electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Master your music
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Dorio Vanti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:  Master your music Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello, I hope this is the place for this topic , if not please to be excused by the moderators.

Do we need Audio Engeneer or it is better to make the Mastering of the song ourselves? And does the electronic music need of mastering? How and what is the process for these who want to learn more?
Nacho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't mastered any of my songs yet because I'm not in it for commercial success or obsess over aesthetics. It depends on how much money, time and learning you invest in your music yourself. No doubt though, learning mastering will make you a better listener and producer. If you think you are a good producer and your ultimate goal is to try to make a profit you can simply upload your songs to a mastering service... but is it worth it?:

http://blog.sonicbids.com/is-instant-online-mastering-worth-it

Or you can learn mastering online for a fee:
https://online.berklee.edu/courses/audio-mastering-techniques

Or watch youtube videos for free.
Or order and check out books at the library for free(keep in mind though that they might be dated)
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is an interesting topic--one that I have wondered about myself, but since I just do music for myself and primarily to share live performances here, I haven't delved deeply into how to do it myself.

I took a quick loom at the first link, with plans to take another look. Thanks for posting it. Also, I recall reading some tips/tutorials on the Cakewalk/SONAR site; so possibly other digital audio production tools have tips and tutorials geared towards owners of those products.

Steve

PS: I am not sure where this discussion belongs, or if there is an Audio Production Techniques thread/subtopic.
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So far I refuse to master my music correctly because I don't want it to sound "right." I love a raw, honest sound. I used a 4-track cassette recorder for a long time and all I could do was pan and balance sounds well enough that you could hear all the parts. I use an 8x8 digital now and still screw up all the time but the result is nicely "unpolished."

But I'm still out on my weird artistic/philosophical branch that I call "non-fiction music." I play what I feel at the time of creation and I also record and mix the way it sounds and feels right at the time. I'm not trying to sound professional.

I've revisited tunes and tried to make more professional sounding versions but it always feels wrong to me. I always abandon the effort. To me it's like the difference between seeing a raccoon at the edge of the woods and seeing an expertly stuffed raccoon in an expertly arranged display.

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A true mastering engineer will add that final sparkle to your track, assuming he/she is familier with the music style. Even if not they can make it sound considerably better. A good friend of mine was a mastering engineer and I had many occasions to hear his work before and after and it was amazing. The thing is watching what he did - sometimes just a touch of eq one way or the other - was exactly what a track needed. It's wasn't a question of whether a person could have tweaked the eq...anyone could. But knowing what frequency and how much, that only comes with experience and good listening. The other thing is, its nice to have a different fresh set of ears listening to the music and gaining their perspective. Too many people think running their music through a compressor/limiter and getting the most volume is mastering. Its not and is why so much music sounds bad.

Anyone can learn mastering and get better at it over time. It's the experience though that really makes the difference. As for myself, I don't have any of my songs 'professionally' mastered yet...not sure if they're worth doing it to as they are not planned for mainstream release. So I mix and tweak till I'm happy with them, and I'm ok with that. In the future though I'm certain I will have it done at some point.

mode

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Master your music Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dorio Vanti wrote:

Do we need Audio Engeneer or it is better to make the Mastering of the song ourselves? And does the electronic music need of mastering?

I think it depends where you're at...
I can rate my audio experience in the 10s of thousands of hours at the least; if you can EQ hardware on the way in - and maybe also gate/compress, not essential - you can make great digital music from keyboards/sample based sources without the need for a lot of post-production. The trick is to really not record too hot, to preserve fidelity. The 'Loudness Wars' is a mistake and causing too much anxiety with mastering, especially amateur or non-commercial projects.

mode

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:
So far I refuse to master my music correctly because I don't want it to sound "right." I love a raw, honest sound..

I totally relate and agree with you! As an amateur with a mindset rooted in the later 1970s to early 1990s, i'm fulfilled with a good sound that's around -10db to -5db unless there is a big, punchy percussive element to what i'm doing. Let people turn it up and listen in!

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Jump to: