible - designs, IP etc.

What's with the big pile of PCBs?
elmegil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He said over on facebook that the big pile has evaporated.

Me, I'd expect that someone responsible for all the stuff didn't want to store them, didn't realize their value (or didn't care about value to a bunch of geeks Smile ) and dumped them.
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry if I'm missing this somewhere but could someone point me to the Facebook page that's been mentioned a couple times here?

Thanks.
elmegil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

https://www.facebook.com/randomsource?ref=br_tf
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/randomsource?ref=br_tf

Cheers for that.
rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Again thanks for the feedback!

Apart from the question whether the original files can be retrieved somehow (I'm looking into that) is the 15V vs 12V issue - if someone has ventured into tweaking modules like the Tau Phaser or the Son of Storm it would be extremely helpful (so far I'm only aware of the LVCO successfully adjusted to 12V). help

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

try sending Harry_W a PM , he may still be around and may know of their whereabouts.

as good an answer as any
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diablojoy wrote:
try sending Harry_W a PM , he may still be around and may know of their whereabouts.

Good tip, did that now.
rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diablojoy wrote:
Quote:

thanks, I already did (a few days ago)

norman phay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rc_hoffmann wrote:
Again thanks for the feedback!

Apart from the question whether the original files can be retrieved somehow (I'm looking into that) is the 15V vs 12V issue - if someone has ventured into tweaking modules like the Tau Phaser or the Son of Storm it would be extremely helpful (so far I'm only aware of the LVCO successfully adjusted to 12V). help

Probably worth going through the threads for each of the PCBs to see if there's any info in there on power. The transient VCA I seem to recall had a euro connector on it as well as the MOTM/dotcom connectors, I think there is some complexity with running the tau from anything other than 15v, but don't take my word for it! this is just from memory, check the threads. The krautrock phaser and triple chorus don't make a lot of sense as modules to me in any case, unless someone is building a standalone effect rack.
norman phay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I did a bit of checking. The trapezoid will work on 12v:

http://www.jhaible.com/trapezoid/trapezoid.html

The living VCO seemingly can be modified in a straightforward manner - some resistor value substitutions - to work on 12V, as explained on page 19 of the e-m thread on it:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-30749-450.html

I trawled thru the other threads but couldn't find anything mentioning 12v power. That doesn't mean there isn't anything there, mind! But I couldn't find it.
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the schematics i have on my PC the Wave Multiplier and PM-Resonator are also powered from +/-15V...
kesek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello

If you need volonteers then you can count me in. I managed to build for myself few J Haible projects. I can't afford original boards so I build my own. I used single layer boards - it easier for me to do them by thermal transfer method.

But please note, that there are errors in schematics. In most cases error is only on schematic, not on pcb sold by J. Haible. For example polarisation of "down" LED on Tau Pipe is wrong on schematic, on PCB is ok. It's not so simple to just redraw schematic, make pcb and sell them.
JustALittleSolderBoy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Jürgen Haible (soon!)

rc_hoffmann wrote:

So the period of uncertainty is over and work begins - the plan is to make the designs available again step by step. Unfortunately, the actual Eagle files seem to be lost and have to be recaptured / redrawn, so this will take time. This is quite a lot of work (any volunteers are highly welcome!), so at this point, I can’t say what design will be available when or in what format. Yet, the first step - ending that unsatisfactory situation - is done.

Ralf (nordlead)

Hi Ralf, hi folks!

allthough I am not a man, who is doing many postings on the WWW - I am of that kind who prefers to stay in the back row in the bus - I have to break my rule now. At first may I introduce my self:

Well, a long time reader - first time poster. I am quite a newbie to DIY electronics, who is more focused on guitar effects. My efforts in this were quite fruitfull as I managed to get a lot of DIY circuits and clones to work - some with my own made layouts and many mods. And nope - not only Fetzer valves, Tonebenders, Fuzz Faces and such, but more complex ones too.

Second - why I have to post now:

1. Congrats Ralf, congrats folks, congrats world! J.H.'s - der Herrgott hab' Dich wirklich seelig - treasure chest is opening again. And what a gift it is!

2. This goes to Ralf: PLEASE, PLEASE, while exploring this chest keep an eye open for any stuff and info about Juergens' EMS Hifli clone!

When I've found the service manual of the EMS Hifli on the WWW, I couldnt resist and had to start my own clone of that gem in early spring 2012. It'll be a BIG stripboard monster and lots of mods too (my pcb etching abilities and tools are limited to smaller board sizes unfortunately).
I've put much efforts in my soundfeak and done a lot of work allready, but the manual is of such a bad quality. So there are still some questions to be answered. Looking for help and a master to ask, I stumbled over the shocking news in this board, that Juergen has passed away - only a few weeks before...

So Ralf - are You willing to share any info about Juergens Hifli clone, please? It will help me a lot for sure and will be much appreciated. Though not a knowledged man in electronics I am willing to support You whenever I can, too.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JustALittleSolderBoy, welcome to electro-music.com, at least to the "front row", for a minute. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your comments, guys! Been absent, working on the Tau the last few days.

kesek, I only read your post now, discovered exactly what you say re the Tau and assumed the pcb to be correct (and the schematics wrong). Great to have that confirmed. If you're aware of any other errors (in any design), please let me know - best is by email (rc at randomsource dot net).

JustALittleSolderBoy thanks for you kind words, will have a look re the Hifli, didn't really have that on the radar, but I would not want to interfere with EMS (and it looks there's even a licenced re-issue available today).

jackson dancing Thanks to John Harding, who did a great job, the Krautrock Phaser is probably the first one to reappear - test boards have been ordered Smile

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

The Tau Pipe is also almost there, too - what's your preference regarding the transistor pairs in the filter cells (I currently favor THAT300, not quite sure if DIP or SOIC) and especially the CA3046 (DIP) in the control circuit? Alternatively a all CA3046 in SOIC version could make sense ...

JustALittleSolderBoy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rc_hoffmann wrote:

JustALittleSolderBoy thanks for you kind words, will have a look re the Hifli, didn't really have that on the radar, but I would not want to interfere with EMS (and it looks there's even a licenced re-issue available today).

Hi Ralf,

Digitana (www.synthi.co.uk) "is making" reissues of the Hi-Fli, but Mr. Wood of EMS must be involved somehow. I think they've licensed the use of brands or even layouts of boards and design. According to archives.org Digitana seemed to have made progress in cloning it in the period 2008-2011. But I have no idea whether it is an exact 1:1 copy of the original Hi-Fli, as never I have seen any gutshots of the Digitana ones. Anyway - eventual old patent rights for the Hi-Fli must be history now due to the time past, but there might be still some copyrights on drawings, enclosure designs, board layouts, brands, etc.

My own layout has come quite far and the info I seek is about some small parts of the schematic only, so I don't need any ready-to-solder-layouts or such, nor am I interested in doing any copies for somebody else nor making a profit in cash nor publishing copyrighted stuff in my own name or using brands, layouts, etc.

By EMS or Digitana published material would help me a lot, but high-res gutshots of both sides of boards or handmade drawings, remarks, notes and soon by others will so too. If Juergen Haible made his own pcb layout, own drawings of the schematic, notes or such, then it all belonges to You now.

By the way - Digitana's production process must be VERY slow. In the past years orders were put on a very long list and now no new orders are taken.

So I cannot see how builing my own version of the Hi-Fli (and even with some different parts and mods) will interfere with EMS or Digitana's business or rights.

In case You don't like to present Juergen's material here, will it be okay for You if I may contact You via Your website randomsource?

All the best!

JustALittleSolderBoy
Audiohub

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow!
This is great news!
I've just finished the Tau recently (bought a couple of boards a number of years ago and finally got around to finishing them) and am VERY interested in the Krautrock Phaser.
In reading through the threads here about it, I'm wondering about the current availability of the LDRs and bulbs. I live in the US, which seems to make procurement even harder.
Is there any good news on finding these parts, especially stateside?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Audiohub to electro-music.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Audiohub wrote:
Wow!
This is great news!
I've just finished the Tau recently (bought a couple of boards a number of years ago and finally got around to finishing them) and am VERY interested in the Krautrock Phaser.
In reading through the threads here about it, I'm wondering about the current availability of the LDRs and bulbs. I live in the US, which seems to make procurement even harder.
Is there any good news on finding these parts, especially stateside?

Thanks for your feedback!

I've received the Krautrock test boards and hope to be able to report the first working builds soon.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

(You may notice the new STAGE selector on the Krautrock pcb ...)

Re parts, over here in Germany the very parts that Jürgen specified in his BOM are still available Very Happy I'm not sure about the situation in the US, though, but Thonk in UK might come to rescue and offer some kits including those parts that may be hard to find outside Europe.

BTW, TAU test pcbs are in production ...

Page 1 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: