electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jurgen's Bergfors VCA build - DIY beginner needs help
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Jurgen's Bergfors VCA build - DIY beginner needs help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

guys,

i have found a single VCA circuit which is Jurgen's Bergfors design.
it looks simple and sounds very good as a description says.

http://hem.bredband.net/bersyn/VCA/lm13600%20vca%202.htm

i have put this into Eagle for further PCB design. i would ask you to check if i made some mistakes - it's my first schematics in Eagle... so it was hard;Smile

there is no voltage values on the original schematics so i put +/-12V.
i have used LM13600 as an original but i know that 13700 could be used as well.
ther are power rails outside the IC - i don't know what voltage shoud be used - i put bipolar +/-12V as well.

also... this circuit uses only a half of LM13600 - so what to do with a second part of the LM13600? it's just unconnected? should be grounded?

i have chosen a standard 3,5 mm mono jacks... just for something on the PCB. i think the best would solder them with wires to the board separately.

when all errors will be removed i will put it on breadboard:)

LM13600 Bergfotron VCA 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.35 KB
 Viewed:  261 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

LM13600 Bergfotron VCA 2.png

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jurgen's Bergfors VCA build - DIY beginner needs help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jurekprzezdziecki wrote:

also... this circuit uses only a half of LM13600 - so what to do with a second part of the LM13600? it's just unconnected? should be grounded?

I'd say use the second half for a second VCA Smile
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jurgen's Bergfors VCA build - DIY beginner needs help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
jurekprzezdziecki wrote:

I'd say use the second half for a second VCA Smile

thanks for your replay. i don't want to make it to complex, it's my first project Smile
do you mean to make a second channel of this VCA?
LFLab

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope, a second VCA (was my suggestion on Muffs as well Very Happy ).
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm not sure if i did build it correct or wrong nearly 2 years ago, but i wasn't able to mute the signal totally... it was almost present and with some CV it got amplified more...

maybe try this on breadboard first... i've exchanged mine with 2 others VCA's...

But as i said, i'm not sure if i did some mistake, as these where some of my earlier modules and now the stripboards are plundered...

jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LFLab wrote:
Nope, a second VCA (was my suggestion on Muffs as well Very Happy ).

got it:)) just reading!
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wackelpeter wrote:
i'm not sure if i did build it correct or wrong nearly 2 years ago, but i wasn't able to mute the signal totally... it was almost present and with some CV it got amplified more...

maybe try this on breadboard first... i've exchanged mine with 2 others VCA's...

But as i said, i'm not sure if i did some mistake, as these where some of my earlier modules and now the stripboards are plundered...

thanks! i will test it on breadboard first for sure.
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just showing a progress with the project Cool

i have changed the schematics a lot for a better legibility and added a PSU sub circuit with supply coupling. so next thing is to put it on the breadboard!

thanks a lot guys! especially Jarnos (LFLab)Smile

LM13600 VCA2 Bergfotron rev.5 final.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.66 KB
 Viewed:  304 Time(s)

LM13600 VCA2  Bergfotron rev.5 final.png

steved

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i built Bergfors VCA -1 (basically the same VCA )

( http://hem.bredband.net/bersyn/VCA/lm13600%20vca%201.htm )

i don't have any issue with totally muting the signal.

I have made two of these and am able to tune the CV offset / offset to get great results.

I am new to electronics..but i like to experiment - i left the second half of the 13700 disconnected for simplicity and everything sounds great.

I made my PCB using Fritzing - wish i used eagle.

good luck!
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

steved wrote:
i built Bergfors VCA -1 (basically the same VCA )

( http://hem.bredband.net/bersyn/VCA/lm13600%20vca%201.htm )

i don't have any issue with totally muting the signal.

I have made two of these and am able to tune the CV offset / offset to get great results.

I am new to electronics..but i like to experiment - i left the second half of the 13700 disconnected for simplicity and everything sounds great.

I made my PCB using Fritzing - wish i used eagle.

good luck!

thanks a lot for the reply. i new t electronics as well, it is my first project actually. i leave a second half of 13600 unconnected as well but if everything will be ok i will make a second channel of VCA.

you said 13700 - so you change the IC? i know they are similar but there is a difference, right? can i change them as well with no consequences?

can i import eagle schematics to Fritzing?
steved

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes i used 13700 not 13600.
there is a difference, i think it is something with the bias current, but from what i read it doesn't make a difference in most circuits.
I could be wrong.
I use 13700 in VCF and VCA without any issue. 13700 was stocked on mouser but no 13600

i dont think you want to go from Eagle to Fritzing -
Fritzing is real easy to learn and start with, and easy to outgrow.

hope this is helpful - like i said, i am new and don't really know what i am doing ha
LFLab

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, stick with Eagle for sure, it's a learning curve for sure, but totally worth it if you are progressing into more complicated circuits.

I've never used 13600 myself, I think, but they should be interchangeable (13600 is a slightly lower spec, could indeed be the bias current Steve mentioned).
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, so i will try to change the op amp just on the breadboard, let's see.
yes, eagle is very complex.. overhelming in some way but it's great indeed.
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

last thing - the pots used in the project should be logarithmic, right? not linear?
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi guys,

i have build the VCA on breadboard and after some troubles works good.
the only problem is CV modulation. i can't get it work as expected.

the problem is, that a pot (R7) responsible for allows CV modulation only when full down (counterclockwise position). it's not working with any range. every step clockwise gets signal input cut / mute completely.

i don't know how to fix it.

any advices?

i have attached the final schematics - please look

[img][/img]

LM13600 VCA2 Bergfotron rev.7.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  19 KB
 Viewed:  172 Time(s)

LM13600 VCA2  Bergfotron rev.7.png

steved

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what are you feeding it for CV?

(i dont know if this is the right way to do it, but)

i tune mine in like this:

I send the envelope in to the cv input alone, and turn the cv offset to the point where i can not hear any pop when i hit play a note.

I next plug in my audio and turn it up until it starts to bleed with out CV input.
then i play with the two knobs until it works just right.
For me i run at +-12 v..
ill try and link my version of the schematic.. looks same as yours i think..

hope this helps. you may want to build one of the single transistor VCAs along with this so you can play around more!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: