electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jürgen Haible (Krautrock, LVCOs, Tau, new: SOST, vintage)
Page 2 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Audiohub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The new board looks very nice and the stage selector is a great idea.
I'm still trying to source the rarer parts here in the states, including those nice E10 PC mount sockets shown in your photo.
Looking for ward to the new board....good luck!
Audiohub

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any word on how the Krautrock Phaser boards are coming along?
I think I've found reasonable sources for the LDR's, bulbs and bulb sockets, so the board is next.
rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Audiohub wrote:
Any word on how the Krautrock Phaser boards are coming along?
I think I've found reasonable sources for the LDR's, bulbs and bulb sockets, so the board is next.

Krautrock boards are in production Smile

Re the LDR's, bulbs and bulb sockets, please keep us updated how this works out, sourcing in Europe is not a problem, but the question keeps popping up for the US and other parts of the world.

TAU pipe test boards are here, i'm waiting for the first building results ...

Also, been spending a lot of time on the layout of the LVCOs, looks like using THAT300 or alternatively BCM847 matched transistors (both in SMT) I can squeeze 2 waveshapers (SINE and TRIANGLE), a SYNC IN plus 2 AMP sections onto each VCO section (2" x 4.1", total board will be 8" x 4.1"). The idea is to have the boards produced with those SMT chips already (reflow) soldered in ...

rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haible Krautrock Phaser pcbs have arrived Very Happy and will be available in a couple of days through Thonk and randomsource:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Details to follow shortly ...

Audiohub

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The new board looks great!
Looking forward to it.
Guess I better start searching my bench stock for properly vintage 741s... Laughing
I'll post later on my experiences in getting the harder to find parts in the US.

rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Haible Krautrock Phaser / "Schulze Compact Clone" pcb is now available again: Very Happy

http://randomsource.net/haible/krautrock

Krautrock pcbs and also kits with the parts that may be harder to find outside of Europe are available from Thonk in UK (http://www.thonk.co.uk/)

The Tau Pipe will follow soon ...

rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, haven't posted an update in a while ...

Things have been moving forward in the meantime - test boards for the TAU, 5-Pole Filter / Phaser / LFO and the LVCOs have arrived Very Happy

LVCO board features TRI and SINE out (thanks to Ray Wilson and Thomas Henry! thumb up ) + SYNC (on each VCO) plus Haible VCA / Distortion and mixer on the driver board. VCOs are THAT300 based.

Variable Slope supports BF245A or their SMT equivalent (BF545A) - looking into ways to have the BF545A already (reflow) soldered in ...

sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The MOTM header holes looks somewhat unusual. Any reason there are more holes there?
rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sonicwarrior wrote:
The MOTM header holes looks somewhat unusual. Any reason there are more holes there?

Yes, that's a great idea fonik had - allows to alternatively use a Euro power header.

sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure? Because the MOTM header has a different spacing (0,156" vs. 0.1").
rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sonicwarrior wrote:
Sure? Because the MOTM header has a different spacing (0,156" vs. 0.1").

That's why it works Wink The idea is to provide maximum versatility (for 3U, 4U, 5U) without taking up precious real estate.

sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, I didn't see the holes for Eurorack have a narrower spacing. Embarassed
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jürgen Haible (Krautrock available again! => sneak peek)
Subject description: Jürgen Haible
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rc_hoffmann wrote:
Update 27 May 2015: As the first design to be re-released by Random*Source, the Haible Krautrock Phaser / "Schulze Compact Clone" pcb is now available again: http://jhaible.com Very Happy

Ralf (nordlead)

Hi Ralf,
I have the original JH. Krautrock Phaser "compact clone"
I'm interested to understand what is your optional mod: connector for Resonance pot (in addition to Res trimpot). I can add this connection on my phaser?
Where I can found the schematics of your project?

thank you in advance for your kindly reply.

rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jürgen Haible (Krautrock available again! => sneak peek)

Lorenzo wrote:
rc_hoffmann wrote:
Update 27 May 2015: As the first design to be re-released by Random*Source, the Haible Krautrock Phaser / "Schulze Compact Clone" pcb is now available again: http://jhaible.com Very Happy

Ralf (nordlead)

Hi Ralf,
I have the original JH. Krautrock Phaser "compact clone"
I'm interested to understand what is your optional mod: connector for Resonance pot (in addition to Res trimpot). I can add this connection on my phaser?
Where I can found the schematics of your project?

thank you in advance for your kindly reply.

Hey Lorenzo,

I wouldn't really call this a mod - the additional footprint simply gives the freedom to use either a trimpot or a pot (or both) to control the resonance. The pot footprint is basically an alternative to the trimpot, so resonance could be adjusted via front panel. If you use both it's two variable resistors in series, i.e. the trimpot will control / shift the range that the panel pot covers. You could also hand wire this on your board, it's just not as comfortable.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jürgen Haible (Krautrock available again! => sneak peek)

rc_hoffmann wrote:

Thank you!
... another question.
I do not understand what is R21 RANGE trimpot? It seems to me this does not affect the sound...

thank you.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Jürgen Haible (Krautrock available again! => sneak peek)

rc_hoffmann wrote:
the additional footprint simply gives the freedom to use either a trimpot or a pot (or both) to control the resonance. The pot footprint is basically an alternative to the trimpot, so resonance could be adjusted via front panel. If you use both it's two variable resistors in series, i.e. the trimpot will control / shift the range that the panel pot covers.

Maybe it would be interesting to do the same thing with LOW/LIM trimpot (R18) so it would be possible to adjust via front panel the depth offset (the minimum intensity of the lamps). So, in this way the depth does not sweep from the maximum to zero, but instead the peak remains the same and the effect drops to a low/lim that I chose from the panel.
I will try!

rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A first batch of the Living VCOs is now in production too much coffee

I made a quick demo of the SYNC IN using the prototype:
https://soundcloud.com/random-source/jhaible-living-vcos-2015-sync-demo

and also of the Haible VCA / INVERTER / DISTORTION module now included on the driver section of the LVCOs:
https://soundcloud.com/random-source/haible-living-vcos-2015-vcadistortion-demo

On the LVCOs board I added support for BCM847DS matched transistors (on the bottom side) as an alternative to the THAT300 chips.
Depending on interest, I'm contemplating to offer the boards with the BCM847DS and the SMT bypass caps (23! IIRC) already professionally (reflow) soldered in. Please let me know what you think! help

Can that board be used for Euro? Looks like it should be possible - I designed a front panel and component pcb (8" x 4.2") that would allow for a very shallow sandwich-style module (<40mm depth):

Question here: Should I drop the switch, normalize the Master CV to the 1V/Oct input and add a FINE tune pot? (precision pots / vernier dials seem to be impossible as they would require huge cutouts on the component pcb).

Also, the first batch of the Tau Pipe Phaser is in production. I also managed to add SMT footprints to use (20!) BCM847DS as matched transistors for the 20 poles - as an alternative to the 10 THAT300 DIP ICs. With respect to the chip situation regarding the obsolete CA3086 / CA3046 I decided to use an LM3046 in SMT. Again, I might be able to get them already soldered in to save you the sourcing troubles.

Looks like the Haible 6-pole filter/LFO is also ready to go in production.

I've shipped out a couple of Son of Storm Tide Flanger proto boards (where I made the stupid mistake of forgetting the SMT bypass caps underneath:smt073) to test builders and hope to get feedback soon. So if everything goes well, the SOST could also become available shortly.[img][/img]

prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my experience of using my home-built Living VCO, with vernier pots, I'd say you definitely need fine tune: the whole point of the module is to have three VCOs exactly in tune, and then use the linear detune function to detune them slightly to fatten up the sound. You could lose the detune pot from one of the VCOs - there isn't any need to be able to detune all three, unless you're detuning them with respect to a fourth VCO (which probably won't track the same anyway).

If you need to free up panel space for three fine tune pots, you could also lose the track switch and the V/Oct input for that VCO too - have it permanently wired to the master v/Oct. And personally I've not found the master tune to be much used.

Peter
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Along those lines why not simply make the master driver go to the switch of the individual V/Oct inputs? Yes, that means you have to use dummy plugs to "turn off" the tracking, but it would save the panel space for a physical switch....
rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Along those lines why not simply make the master driver go to the switch of the individual V/Oct inputs? Yes, that means you have to use dummy plugs to "turn off" the tracking, but it would save the panel space for a physical switch....

This is what I meant by saying dropping the switch and normalizing (normalling?) the Master-CV to the 1V/Oct jack and you're right, it would require a dummy plug to break the link... Looks like that's the way Dave Brown built his version: http://modularsynthesis.com/jhaible/lvcos/jhlvcos.htm

Will probably update the draft to have coarse and fine for each pot... (not 100% sure yet about losing the switch ... )

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry man, I was not processing all the text. Yes, I think that's a sensible thing to do Smile
rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your suggestions, here's an updated layout for the Euro version:

And the corresponding component pcb:

As you can see, space is quite tight behind the panel (especially with respect to the connectors), don't think precision pots would fit - the cutout required would make routing impossible. However, this fine tune approach is much more budget friendly. Would love to hear what you think!

rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(double post)

Last edited by rc_hoffmann on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
rc_hoffmann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

quite a lot has happened in the meantime:

Following the Krautrock, the Tau Pipe, Living VCOs and - brand new - the Son of Storm Tide Flanger (SOST) are now back as R*S versions.

The SOST is now available with LM3046 and bypass caps in SMT reflow soldered in - also (as an option) with a pair of the obsolete TDA1022s and AA143 germanium diodes:

For the Living VCOs, front panels and component pcbs in Euro format have also arrived and will be available very soon.

Last not least, I'm happy to inform you that a number of pcbs from Jürgen Haible's original stock could be retrieved and are now available for sale.
Please note that this is "new old stock" ("NOS") - the boards are a couple of years old (but they are mostly still in foil appear to be in normal condition considering their age).
These are not Random*Source re-issues, but original ("vintage") stock from Jürgen's production runs - they are offered as they are, without any reps or warranties or support.

(... my son insisted on the Board Watch guy!)

roglok

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

amazeballs!

banana

so... is an updated version of the frequency shifter in the pipeline or would NOS be the way to go?
Page 2 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: