electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Power Supply?
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
masterofstuff124

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Power Supply? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive found this http://imgur.com/7GoweSG and this http://imgur.com/KDKUCXB

What is the difference. How should I go about making power supplys for my projects. the smaller the better in most cases. Ive avoided meanwell from concerns about grounding. not sure how to do all the elaborate safety ground wiring stuff.

the first strip layout powers my entire eurorack.
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd hesitate to use tantalums for power supplies -- IIRC, they short when they die.

The only circuit difference between the two is the extra pair of big input caps.

If you have a spare track at top and bottom, might be an idea to add a resistor and LED, both as a power indicator, and as something to keep the regulator working (as the MFOS website says, some regulators need some load to actually regulate.)

Heat is a big factor -- you want good size heatsinks on the regulators, and room for air to move through. Especially as the load increases.
masterofstuff124

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can I safely use the same value electros in place of the tantulum?

for the large ones Could I go for lower value caps i.e. smaller caps(or even lower rating 25v?) for the 4700uf or 3300 in the smaller layout.

My next build im planning on using the second design to power a Benjolin and +- and gnd out so i can interface it with breadboard circuits; a poor mans NS1 (http://www.sound-machines.it/product/ns1nanosynth/)

I found a 250mah 12v ac wall wart. planning on using that. Ill most likely lay the large caps Horizontal along with the 7912 and 7812 on heatsinks. Trying to work on small contained instrument builds so i want a compact power supply.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: