electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
My Alesis Andromeda A6 Editor & VST
Page 2 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
ProFete

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi

i have just tried it with reaper, it work.

at this moment it's a simple remote with some latency unfortunately

but anyway i am waiting for fututre update Smile

ps : tested on sonar platinum, it NOT work,
it recognised as an audio fx not as an instrument
and not all parameters are shown

thank for your work.
Pollux

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep yep yep!

Like I had mentioned in my original post :

Quote:
When adjusting parameters on the plugin the audible results may sound delayed, but when automating parameters with envelopes, it sounds on time.

Last edited by Pollux on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
terryd1

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pollux wrote:
Yep yep yep!

Like I had mentioned in my original post :

Quote:
When adjusting parameters on the plugin the audible results may sound delayed, but when automating parameters with envelopes, it sounds on time.

This seemed to be a side effect of me using Threads in my code. There used to be no latency when manually adjusting sliders, but the downside was that I could only automate one or a few parameters at a time, without the Andromeda choking up.

So, I had to switch to threads to allow a more controlled timing of when to send the Sysex to the Andromeda, and as a side effect of this method, there seems to be some latency from adjusting sliders and hearing the changes. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to address this issue, but I'll see if I can improve it.

However THERE SEEMS TO BE NO LATENCY WHEN DRAWING IN / AUTOMATION ENVELOPES IN AUTOMATION LANES -- Which is the primary reason I created this plugin.

Where can I download this? eager to try it on Sonar
Pollux

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is anyone else noticing inconsistent behavior?

For example, I was gone the past weekend. Before I left, my Andromeda VST was working. When I got back on Sunday, I was having some issues -- like the latency someone had mentioned before, and the Andromeda wouldnt accept too many parameter changes at once.

Fast forward to today, Tuesday, and everything is working better than ever. I experience absolutely no latency at all what so ever from moving the sliders on the VST, and hearing the changes.

What are others experiences, and on what daws, with what settings?

This thread has gotten 200+ views since I've released the VST, but no one has replied. You guys suck as beta testers. If people don't start reporting bugs or giving me feed back then I'm gonna make the file only available to select testers who send me feedback, heh.

Mangoo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: My Alesis Andromeda A6 VST
Subject description: HAS BEEN RELEASED, AND ON VERSION 0.1
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, finally!!!
Will try this asap Smile

Unfortunately RED is only a digital release so a signed copy will be hard, sorry Smile

Thanks Pollux Smile

pollux wrote:
Alesis Andromeda A6 VST

MAGNUS B. WHEN YOU SEE THIS SOMEDAY, YOU'RE A WIZARD AMONG MORTALS. WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO GET A SIGNED COPY OF RED? Embarassed

Cheers!
Pollux

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: My Alesis Andromeda A6 VST

Anytime Mango! Knowing I created a program that may be helpful on future god-like productions...lets me die a happy man jackson dancing

If there's anything missing that would assist in aforementioned god-like productions, just lemme kno!

Mangoo wrote:

Unfortunately RED is only a digital release so a signed copy will be hard, sorry Smile

It was worth a shot Rolling Eyes Razz

Mangoo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: My Alesis Andromeda A6 VST

Unfortunately this will not work in Cubase since it only finds it as an VST FX instead VST Instrument so i cant try it for now.

Smile
/M

pollux wrote:
Anytime Mango! Knowing I created a program that may be helpful on future god-like productions...lets me die a happy man jackson dancing

If there's anything missing that would assist in aforementioned god-like productions, just lemme kno!

Mangoo wrote:

It was worth a shot Rolling Eyes Razz
Pollux

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

unfortunately I came to the same conclusion....I played around with compiling the VST in many different ways to try and get Cubase to recognize it as the "right kind" of plugin (Instrument vs FX).

Such limitations are what made me switch to Reaper, but I will try working with the Cubase Development team to see how I can get this working for ya'll :] I'll play around with Cubase this weekend,

Cheers

Pollux

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The issue stems from the fact that in Cubase, only MIDI Tracks can send Sysex to the Audio Interface, so we have to find a way to get the Sysex Events out of the Andromeda plugin on an Instrument track, into a MIDI Track

I've learned that the "MIDI Plugin's" used by Cubase aren't VST Plugins, but rather something called "VSTMA" Plugins.

Mango, or anyone with Cubase, I think maybe it is possible to get the Andomeda VST working in Cubase with a little bit of routing wizardry. Would someone beable to report back after trying the following routing trick (I cannot test this at the moment, my Cubase Trial expired). This Cubase Routing trick may only work with MIDI Notes (and not with Sysex Messages...try it!)

- Load the Andromeda VST as an Insert Effect on an Audio Track
- Create a MIDI Track
- In the MIDI Track Input-Drop-Down, The MIDI output of the Andromeda VST should appear -- select that as an input for the MIDI Track
- In the MIDI Track Output-Drop-Down, select a track where the MIDI Data would be routed into the Audio Interface

ProFete

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pollux wrote:

- Load the Andromeda VST as an Insert Effect on an Audio Track
- Create a MIDI Track
- In the MIDI Track Input-Drop-Down, The MIDI output of the Andromeda VST should appear -- select that as an input for the MIDI Track
- In the MIDI Track Output-Drop-Down, select a track where the MIDI Data would be routed into the Audio Interface

i will try the same in sonar platinum

EDIT : not working, andromeda cockpit audio fx do not appear in routing area (in/out) of a midi track
Mangoo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will try when im back in the studio in some days Smile
Pollux

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All,

I've re-uploaded the zip (http://analogdessert.com/vst/Andromeda-Cockpit-v0.1.zip) with some additional .dll's included.

I'm now including separate versions compiled as an Effect, and a version compiled as an Instrument. I assume depending on how certain DAW's route things, you'll either have to use the Instrument, or Effect version (REAPER WILL HANDLE ANYTHING THOUGH Twisted Evil)

ProFete,

Please try again with the INSTRUMENT version and let us know! Surprised

pfrancq

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a plan to release a Mac version of it ?
Pollux

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope Crying or Very sad
Mangoo

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haya!

Cubase doesnt read the VSTi at all. Dont know why Sad
Only the fx version show up.

/M

Please try again with the INSTRUMENT version and let us know! Surprised[/quote]
ProFete

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

with the news dll i'm able to add andromeda cockpit as vst instrument but impossible to route it to the synth

i can record the pot movments of the vst into sonar track, that all
Pollux

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Mango and ProFete for testing!

As of right now, I've only got the Andromeda VST working in FL Studio, and Reaper

I guessssssss Illlllllll reinstallllllllll Cubase and start playingggggggg arounddddd

davros303

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Anyone had this working in Ableton? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Pollux,

Really happy to see this and that you are continuing to support. Ableton doesn't natively support sending sysex, but there are a few hacks / workarounds including M4L and this user remote script called Clyphx:

http://bassmusic.io/t/send-sysex-w-ableton-no-max-4-live/13448

Has anyone managed to get this up and running in Live?

Also found this iPad editor which claims to access all 1200+ parameters of the Andromeda - https://audiobombs.com/items/576/alesis-andromeda-a6-editor

But much more interested in automating it from my DAW...!
Pollux

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no problamo!

I own REAPER, Ableton, BitWig, and FL Studio -- I've never had any success getting it working in Ableton (Only Reaper + FL Studio), but I also don't have Max4L. I remember playing around with the GlpyhX Live Addon, to no avail though.

I know of a solution that will allow the Andromeda VST to work in any DAW -- but the setup maybe too esoteric for most people hehe Twisted Evil

You would need to get LoopBe (http://nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html) or loopMIDI (http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html) to create some virtual MIDI ports, and then install MIDI-OX to setup the routings between the virtual MIDI ports and real MIDI ports. That kind of routing setup is par for the course for many VST Synthesizer Controllers.

For example:

1. LoopBe would create a virtual MIDI Port, called "LoopBe #1, and LoopBe #2"
2. Using MIDI-OX, route MIDI In from my Audio Interface -> to LoopBe #1 and #2 In
3. Using MIDI-OX, route MIDI Out from my Audio Interface -> to LoopBe #1 and #2 Out
4. Setup the DAW to use LoopBe #1 as the MIDI In and OUT.
5. Setup the Plugin to use LoopBe #2 as the MIDI IN and OUT

The reason we need two loopBe Virtual MIDI Ports, is because on Windows only one Application can have a "Handle" to a MIDI Port. With this setup, we essentially create as many virtual 'clones' of our Audio Interfaces MIDI Ports that we can then use with other VSTS/Applications without any single application hogging the "Handle" to the MIDI Ports

Since the Andromeda Plugin would be configured to send and receive SysEx directly to any MIDI Ports one selects in the Andromeda VST's GUI, the SysEx messages never get routed through (or FILTERED) by the DAW. Twisted Evil This would allow it to be used with any DAW.

Maybe I'll do this? A raw version (as exists today), and another version with a GUI & MIDI Port selectors.

Thoughts?

Pollux

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also I've realized why there's latency sometimes in regards to hearing the adjustments from the VST -- It seems to be related to how many notes are being held down (including Unison Voices)

I'm sure some of you have noticed that the Andromeda's screen can become really laggy and unresponsive when trying to adjust parameters when the Andromeda is playing really big chords (especially with Unison Voicing on).

Just like the screen becomes less-responsive when lots of voices are being played, I think the same thing is happening in regards to accepting and executing SysEx messages.

This may be an inherent flaw in the Andromeda, and the only way to mitigate it's effects would be sending less data to the Andromeda at a time Sad

It's barley noticeable though unless you're playing really big chord with many Unison Voices.

sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

isn't that due to sysex format ?
lots of data , midicontrolers uses up far less..
already the jd800 suffered from it when changing three or four parameters by sysex , it became soo slow reacting...

on the other hand, with the a6, i never really noticed what you describe. maybe due to playing with only two osc per voice . Or because i was so involved in playing Smile
RETRIVOX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It smells so tasty! I'll try this on my Cubase, maybe Mixbus too this weekend...

There are two thin A6 places:
first is the ~31 kbs midi speed, too slow to receive lots of nrpn/sysex data, and the second is an ancient Motorola Z80 microprocessor.
By the way, few years ago I've asked Mike about processor upgrade. He hoped it could be possible, but maybe needs some software update to adjust the LFO speed etc.

So, check this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/943468-andromeda-a6-os-update-project.html
hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RETRIVOX wrote:
an ancient Motorola Z80 microprocessor

There is no such thing as Motorola Z80 microprocessor.

Andromeda contains Freescale ColdFire MCF5307B MPU which is based on Motorola 68000.

RETRIVOX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HrastProgrammer wrote:
RETRIVOX wrote:
an ancient Motorola Z80 microprocessor

There is no such thing as Motorola Z80 microprocessor.

Andromeda contains Freescale ColdFire MCF5307B MPU which is based on Motorola 68000.

Absolutely right! My mistake late in the night! Mean 6800!

p.s.
Still have no working vst with cubie&mixbus(
hlzdnb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Cubase vst i Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, i've been able to open it as a vst on cubase, basically renaming the dll as andromeda64.dll. Is cubase weird way of finding dll tho , for example i had to rename the fx version as andromed.dll to have it opened. So try to rename the files or move them in different folder, BUT the bad news, is that does not show any gui for both the instument and fx version, it just show the controls like generic editor. Btw pollux i sent you a pm. Really looking forward to the development of this!
Page 2 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: