electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
hello electromusic, by way of an introduction.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tabbycat

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: hello electromusic, by way of an introduction. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey all at electromusic, how the hell are you.

have just joined up after having visited the forum and followed threads previously at voyeur level for a few years.

am a guitarist and bassist, who drums and plays around with keys (playing rather than ‘playing’) when the mood takes me. my influences are broad and mostly from the dark and noisy or ambient side of things. from delia derbyshire, glam rock, punk rock, joy division, post-punk and goth, early electro, mary chain, shoegaze, up to broadcast and hauntology, which brings me back to delia. synth and effect-driven sounds a big part of that. more the vintage 1950s to 1980s side of things. from the radiophonic workshop to acid house.

I build my own stompboxes and am a member on a few stompbox forums. most active at guitar fx layouts and freestompboxes. worth a visit to gfx if you are interested in vero layouts for guitar stompboxes, and fsb if you are interested in the science and schematics that underpin that. fsb is the library and gfx the workshop in many respects.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/ and http://www.freestompboxes.org/

basically I have built enough decent stompboxes to satisfy my immediate needs and am now planning to build a modular synth, which I see as a stompbox pedal board that sits on table and takes an input from a keyboard, rather than sits on the floor and takes an input from a guitar, but essentially still collection of filters, modulation, etc effects chained together.

am not sure where to start really. have built the wsg as a warm up, which turned out nice. now want to start building individual modular units that will run from standard synth 15v. vco, lfo, filter to start I think.
I have seen a couple of ms20 filter vero layouts, which will cover a basic sweet sounding vintage filter. as for vco and lfo, am open to all ideas. will no doubt find thousands here but free to throw your suggestions into the hat.

as for formats, I am ok with vero for small-to-medium builds (20 x 30 holes max) but if easy to find pcbs exist for big layouts then that would be my first preference. speeds things up and simplifies dramatically.

anyway, that’s a preamble by way of an intro. thanks for having me.

tabbycat.
AlanP

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome! I started on pedals, as did quite a few other people here. (There are two shopping bags full of the damn things in my wardrobe.)
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Jump to: