electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
custom proto-board for CMOS
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
okelk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: custom proto-board for CMOS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not 100% sure if this is the right place, but since I want this for my lunetta-projects, I though I ask here...

Since manufactured PCBs are not a luxury anymore (under 1$ per piece for 5x5cm boards) I thought It would be pretty nice to have a custom prototyping-board for cmos chips. Cool

I made a layout for such a board:
It fits on 5x5cm (the cheapest size in most boardhouses),
It is somewhat similar to a solderless breadboard
it has 4 mounting holes for m3 screws
Vss and Vdd connections are prewired for 16 pin CMOS chips, but 14 pin CMOS or something like a dual opamp will fit too...
I will add a silkscreen on the component side to make it clear which points are connected.

What do you think?
Would you find such a board to be handy?
What would you add/ make differently?

(keep in mind that this a picture of the bottom layer... so it's the wrong way around...)

Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 02.25.19.png
 Description:
custom proto-board for CMOS
 Filesize:  44.19 KB
 Viewed:  373 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 02.25.19.png

commathe

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really like it! It looks like it would be very easy to use. I'd make the horizontal row that connects to V+ also square though to stop confusion.
hexagon5un

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks good!

I'd take it to the next level and start thinking about connectivity with other boards of the same design.

Maybe add a "power port" or something where you've got one pad for ground and one for VCC right next to each other on the edge of the board, just so that it's easy to hook up.

Maybe a 4-pin header with a signal in / signal out plus power? I know you want to keep this board generic, so maybe that's not a good idea.

How do you hook up potentiometers? Other common off-board circuit elements that you use? LEDs?

But don't overthink it either. It looks great, and I'd get a run of them made first, and then play around with it and see what's right to change.

With prototypes like this, I've always gotta get the circuits in hand and build some stuff with 'em to see what works and what doesn't.
okelk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hexagon5un wrote:
Looks good!

I'd take it to the next level and start thinking about connectivity with other boards of the same design.

Maybe add a "power port" or something where you've got one pad for ground and one for VCC right next to each other on the edge of the board, just so that it's easy to hook up.

Maybe a 4-pin header with a signal in / signal out plus power? I know you want to keep this board generic, so maybe that's not a good idea.

How do you hook up potentiometers? Other common off-board circuit elements that you use? LEDs?

But don't overthink it either. It looks great, and I'd get a run of them made first, and then play around with it and see what's right to change.

With prototypes like this, I've always gotta get the circuits in hand and build some stuff with 'em to see what works and what doesn't.

All good Ideas!
but yeah...I guess I'll have a few made and then see what I need...
I also think that adding more specialized options would be a better fit for a a bit bigger board (5x10 or even 10x10).
Maybe it would also be handy to panelize 2 boards on to 1 board with drill holes.
They could share the power lines and be separated or used together as needed...

this it what it would look like with added silkscreen layer:
(Of course I'd be happy to share the gerbers or DipTrace files if anybody is interested...)

Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 15.20.41.png
 Description:
Logic-chip-proto-board_silkscreen
 Filesize:  74.17 KB
 Viewed:  373 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 15.20.41.png

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice layout. I would personally not make those (horizontal) connections for the powerpins of the IC's fixed,
which would make it a bit more universal but for CMOS it does makes sense. (although CD4049/4050 uses pins 1 and 8 )
I'd also connect both power rails from top to bottom, so the 'squares' aswell.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
okelk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
nice layout. I would personally not make those (horizontal) connections for the powerpins of the IC's fixed,
which would make it a bit more universal but for CMOS it does makes sense. (although CD4049/4050 uses pins 1 and 8 )
I'd also connect both power rails from top to bottom, so the 'squares' aswell.

Thanks.
Yeah...I'm not sure about connecting the power-pins too...
Also because it would be a nice board for a quad opamp too (even without a third power rail)...
...on the other hand I could just order 10 with fixed power connections and 10 without.
I think I will follow your suggestion of 'connecting the squares'.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: