electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Does anyone has been able to fix an USB damaged board?
Page 3 of 4 [76 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fayette wrote:
this just happened to my g2... no more usb connection... went to my local clavia support store, but it doesn't sound like they are able to deal with it, something about the usb thing that's so small they were scared to deal with it... fuck, what do I do... the G2 is the center of my studio, everything I do evolves around it and I cant afford a new one... holy shit this sucks major ass

:'( AAAARGH

Ouch, I’m sorry to read that…

From what I’ve seen posted in the past about G2 USB connection failures, there appears to be at least two types of causes, one is an electrical failure of the USB IC on the G2 main board, and the second is that the solder joints on the main board where the USB jack is connected have failed due possibly to the repeated physical stress of plugging and unplugging the USB cable.

I would suggest that you first check the USB jack solder joints. They just may need to be reheated and/or have fresh solder applied. If that doesn’t fix the problem, then it just might be a failure of the USB IC on the G2 main board… which of course would require the replacement of that IC chip.

Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
what do I do... the G2 is the center of my studio

I wish you will be able to fix it ! But for now don't forget that you can use the "NMG2 Open Source Editor" to edit and load patch.

My USB socket is very loose too. I will fix an USB extension in the USB socket and plug/unplug the USB cable with the extension. Same as I do with the XLR mic input.
jaffasplaffa

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These guys can fix it:
http://www.synthesizerservice.de/

They gave me a price of 300€..... Still cheaper than a "new" used one.

EDIT: Just got my G2 engine back from service(broken USB). It was handled by Luthmann who handles Clavias service in Scandinavia. You have to go through a distributor, though. In Denmark that would be 4sound.dk. And they send it to Luthmann.

And I am REALLY happy about price. Only payed 120€! Invoice says usb circuit and usb controller has been changed Smile For that price i dont think it is even worth trying fixing it on your own.
noisevoid

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dude, i wish i would have seen this sooner, you could have done that repair yourself with a soldering iron and less than $10 in parts...

i had an old midi controller that someone tripped on the usb cable and ripped the usb connector off, and i just opened it and resoldered a new connector onto it, and it literally cost me less than $10 and an hours worth of time to do...

also, please post pictures of the g2 internals!
jaffasplaffa

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Smile

I did open the synth before I send it to Luthman and checked if it was something I would/could do. I dont feel comfortable soldering small things in general, so it was easier sending it off and have a proffesional fix it. And as from what I can read from the Invoice, they fixed something besides the USB in/out.

I will post picture next time I open it. Probably going to be a while.

Anyway, since I got it back, It has been problem free, so I think it is money well spend Smile
philthegreek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
At power on .. do the MIDI and USB lights go on momentarily?

Hi Blue Hell,

Do you know what the flashing MIDI and USB light mean when it is turned on?

Also, thanks for these GREAT threads, and thanks to everyone else for all the tips and info with which to proceed with fixing a G2 modular rack.

I'm still trying to ascertain if I do need to change chip (I have NO experience of this whatsoever, but willing to learn) or if I need to send it to the doctors..

The G2 was supposed to be the centre of an album project I'm starting in Jan, so I'm quite preoccupied with trying to get it fixed.

Philx
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They go both on here when I start the engine up and then off again after a couple of seconds. So that is a test I guess to see if the LEDs work.

Then when a connection with the editor is made the USB light goes on.

MIDI LED shows incoming MIDI after startup.

tendril ferris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi there,

i'm coming to this thread far too late, but i wanted to ask for links, etc.
i saw a number of threads about this topic in my searches, including information about diagnosing whether or not this is an OS related issue, or a hardware issue.

i'm still confused.
basically, my symptoms are that my usb connection is loose, and that i periodically get the "major error" and "lost contact; check usb cables" messages in the editor.
is this a hardware issue? software?
should i downgrade to the previous nord editor version?
should i look into options regarding how to fix the usb connector board?

please post links with help if you have them... i just tried to re-integrate my g2 into my studio and i plan on using it for gigs, etc. a bit freaked out. Shocked

i suppose it could be a software AND hardware problem? but that wouldn't normally be the case, and especially because my usb jack is so loose, i'd assume it was a hardware issue. is there a way to solder the jack in place again? if so, is there documentation anywhere out there for this sort of thing?

thanks a lot

tendril ferris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bump
tendril ferris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just wanted to follow up here (apologies for the mild cross-posting).
I ended up taking mine in to a local authorized repair shop and getting the usb chip replaced (apparently not the entire board). i've gotten the 'major error' message ~2 times since i've been testing it again, but it seemed related to having the performance mode active and pushing the cpu while patching. i read a bit about that in another thread somewhere... that this can cause the major error error. Smile

anyway; i'll keep testing and report back... it might be that i need to have the entire board replaced instead of just the chip; not sure. i hope not!
the tech re-soldered all of the pins so now my connection to the usb cable is way more sturdy and i've not once received the 'lost contact: check usb cables' error.

seanwayland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: repair failure Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For the record we attempted to repair my G2X using this method but ended up destroying the motherboard I think.
At this point the machine powers on into a frozen state with all the LEDs illuminated.
We used a 35 watts grounded soldering iron (Weller WP 35).
It wasn't too hard to get the chip off the board.
Even with a good magnifying glass it was very hard to see what was going on.
I think the soldering iron tip might have melted a couple of the pins together.
In retrospect I think that using a hot air rework station may have been a more appropriate tool for the job. I doubt that the chip can now be removed and a 3rd chip installed successfully. Perhaps its time to give away the G2X for good and live with soft synths.
Sad
voltage control

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Seanwayland. That is too bad about your G2X now, but I think there is a good chance that you can still fix that problem.One of the important tricks when soldering these small components is to use flux. Starting out, you solder-tag two corners of the IC onto the board while you make sure that the pins align well with the soldering pads on the board. Next apply flux abundantly to al the pins and run your soldering iron across the rows of pins while feeding solder. If the right amount of solder is applied, the flux will ensure that the solder will flow only to the points where the pins connect to the pads. If too much solder was applied, use (flux dipped)solder wick to suck up the excess amount. With the right amount of solder in place, the flux will provide automatic separation of solder between pins.
Watching YouTube videos on soldering techniques is good inspiration.
Good luck. Don't just give up your G2X!
seanwayland

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We followed your instructions to a T.
Its pretty obvious that a regular Weller iron is not the right tool for the job in retrospect.
Solder paste and a hot air pencil may not have destroyed the component and motherboard.
I am going to try a couple of qualified techs in the area and file an insurance claim
thanks for your help.
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, now it hit me, too. No connection between the G2 and editors on both Max and Windows. And the USB cable does indeed sit pretty wiggly in the G2.

I've read through this thread and I wonder if there's a best practice now. Am I correct that it could be two things:

- a lose solder joint of the USB connector
- a broken USB chip

and that the first one is quite easy to fix but the latter a bit more complicated?

The options for the second issue are:

- DIY, but really tiny
- send it to synthesizerservice.de, 100 €
- send it to Clavia, 400 €

Am I missing something? It would be nice to have a "This is what you do when your USB port broke" thing. It seems like the USB port is _the_ thing breaking.

seanwayland

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My advise is not to attempt to do it yourself unless you are an expert technician with plenty of experience soldering tiny surface mounted components.
voltage control

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seanwayland, I have been thinking about that chip that you replaced. Could it be, by any chance, that the orientation of the new chip is not correct? Pin number one, indicated by a dot on one corner of the chip body, has to face the chip's name indication (U24) printed on the circuit board. I recall that U24's orientation is different than most other chips in that area of the board.
seanwayland

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After we changed the chip the keyboard became no lights no action.
At that point I paid a local certified nord repair $250 for a diagnostic look at the keyboard and they said the board was fucked.
Someone suggested sending it to a navy technician who apparently can fix anything because they have to be able to at sea.
It's been in the cupboard for a year now maybe I will pull it out and have a look.
I am pretty sure we oriented it the same way as the chip we pulled off
varice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
...Alright, now it hit me, too. No connection between the G2 and editors on both Max and Windows. And the USB cable does indeed sit pretty wiggly in the G2...

If you frequently connect and disconnect the USB cable at the G2 port, you may have just stressed the jack solder joints to a breaking point. I would recommend that you check for that first. It may only require applying fresh solder to the jack pins to restore a good connection with the traces on the main board.

varice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seanwayland wrote:
...After we changed the chip the keyboard became no lights no action.
At that point I paid a local certified nord repair $250 for a diagnostic look at the keyboard and they said the board was fucked...

Did the Nord Repair shop give you any detailed reason why they think the main board is FUBAR?

seanwayland

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

basically we melted the pins together trying to repair. I disagree that it is a job that should be attempted by people without years of training. Very different to changing a voice chip in an old CEM synth like an xpander ..
varice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seanwayland wrote:
basically we melted the pins together trying to repair. I disagree that it is a job that should be attempted by people without years of training. Very different to changing a voice chip in an old CEM synth like an xpander ..

Oh, by no means was my post trying to argue that SMD component repair could be done by amateurs… I know better than that.

I merely wanted to know more detail about why the Nord Repair guy declared your main board FUBAR. You say that some pins were melted together. That sounds like you are describing a simple solder bridge between IC pins, which *should* be easy enough to fix by a qualified electronics service tech. Wink The Nord Repair guy *should* have been able to do that. The main board declared FUBAR would seem to imply something more serious. For a $250 diagnostic, they should have given you a detailed report, I think… Did they Question

I say all this because I hate to see a +$2000 rare synth declared FUBAR just because a repair attempt of the USB IC was unsuccessful… (I made a living early in my life troubleshooting and repairing electronic devices down to the component level, so I know a little about this). Although it is possible that a mistake during a repair attempt may have damaged other components, that still may not be the case. But without a detailed report of the Nord Shop diagnostic, we don’t know for sure.

seanwayland

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Varice I just sent you an email.
I also contacted this guy about a repair.
http://www.audio3000.net
According to Pablo at Nord he has "navy experience" and might be able to fix it..
Sean
varice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seanwayland wrote:
...I also contacted this guy about a repair.
http://www.audio3000.net
According to Pablo at Nord he has "navy experience" and might be able to fix it...

Hopefully, you will have better luck this time and get your G2X up and running again.

Nodular

G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello.
Today is a sad day. I've fed a USB Hub 6v and it probably fried the USB chips of BOTH my G2s.
I cannot see them anymore in the NM editor no matter what USB cable, PC, MAC I use.
I'm in Italy, Milano. Anybody knows a GOOD repairman, who could try and do the chip substitution job?

Salve.
Giornataccia! Ho stupidamente immesso 6V in un USB HUB che ha probabilmente fuso i chip di ENTRAMBI i miei Nord Modular G2.
Non li vedo più nell'Editor , qualsiasi cavo USB , PC , MAC provi ad usare.
Vivo a Milano. Qualcuno conosce un BRAVO riparatore che potrebbe tentare la sostituzione dei chip in Italia o anche all'estero?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ouch Confused
Page 3 of 4 [76 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: