electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2015 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 6 [136 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
J3RK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a little Frac system I'm working on right now.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Much too much too many beautiful things here!
I was really pissed off last saturday so i built this (a krach orkester… ähm noise ensemble). Guerrilla style.

KrachOrk.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.33 KB
 Viewed:  15693 Time(s)

KrachOrk.png

cbfishes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: So much great stuff! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, so much great stuff here. I'm so glad I stumbled upon electro-music in my quest to build stuff that makes noises!

I'm a total newbie to all this, but thanks to these forums and other internet sources I've managed to build a sort of modular. The stuff you all share has been invaluable for helping me make sense of those crazy schematics and stuff.

Some of the modules are totally passive (like the vactrol low pass gate), all are very simple (basic 40106, 555, and op amp-based oscillators). Next step is to build a dual supply so I can finally build a resonant low pass filter (in my mind, that's what I'm missing). Case and panels built with my very minimal woodworking skills and pallets; many components liberated from other items, thrift store toys, even parts of a TV I found in the woods. Patches made with alligator clips, screws, and nuts. Powered off a 5V wall wart. Most of the circuits come from various folks on these forums like synthmonger, Thomas Henry, et al.

Not pictured: I'm using a Raspberry Pi running wiringPi and Mido to listen for MIDI input and scale the 1-127 to 1-100 PWM on the GPIO pins (using a python script). Then I take that through a simple 1-pole low pass filter to get a fairly smooth voltage, which in turn modulates stuff, plays oscillators, etc.

Not the fanciest but it sure does make some noise!

Here's a video of some sounds from a few weeks ago (more modules since then): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR4bPaf7Dwo

Here are some pics:

11133784_10102980035177532_1210597977507295004_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.71 KB
 Viewed:  410 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

11133784_10102980035177532_1210597977507295004_n.jpg

18915_10102981779501892_742440579134798115_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.41 KB
 Viewed:  420 Time(s)

18915_10102981779501892_742440579134798115_n.jpg

Music/fishing/adventures blog CB Fishes

music.chrisbeckstrom.com

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always like personalized DIY panels so I really like how that synth looks. And nice to see you're reusing some old stuff.
For a filter you could use the one from Eric Archer which works on a single supply, and sounds quite good. However the
pdf is no longer available, but I have it so just send me a pm if you're interested.
it's been moved and now here
Of course you do want a dual supply anyway. It will make some things easier, and give you more circuits to choose from Wink

I will watch the video later.

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cbfishes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoa, awesome! Hadn't seen that one yet. To be honest that schematic is pretty intimidating to me– before I tackle something like that I guess I better get a bigger breadboard (mine is the size of an altoids tin). I'm sure it's simple to most folks on here, but I'm just getting started... Gotta work up to using more than 10 components in one circuit!

Probably off topic, but in that schematic what is the "0V"? I get "+9V" and "GND," but not sure "0V."

I've breadboarded various active filters with a LM324 and never have I even been able to get a sound. Probably wiring something wrong every time. Ima keep at it!

Glad you like the panels! Your stuff is very inspirational!

Music/fishing/adventures blog CB Fishes

music.chrisbeckstrom.com

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy thanks

yeah I can understand it's a bit intimidating but a lot of filters will have a similar setup and once you're
able to see it as the individual blocks it's made of it's get's easier to understand. I'll send you a pm with
some more details.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Just Dave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

umschmitt wrote:
Much too much too many beautiful things here!
I was really pissed off last saturday so i built this (a krach orkester… ähm noise ensemble). Guerrilla style.

That's really pretty. Do you have any sound samples?
umschmitt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just Dave wrote:
That's really pretty. Do you have any sound samples?

Thanks!
As for soundclips, i'm afraid not yet (who knows, i might even get banned from this forum for posting clips of me… playing banjo through it). Soundwise it's more carpet bombing than guerrilla: at minimum delay setting you get a velcro style fuzz, with a bit more of it a nasty slapback, and then further a kind of chorusey thingie and at the end just absurd delayed squelches - all of it square-wavish and all-or-nothingy. Purty brutal.
Anyway should be able to find some info on the webz. Design (not mine) is by an Anchovie up there on DIYstompboxes.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

umschmitt wrote:
who knows, i might even get banned from this forum for posting clips of me… playing banjo through it.

anybody who has problem with banjo has probably not listened to Dale Parson Cool
here is a nice example (hmm we should have one with a banjo)

OT: the most recent thing I put together is the NANDulator (special easter edition). more info here

NANDulator - 04.jpg
 Description:
NANDulator
 Filesize:  49.75 KB
 Viewed:  361 Time(s)

NANDulator - 04.jpg

umschmitt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boah! This NANDulator thing is awesome! (i mean not just the enclosure…) Great sound possibilities despite the simple design. And i suspect further developments.
Anyway. i'm an instant fan and i think we have here the subject for our next DIY electronic workshop! (i guess it'd be ok?)
::::::::::::::
Back on topic, what can i say except: anybody who has listened to me could probably have all of a sudden a problem with banjo…

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

umschmitt wrote:
Anyway. i'm an instant fan and i think we have here the subject for our next DIY electronic workshop! (i guess it'd be ok?)

of course, feel free to use it in any way you want to, that's why I share the circuits.

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone else afflicted with a permanent internal voice saying, "This could be better..." ?

I decided to re-layout the EFM 3046VCO for SMD parts, and with a more Mutable inspired thing, where the only parts visible once done are trimmers and the power connector on the back. Fairly limited as VCO's go (the Square output is anemic, still haven't got around to figuring out why, and it doesn't go very high in frequency), but satisfying nonetheless Smile

I think I've hit my 40W pencil iron's limitations -- the tip was nearly too rounded for the LM3046 IC, and the 47uF caps barely got soldered at all.
isak

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:

Anyone else afflicted with a permanent internal voice saying, "This could be better..." ?

I decided to re-layout the EFM 3046VCO for SMD parts, and with a more Mutable inspired thing, where the only parts visible once done are trimmers and the power connector on the back. Fairly limited as VCO's go (the Square output is anemic, still haven't got around to figuring out why, and it doesn't go very high in frequency), but satisfying nonetheless Smile

I think I've hit my 40W pencil iron's limitations -- the tip was nearly too rounded for the LM3046 IC, and the 47uF caps barely got soldered at all.

Nice build my friend.
Maybe the next post will help you on the square sound:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-47625.html

umschmitt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NANDulator!

nadulexquise.jpg
 Description:
ghettobling!
 Filesize:  111.13 KB
 Viewed:  14672 Time(s)

nadulexquise.jpg

AlanP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wasn't sure where to put this. Well, Dad and I spent four or five hours building it, so it's a build Wink

Anyway, big news -- new case time!

Two sets of 2x126hp rails from Elby Designs, power stuff from RS and OSHpark, and formica-covered wood pinched from Dad's workshop (he got it from the skip of a kitchen design place.)

Power arrangements. I seriously need to tidy up the AC wires there. The terminal blocks are so I can add another power board hanging off the same transformer later on (there is a set of drill holes for another PSU board at the top of the case. I also need to order some flying busboards.

So chuffed right now! It looks the money, too!
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work Smile
vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2 x Buchla 258 , Serge bottom section waveshaper , CV Twister ,all in 42HP eurorack

IMG_20150429_152522.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.16 MB
 Viewed:  188 Time(s)

IMG_20150429_152522.jpg

loydb

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My recently-built Zebrawood 168hp 15U case.

MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice case Smile
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that wood looks awesome, very nice look altogether Smile good luck with filling that, will be a load of fun!
AlanP

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorted!

This is what it looks like with the front panel off. Hugely fun, this oscillator -- the Timbre and Colour knobs do different things, depending on what waveform you have selected, plus it can decrease the bits, or the sampling rate (96kHz down to stupidly low) and all kinds of fun!

This is what it looked like in it's natural habitat. (Yes, I still have to bolt most of that in -- I've got a busboard on the way and am not hugely bothering until I have things finalized.) The FFB was from when I was playing with the "NOIS" setting.

Actually, at one point, I thought I heard ticking... and my heart SANK and went "oh, shiiiiit..."

luckily, I had just left a clock signal plugged into the 'TRIG' input, and it was doing what it was designed to. I think.
comrade_zero

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@vladosh-- that is a great looking panel!
AlanP

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ian Fritz' Jerkster circuit -- a 3rd order autonomous chaos circuit. (No, I'm not completely sure what that means, either!) But it makes cool patterns and noises. The resistors on the pot backs are because I didn't have the right values on hand, so added them to reduce the pot resistance to what the circuit needs.

YUSYNTH Clock Divider. Three separate dividers, each going from divide by 1 to divide by 8. If you just plug an input into #1, then #2 daisychains off it (and #3, in turn, daisychains off #2. There is no input for #3 -- it's the Reset jack.) Very nice lightshow, and I'm sure I'll get good use out of it Very Happy
nicolas3141

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Touch sensitive sound generator with 9 contact plates.

nicolas-woollaston-small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.29 KB
 Viewed:  173 Time(s)

nicolas-woollaston-small.jpg

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nicolas3141 wrote:
Touch sensitive sound generator with 9 contact plates.

Looks lovely and intriguing!

.:James:.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 6 [136 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: