electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
2016 Spatial Music Workshop & Cube Fest at VA Tech August 1-
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: 2016 Spatial Music Workshop & Cube Fest at VA Tech August 1-
Subject description: 2016 Spatial Music Workshop & Cube Fest at VA Tech August 1-7
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure where this post belongs. I am getting into Spatial Composition after being accepted and having attended and performed at The 2016 Spatial Music Workshop and Cube Fest at Virginia Tech's Moss Arts Center, with its 148-speaker array, last week. Shmooze seems good for now.

Here is a video of a graphical Cube with satellite cubes that I built using Processing in July, that uses a satellite's location relative to the inner Cube to determine spatial location of sound. This video is only stereo, but I used a version of my Supercollider patch that drives the speakers in banks at the Festival. Speakers can be addressed individually. My sound sources were 6 channels of zero-input mixers, 3 mixers X 2 channels each.

A few pics from the event posted below. Here is an article from the Roanoke Times.

DaleOutsideCube.jpg
 Description:
There I am, outside The Cube.
 Filesize:  4.96 MB
 Viewed:  461 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DaleOutsideCube.jpg

VaTechSpatial2016.jpg
 Description:
From our Kutztown University publication: On August 1 - 5, Dr. Dale Parson, Professor of Computer Science and Information Technology, was one of six international practitioners in computer music accepted to participate in the second annual Spatial Music W
 Filesize:  64.14 KB
 Viewed:  467 Time(s)

VaTechSpatial2016.jpg

CubeOrbits.png
 Description:
My work on satellite orbits.
 Filesize:  893.53 KB
 Viewed:  449 Time(s)

CubeOrbits.png

GoldenCube.png.png
 Description:
A screen shot of the graphics program in progress.
 Filesize:  3.89 MB
 Viewed:  433 Time(s)

GoldenCube.png.png

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Text of the above group photo of the 6 workshop participants:

On August 1 - 5, Dr. Dale Parson, Professor of Computer Science and Information Technology, was one of six international practitioners in computer music accepted to participate in the second annual Spatial Music Workshop at Virginia Tech. The workshop culminated in a Friday evening performance by each participant in The Cube, a $15M spatial sound performance space arrayed with 140 speakers in Tech’s Moss Arts Center. The performance kicked off the first annual three-day Cubefest, with performers from around the world. Visiting research composers in the photo are (from left, bottom row) Dale Parson, Neal Farrell of the U.K., and Monica Bolles of Colorado, and (top row) Elizabeth Hoffman of NYC, Leah Reid of Boston, and Eli Stine from University of Virginia.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right now the only graphics-to-sound mappings are the locations of satellite cubes to speakers. There are colors, visual sustain, orbital diameter that could be mapped, mapping directly based on distance to speakers (right now the space mapping is to low-resolution banks of speakers). Orbital angle could be made adjustable and mapped, elongated elliptical & non-elliptical orbits could be added to graphics and mapped to sound properties. Each is a relatively small, incremental enhancement for turning this sketch into a full-blown Cube virtual instrument over the coming year.
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool stuff!! Thanks for sharing.
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My pleasure, Steve. It was my most energized week all year. Very Happy
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a recording of my 18 minute graphical+musical presentation, with the first 6 minutes being a talk, with the jokes coming in around 4:00, and the no-input mixers around 6:00.

ParsonDemoCubeFest2016.mp3
 Description:
Orbiting Cubes, copyright Dale E. Parson, 2016, Creative Commons 3.0, copy freely with attribution.

Download
 Filename:  ParsonDemoCubeFest2016.mp3
 Filesize:  25.23 MB
 Downloaded:  758 Time(s)

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds in 3-D space must be popular these days. See below. Also note that the artist is using ChucK! (It's at RPI's EMPAC facility,)

Steve
Quote:
MUSIC/SOUND, INSTALLATION
Rob Hamilton's 108 Troubles AUGUST 22—SEPTEMBER 2
FREE
The Fall 2016 season officially kicks off this week with the opening of Rob Hamilton's 108 Troubles, a sound installation built for our new wave-field audio system. Wave field synthesis is a technology capable of spatializing sound sources through an extensive array of speakers—our new system consists of 496. By independently controlling each tiny speaker, the composer can create a 3D "holophonic" effect, immersing the listener within the sound environment.

For 108 Troubles, Rensselaer arts professor Rob Hamilton began by recording digital piano sounds with a Disklavier player piano. He then wrote a program in the software ChucK to assign these sounds to particular speakers. The result is a sound installation that explores and demonstrates advanced concepts in spatialized sound. The installation is free and open to the public from 10AM to 5PM each day through Sept. 2. On the closing night (at 7:30PM), pianist Chryssie Nanou will perform live along with the system. Admission to this performance is also free.
airlock

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Audium
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MusicMan11712 wrote:
Sounds in 3-D space must be popular these days.

Interview in recent Tape-Op mentioned this:

http://www.audium.org/
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the link. I looked around and will book mark it for further reading. It was nice to see a blurb about Varese and the 1958 World's Fair. (Articles, Reviews, Interviews, Links)
Steve
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In retrospect, it is surprising how long it is taking venues to catch up with affordable multi-speaker technology. I think standards like 5.1 and the concept of the "sweet spot" in a room stifle experimentation. Our university's circular planetarium has 5 speakers around the base of the dome and 1 subwoofer, but with circular seating, it is nothing like standard 5.1. It has taken me several years to get into prepping pieces to maximize the use even of this spatial arrangement.

ChucK is a fine language for routing spatial audio. In the VA tech Cube they had certified only Supercollider and Max. I was the only one using (learning) SC; all the other workshop attendees used Max. One guy from CCRMA suggested that the single-threaded implementation of ChucK's audio rate engine wouldn't scale to 100+ speakers. It looks from Steve's article that he is probably wrong.

Now that I am over the entry hurdle with SC, the next plan is to fit the planetarium with 8 PA speakers around the periphery, and possibly 8 more above the dome, which is permeable to sound.

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: