electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Single Message Record and Playback Kit (from Maplin)
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
poets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Single Message Record and Playback Kit (from Maplin)
Subject description: DIY effects thing...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

This is my first post here, and I'm quite new to modular synths/effects and wondered if I could just bounce some ideas of you guys?

I bought one of these Single Message Record and Playback Kits http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/single-message-record-and-playback-kit-n57dc for a project that I ended up dropping. So, I have this idea of using it as a kind of effect or something that I can use in conjunction with my synth/drum machine. I know it'll probably be low fi but I'm not to bothered about that If I can get a working effect I'll be happy.

The idea I have is to maybe have it recording snippets of sound (possibly a radio or synth or something else) then have it play that audio back in time with my synth/drum, machine.

It also has a 'sample frequency' potentiometer and some other buttons and "external open-collector trigger inputs for recording, playback, delete,
next, and volume"...

I'm wondering if I could somehow use CV or gate (or something else) to trigger the buttons in time with my synth, and if it would be possible to modulate the 'sample frequency' potentiometer.

I have some components like 555/556 timers which could possibly be used to trigger buttons, and op amps and pots etc, but the main thing for me is to have an effect that's timed with my track.

I know I'm asking a lot but I have lots ideas and not a whole lot of experience with this kind of thing! Any help, pointers or reading suggestions are welcome.

Thanks[/left]
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome party!

maybe this can give you some inspiration: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-60851.html
Sadly that version doesn't have any way to control pitch/speed. I have made another one in the past which did have that
and I added an LFO to modulate pitch and speed, but I have no idea if I have any schematic of it, so I can't tell you how
I did it at the moment. It's actually not 100% finished, still needs to have the original mic added and some knobs. I was thinking
of doing that sometime soon and then I'll look if I have some more info about it somewhere.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS: That thing looks amazing. If mine does half the things yours does I'd be happy. I'd love to see a video of it working!

I suppose the best thing to do is to just build it and have a play with it. I've never added CV to anything so I'm unsure how to go about it. Is there anywhere you know of that I could learn about doing this?

Thanks
poets

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know of a simple way to get c.v. or gate to trigger a standard button?
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That depends on the circuit, same goes for adding CV. It's a velleman kit though so I might have the schematic somewhere.

oh, already found it here
switches are connections to GND so you could do it with a (NPN) transistor. Or what I usually do is use an optocoupler
(CNY17) which also has a transistor build in, but it will completely seperate it from the control circuit so you can't fry
the chip in case something goes wrong with the transistor.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poets

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I've been having a think about how to achieve this and I've had a few ideas on how to set it up...
I'm thinking of using a decade counter (4017) to set up an 8 step sequencer.
So the basic idea is to record a snippet of sound with the sound from an input source (a radio, a synth etc) with the sound recorder, and have the decade counter trigger that the play button for up to 8 steps, then on the 8th step record another snippet and play it again.
It's going to depend on how the sound recorder chip acts, i.e. whether I can record whilst it plays is my biggest question, and building the thing should answer that..

As for the electronic pressing of a button I am considering an npn transistor, wired to trigger the play button when it sees the signal from the decade timer...
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: