electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
modular perfboard lunetta
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
trav

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: modular perfboard lunetta Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been dreaming up a perfboard lunetta for a while and have finally started building the modules, so thought I'd document it here.

First the enclosure. It fits eleven boards, five along each of the top two rows and one more bottom right, which will be my "modules". If I build more I can swap them in and out as required (or just build another box!). For the interconnect I'll use pin headers; you can see my bundle of female-female cables in the leftmost storage compartment in the bottom row. The rightmost compartment holds the wall wart that will power everything. In the center there's a handy breadboard which flips up; underneath I keep jumpers for adjacent pins and jumper wire for the breadboard.

box_open.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  319.11 KB
 Viewed:  435 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

box_open.jpg

box_closed.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  356.33 KB
 Viewed:  448 Time(s)

box_closed.jpg

Last edited by trav on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
trav

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4520 tone generator

First I need some square waves. Put a fairly high frequency clock into the blue pin at the top and produced at the bottom are four octave divisions of seven pitches in the key of lunetta. The pins in the top right are for power. In general I'll use multiple pins per input/output where I think it might be useful. This includes power pins, since daisy-chaining will probably be tidier than patching them all to one board. It could also be convenient to have some logical 1s and 0s close to hand for some modules. Digital inputs have 87k pull-down resistors, outputs have diodes.

See this thread for circuit details.

polyphony.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  196.89 KB
 Viewed:  427 Time(s)

polyphony.jpg

trav

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4067 16-step sequencer
The four-bit binary count top left determines which channel is active. Next to it is an inhibit pin, and then the common input/output. The top row of each double row of 16 pins is connected to the mux channels so can be used as a standard mux. The main usage I envisage, though, is as a drum sequencer: you set up your pattern with jumpers and feed a trigger into the common input, then you can get four different trigger patterns at the single pins on the end of each row.

Stupidly I did not realise I would need the diodes to prevent the four patterns interacting until I had built it, so I'll need to fix this when I get some more 1N4148s. Alternatively the pattern rows could be female headers and I could use diodes instead of jumpers...

16-step_seq.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.82 KB
 Viewed:  460 Time(s)

16-step_seq.png

16-step_seq_top.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.86 KB
 Viewed:  414 Time(s)

16-step_seq_top.jpg

16-step_seq_bottom.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.87 KB
 Viewed:  393 Time(s)

16-step_seq_bottom.jpg

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks like that's going to be a nice system Very Happy
did you make the nice box yourself from scratch ?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trav

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally getting back onto this after moving house and getting caught up with other things. Yeah, box is from scratch; a few things I might have done better, but it keeps things tidy and portable. Last week I wired in power: I had been daisy-chaining it with patch cables, but this started to seem silly.

Today's module is a lot simpler and less crowded than the first two: three square/triangle oscillators using a 40106 and 4069, plus a high-frequency oscillator to run the tone generator. It was tempting to crowd the board with six oscs and not waste gates, but I have plenty of audio frequencies from my first module, and I plan on building a master counter for low-frequency stuff from a 4060, which has an oscillator on the chip.

oscs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.36 KB
 Viewed:  348 Time(s)

oscs.jpg

trav

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4060 master clock & pseudo-random bit generator

masterclock.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.68 KB
 Viewed:  358 Time(s)

masterclock.jpg

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't really build anything, but I am enjoying following your progress here. I do enjoy reading easy-to-follow projects, like the ones you have posted so far. Also, I like the case; it seems portable and handy.
Steve
trav

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Steve.
Last night I soldered up two of the 4066 VCA of sorts. Each has a cap which can be attached to the output with a jumper: a simple way of smoothing stepped CV from R2R ladders, for example, or turning gates/triggers into percussive sounds. Since my square waves come through diodes, I can feed a few different frequencies straight into the control pin and get some neat sounds. The caps range from 1uF to 100uF

4066vca.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  170.44 KB
 Viewed:  378 Time(s)

4066vca.jpg

trav

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The next module has a whole bunch of CV generators: 3 gate-to-triggers, 2 ramp-up/ramp-down/triangle stepped voltage generators, and 2 3-bit R2Rs.

cvgen.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.06 KB
 Viewed:  382 Time(s)

cvgen.png

trav

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a picture.

cvgen.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.19 KB
 Viewed:  299 Time(s)

cvgen.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: