electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Good Ideas?
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
freshnelly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:  Good Ideas?
Subject description: This is the Show-In-A-Box project, anyone inspired?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apart from the obvious (yes I designed a synth over winter, but a really tiny one for a portable all-in-one box) here's the Show-In-A-Box pages.

http://www.freshnelly.com/showinabox.htm

And the mySynth II page (with samples)

http://www.freshnelly.com/showbox-mysynth.htm

Of special interest I *must* mention the FV-1. It is an amazing Reverb+FX chip designed by the the founder of Alesis. It being incorporated into the design. Just slide down the page a bit

http://www.freshnelly.com/showbox-fx.htm

I hope someone finds this info useful,
Cheers!
Sandrine
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That MySynthII is bloody tiny!
freshnelly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, that's the idea, it has to fit in a box with 50 other boards.
freshnelly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now the guys over at MuffWiggler have me all inspired into making a Live Sampler/Looper Module! Oh the original "Tiny" module (not panel) is at

http://www.freshnelly.com/showbox-sampler.htm

guess I didn't post that. One key feature that I don't know if is in other samplers (bloody expensive them!) is CV recording. It'll record multiple CV sequences, adjustments, whatever, and loop them on cue, in tempo

Looking forward to the project
CreatorLes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it looka cool! i like the techie / nontechie colored text so you can read overview or details or both. it's a lot of information all at once, but that can be a good thing for the right audience. I could see a future version about another synth having a one sentence description next to each figure and if you click on it then it takes you to the details.

As to the synth itself, I love the concept of a synth in a box. If i wasn't on another project i'd help. do you need any 3d printing done?

Les
freshnelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes it is complicated, it's sorta my journal of sanity. Things have to be somewhat organized to be online...somewhat!
Maybe some day I'll get that. everyone is bugging me about it Rolling Eyes

ANyway, was on holidays. I may need a 3-D print of a panel design (modular) for the sampler thingy. I've been nudged into attempting a CV /trig based sampler/looper in euro form factor. I was thinking about 3-D printing a snap-over aluminum frame with inset lettering to be filled with paint.

Ever done that type of thing?

I have 3-D design experience but not for printers lol
CreatorLes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, aluminum is now available but it is expensive, think $10/cm^3. You'll basicaly get plastic although some exotic filaments are available that print with a small amount of powdered metal and you can polish them up with dremel tool and such to reveal the metal, looks pretty good actually.

But mainly you're looking at plastic in a variety of colors. I can print panels up to 6 inches square maximum but really 5.5 and that's a stretch. My other printer is larger but it's broken at the moment. You can design easily for 3D printing. Just remember that the printer prints in layers from the print bed up, so you can have parts that dangle into air or hang down, only up and and at an angle of 45 degrees or smaller (sometimes more is OK).

One thing to realize with a 3D printed panel is that detail is almost free, so you should try to fill the panel with al manner of thematic sculptures and whatnot, possibly angling connectors and knobs or whatever you can get away with.

Post your designs here in .stl format and I'll try to make time to print them for you. If not, i will refer you to a 3D printing service in your area.

Les
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: