electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
Captain Collider - Collidoscope
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope
Subject description: album premiere: Friday August 14th
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Captain Collider - Collidoscope
wave

I finally finished this album which I started on about 5 years ago. At that time there was the 24/7 live event
(7 days of live streaming 24 hours a day!), during which many people participated but it was Blue Hell, jfox and me
that kept the stream going in between for most of the time. We were pretty much working in shifts like 3 captains
on a (space)ship during which I took on the alias Captain Collider. At that time the gear I had was very limited
compared to what I build since, so to make it a bit more interesting I started downloading free samples and loops
from the internet which I played using mixere.

After the event was over I had a small collection and there where some combinations of samples/loops I tried
that I wanted to work into some tracks. I remembered using ACID Xpress years ago so that's what I worked with
but it was a bit limited so later on I switched to ACID music studio. The first track I made was 'Cherokee', which
was called 'The Lost Indian' at the time. I renamed it later after I had several tracks starting with the letter C
and decided to do that with all tracks. It was actually the first track I made completely on a PC apart from a
Beastie Boys remix I did years before (which is how I knew about ACID Xpress).

The second track was Collision Course and if I remember correctly the third was Captains Log, but I extended that
one later on. I think these first three tracks where played by DrSteve on his Organized Sound show although maybe
not in their final form. Captain's Log (reprise) is actually an earlier verion of Captain's Log before I changed it into
what the final track became. After that I started collecting more samples/loops and some of the tracks I made got
released right away under the name PHOBoS, but because I had the idea to do a full Captain Collider album I saved
some for that.

At first it was just a collection of tracks but after a while I started to notice that there was actually a bit of a theme,
so a couple of tracks where made with that in mind and it's also what decided the order of the tracks to some
degree. The theme is loosely evolution/life/creation/revolution etc. starting with a 'big bang' and ending with,..
well, I don't want to give too much away. Also because I got more experienced with making music over the years the
tracks themselves evolved a bit in complexity, but the order of the tracks on the album is not the same as the order in
which they were made. The cover art is sort of a visual representation of the album made with images instead of sounds.

I hope you enjoy this album and would advice you to listen to it from start to finish in the correct order at least once,
also some headphones or good stereo setup is adviced.

Before I upload the tracks the album will be premiered on the electro-music.com radio stream but I haven't set a date yet,
so watch this thread for an announcement. I will also upload high quality versions to archive.org (maybe even burn some
physical CD's if there is any interest in those)

Album premiere: Friday the 14th of august on radio.electro-music.com, unless anything else comes up. Razz

Captain Collider - Collidoscope (Front).jpg
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope Album Art [front]
 Filesize:  3.21 MB
 Viewed:  687 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Captain Collider - Collidoscope (Front).jpg

Captain Collider - Collidoscope (Back).jpg
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope Album Art [back - slim case]
 Filesize:  3.32 MB
 Viewed:  681 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope (Back).jpg

Captain Collider Logo.png
 Description:
Captain Collider Logo
 Filesize:  123.85 KB
 Viewed:  673 Time(s)

Captain Collider Logo.png

Captain Collider - Collidoscope (Back 2).jpg
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope Album Art [back - jewel case]
 Filesize:  3.86 MB
 Viewed:  662 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope (Back 2).jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:18 pm; edited 12 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interest is peaked! I will be interested in a physical CD if you decide to make them, at cost or no cost. Smile
Lucy

Audio files: 94

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got a few questions:

1.) Is this your first album?

2.) Who did the mastering and what gear or plugins got used?

3.) Why all titles start with a "C"?

4.) What kind of music is it?

Normaly I know that you do very experimental voltage like glitch stuff if you cann call it even like that.

I will not listen to this today because I´m still without no sleep since yesterday. I was the complete night up and made music. Passion goes over physical needs. You probably know what I´m talking about.

I new to feel fresh and get first a good sleep to be in the right mind for your stuff so I will wait till friday which is tomorrow.

So friday I will listen to your album for the first time. I did till now not listen even to one second of it. I need time and the right mind for your stuff.

The cover art is very nice, really enjoying the cover art, so by looking at the cover images, it looks like some ambient is coming. Maybe with some glitchy voltage like beats? Not sure. Who knows.

The cover art looks on the other side like some goa or trance is coming with a touch of ambient and complex effects.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Interest is peaked! I will be interested in a physical CD if you decide to make them, at cost or no cost. Smile

flower If I do decide to make some physical CD's there would indeed be some costs involved to get the covers and probably
the CD's professionaly printed (+ shipping). It shouldn't be very expensive though and I'm not interested in making any profit.
I wish I could give them away freely but that's just not something I can afford. Rolling Eyes

I can try printing it myself (in case you're the only one interested) to see how that turns out. I actually did buy 2 label kits
many years ago with labels and covers, but it's for an inktjet printer and it didn't work with a laser printer (which I have).
however my parents have an inktjet so I might give that a try to see how it turns out.

Last edited by PHOBoS on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Omega Wood wrote:
I got a few questions:

oh another one of those interview thingies Laughing

Quote:
1.) Is this your first album?

It's the first album released by Captain Collider, actually it's the first time anything is released to the public by CC, besides some
tracks that I send DrSteve to play on his show and 2 tracks I put on a special compilation CD for Dave (Skrog_Productions).
There are some albums by PHOBoS (you can find links here) but those are mostly just long improv sessions that I cut into bitesize
pieces. So yeah I would say this is the first real album, it's not professionaly released on a label or anything though.

Quote:
2.) Who did the mastering and what gear or plugins got used?

All tracks are made using only ACID music studio. Since I'm used to mixing music as a DJ it's a somewhat similar method
except that instead of tracks I use samples and loops. The quality of those ranges from low quality mp3's to high quality
wavs, but I'm not really trying to make some seriously good sounding music it's more of a fun project so that doesn't matter.
Not that I just threw some stuff together, I did put some effort in it Cool
fun fact: there's one track that uses 145 different samples/loops

After I finally finished all the tracks I was pretty happy with it, but I did notice that a lot of tracks where lacking a
bit in the high frequency range (I often have that), so I wanted to try if I could do anything about that. Since I don't
use a DAW or any plugins my initial idea was to see what I could do with Audacity but the equalizer function is one
of those graphic ones where you can make as many bands as you like (well maybe there is some limit) at any frequency
you want. Which is a bit more freedom than I can handle Shocked and the biggest problem is that it doesn't work realtime,
although you can preview a section but that's still not very practical.

So I looked around a bit and found AAMS (Auto Audio Mastering System) and decided to give that a try. It has a lot
of options and you can do all kinds of manual things but I wasn't planning on spending a couple more years to figure
all that stuff out now. So I gave the basic automated setting a shot and that worked out better than expected.
Fuller low end more high frequencies and a much louder sound overall which makes sense since it uses compression
which I've never used before. Some tracks had some frequencies that got boosted too much and got a bit painful in the
midrange or just too much in the low end so I just turned those down in the original mix and remastered untill I was
satisfied. Might be a bit of a lazy method but hey I'm no pro and still have to learn an awful lot. Also I don't have any high
quality headphones or speakers so I hope it sounds ok for other people Rolling Eyes

Quote:
3.) Why all titles start with a "C"?

That's just a fun thing. I already had the name Captain Colider (CC) and the album name Collidoscope and after having
a couple of tracks starting with a "C", which wasn't on purpose, I decided to make every track title start with it.

Quote:
4.) What kind of music is it? Normaly I know that you do very experimental voltage like glitch stuff if you cann call it even like that.

That's a tough one, there is some variation in styles although a couple of them might be somewhat dance oriented.
I used to listen to artists like The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Fatboy Slim etc. so there are some influences from that,
but I'm not trying to copy anything or make a specific style. You could listen to Z3ta Fx (feat. Dr Steve) which was made
with ACID aswell, that might give you a bit of an idea or maybe Dr Lobotomy's Mansion of Doom.
I guess you just have to listen to it and tell me what it is Wink

Quote:
I will not listen to this today because I´m still without no sleep since yesterday. I was the complete night up and made music. Passion goes over physical needs. You probably know what I´m talking about.

I new to feel fresh and get first a good sleep to be in the right mind for your stuff so I will wait till friday which is tomorrow.

So friday I will listen to your album for the first time. I did till now not listen even to one second of it. I need time and the right mind for your stuff.

yeah I know what you mean, but you can't listen to it anyway since it's not released yet Wink

Quote:
The cover art is very nice, really enjoying the cover art, so by looking at the cover images, it looks like some ambient is coming. Maybe with some glitchy voltage like beats? Not sure. Who knows.

The cover art looks on the other side like some goa or trance is coming with a touch of ambient and complex effects.

Thanks! I spend a lot of time putting that together. Everything you see represents sounds that I used to make the tracks,
so there are a lot of animal sounds in it. (did you see the elephant ?)

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

party! party time! party!
Exclamation ALBUM PREMIERE TONIGHT AT 22:00 GMT

PHOBoS or the Captain might spin some tunes before it starts
so keep an eye on the schedule or join the chat.

don't forget to wear sunscreen and a helmet, skinny dipping in
the ocean at your own risk and please don't feed the animals!

- Captain Collider

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Captain Collider - Collidoscope @ archive.org
Subject description: free download

Exclamation Collidoscope is now availble for download at archive.org Razz
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Captain Collider - Collidoscope
Subject description: Track 1-5

Track 1-5

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 01. CERN (intro).mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 01. CERN (intro)

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 01. CERN (intro).mp3
 Filesize:  4.4 MB
 Downloaded:  1700 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 02. Carbon Life.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 02. Carbon Life

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 02. Carbon Life.mp3
 Filesize:  10.19 MB
 Downloaded:  1775 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 03. Cromagibbon.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 03. Cromagibbon

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 03. Cromagibbon.mp3
 Filesize:  9.05 MB
 Downloaded:  1758 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 04. Cherokee.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 04. Cherokee

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 04. Cherokee.mp3
 Filesize:  12.71 MB
 Downloaded:  1806 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 05. Circus Act 1.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 05. Circus Act 1

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 05. Circus Act 1.mp3
 Filesize:  3.22 MB
 Downloaded:  1715 Time(s)

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Captain Collider - Collidoscope
Subject description: Track 6-10

Track 6-10

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 06. Cross Country.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 06. Cross Country

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 06. Cross Country.mp3
 Filesize:  8.63 MB
 Downloaded:  1738 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 07. Crossroads.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 07. Crossroads

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 07. Crossroads.mp3
 Filesize:  3.14 MB
 Downloaded:  1764 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 08. Collision Course.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 08. Collision Course

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 08. Collision Course.mp3
 Filesize:  7.94 MB
 Downloaded:  1734 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 09. Captains Log.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 09. Captains Log

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 09. Captains Log.mp3
 Filesize:  14.27 MB
 Downloaded:  1785 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 10. Circus Act 2.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 10. Circus Act 2

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 10. Circus Act 2.mp3
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Downloaded:  1765 Time(s)

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Captain Collider - Collidoscope
Subject description: Track 11-15

Track 11-15

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 11. Conga Cougar.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 11. Conga Cougar

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 11. Conga Cougar.mp3
 Filesize:  9.58 MB
 Downloaded:  1795 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 12. Cosmic Cruiser.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 12. Cosmic Cruiser

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 12. Cosmic Cruiser.mp3
 Filesize:  15.94 MB
 Downloaded:  1752 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 13. Cha-Ching.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 13. Cha-Ching

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 13. Cha-Ching.mp3
 Filesize:  13.08 MB
 Downloaded:  1742 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 14. Captains Log (reprise).mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 14. Captains Log (reprise)

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 14. Captains Log (reprise).mp3
 Filesize:  8.27 MB
 Downloaded:  1735 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 15. Coconut Colada.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 15. Coconut Colada

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 15. Coconut Colada.mp3
 Filesize:  11.97 MB
 Downloaded:  1721 Time(s)

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Captain Collider - Collidoscope
Subject description: Track 16-17

Track 16-17

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 16. Circus Act 3.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 16. Circus Act 3

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 16. Circus Act 3.mp3
 Filesize:  1.91 MB
 Downloaded:  1796 Time(s)

Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 17. Collidoscope.mp3
 Description:
Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 17. Collidoscope

Download
 Filename:  Captain Collider - Collidoscope - 17. Collidoscope.mp3
 Filesize:  25.84 MB
 Downloaded:  1808 Time(s)

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Relistening to this now. It is an amazing album Pho!

Great for driving too I think. I will make a copy for the car.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much! Very Happy

Be careful though, Collidoscope might want to make you go faster and faster ending up on a Collision Course. pig
btw do you have a CD player in your car, I might be able to get you an official CD Wink

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it is an old fashioned typical bog standard no barrs held normal CD player. I'd be honoured to get a proper official disk! Count me in! Very Happy

I'll risk it. Wink

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great Very Happy

if you send me a pm with your address and other details you want to share I'll see what I can do.

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome album Phobos. Sorry I missed the official release, but I just listened to all the tracks. Some great stuff. I especially enjoyed Captain's Log and Cross Country.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jake! Razz
Those 2 tracks (and Collidoscope) are my favourites too.

Fenris

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello there

I've been Listening to this album for a couple of weeks now. It's terrific! I genuflect in your general direction Capitan! Very Happy

I love the album from start to finish. One track that stands out for me is Cherokee. I have a 'thing' for driving rhythms. But it's the mix therein!

'Ethnic' wind instruments, driving bass, something that sounds like an oboe, high pitch bongo's overlaid with an electronic swirl and ululations. A real trip of a piece to relax to.

Reading how the album came to be is equally as fascinating. 5 years! Well worth the time and effort. Some things just come in their own time.

The cover art is as complimentary as you could wish for as well!

More power to your elbow!!

Fen

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you soo much for the kind words Fenris! Razz
and I'm very glad to hear you enjoy the album.

Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: