electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Korg K61P midi keyboard communication problem
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Ruffe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject:  Korg K61P midi keyboard communication problem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone!

I have the Korg K61P midi keyboard, connected via USB cable to a PC with ASUS H97-PRO motherboard and Windows 7 x64. The aim is to communicate the all above, that is apparently not an easy task.

There are 4 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the PC, also 1 USB 3.0 and 3 USB 2.0 connectors on the motherboard which i can connect to the front panel ports. All of above doesn't detect USB device properly except one of the back USB 3.0 ports which still doesn't transmit the midi signal.

The port allows the OS to recognize the device, but not everytime (only 1 of 5-6 turn-off/turn-on's). If the keyboard is recognised then i can see it's name in the Device manager (Sound, video and game controllers list). My software like daw, midi-ox, kontakt and other also see it, but the name of the device in its lists differs from time to time. It may be "Korg K61P" or "K61P Midi Out" or "K61P KBD/KNOB" and etc. But there is no signal from pushing the keys or turning the knobs. The only instrument working is the joystick which moves the pointer (like a mouse). Just switch the keyboard off and on and there is nothing working again, "device is not recognized".

To be said, the keyboard works perfectly with the Win8 x64 laptop.

What have i done so far:
- tried the latest drivers, the older drivers as well
- tried to remove all the midi devices using Korg midi driver uninstall utility
- tried all the USB ports
- tried another cabel
- changed the system power plan to high perfomance and disabled USB selective suspend setting
- tried to change USB Legacy support in BIOS

As i can see there may be three ways to solve the problem: the first one is using a powered USB hub, the second one is about using a PCI-USB controller and the best one is using a nice soundcard with midi inputs. It takes some money and won't work for certain so i would like to try some other means before buying stuff.

I'd be appreciate for any information that could help me. Thanks for your attention
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not familiar with the Korg Keyboard you have nor with midi and usb 3.0. I do have some experience with midi and the Korg nanoKontrol drivers (series 1). I had some thoughts, but after re-reading the list of what you tried, it seems like you did everything I might have suggested. But I am not sure if something I wrote might provide a clue to something that you didn't try and might just work. So, just in case, here's my first draft reply. Apologies if you did all of these things.

Steve
--------------------

This may not be helpful since you seem to have tried a ton of things already, but just in case, here's my two cents worth.

In my experience Korg is petty good about providing drivers. I assume you have deleted any usb midi drivers for that device Windows may have installed before you installed the Korg drivers. Sometimes windows finds drivers in it's system which it thinks will work, but they really don't and they can mess up real drivers. I have used Device Manager with "show hidden drivers." But be careful--don't delete anything that MIGHT be important.

In my experience (XPs; not sure if its different in newer OSes), the usb port you use makes a difference!! As I recall, the Korg drivers (I forget the name) at the time needed to be installed for [url]each[/url] usb port. I am not sure if that's true currently, but based on what you tried and your results, I'd check into that.

Also, if you have ChucK installed, it might be a good idea to go to cmd and run Chuck --probe. I have found that as a useful aid in seeing which usb midi devices are known to my system. BTW, I have revived my interest in my Chuck-based midi router from 2009. If you do have ChucK, and if miniAudicle runs properly on your system, it is easy to have a script to echo the data from any midi port to the miniAudicle console.

If you have the Jazz-Soft plug-in, I have a page-in-progress that will display midi data in a browser--well, it used to, but they keep changing the browsers' workings.

Steve
Ruffe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, that seems to be the best reply I got so far. Thanks a lot. I didn't actually try to delete hidden drivers from the device manager, so i'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

What about installing drivers for each port. As far as i know, commonly a driver should be installed while a usb device is still unplugged, so you can't choose a port before the installation is completed. Am i wrong?

Nope, i'm not much advanced so i don't use any of software you've mentioned, and didn't even heard of them.
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ruffe wrote:
Well, that seems to be the best reply I got so far. Thanks a lot. I didn't actually try to delete hidden drivers from the device manager, so i'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

What about installing drivers for each port. As far as i know, commonly a driver should be installed while a usb device is still unplugged, so you can't choose a port before the installation is completed. Am i wrong?

Nope, i'm not much advanced so i don't use any of software you've mentioned, and didn't even heard of them.

Just don't delete anything you aren't 100% sure about deleting--I have some legitimate stuff that shows up as hidden/unknown that is absolutely needed.

From what I have seen of the Windows usb enumeration process, it is a black box--a mystery. I don't know if enumeration order is stored someplace and where a table is maintained. Again, I wouldn't mess with that.

Yes, in my experience, most (if not all) factory usb drivers I have used tell you to run the driver installation software first and then plug the device in after. Some will even tell you that if Windows wants to find the driver on its own, you should direct the New Hardware Found dialog to where it is installed. Sometimes they tell you to bypass the Windows driver approval thing. I am not sure about Korg drivers installation.

Earlier I did some tests with my Korg nanoKontrol. I didn't have a chanced to write it up because I wanted to reboot my PC and try a few things first. But--here goes:

nanoKontrol has editor software so users can create scenes, set up the buttons, save/load configurations, etc. It seemed to me that after I plugged mine in, the PC saw it, but the leds didn't light up until I established communication with the Korg nano device editor.

I mention that in case your keyboard has special software that needs to setup the connection between the computer and the device.

Don't worry about ChucK and Jazz-Soft. That will complicate things. Do you have midi-ox? That's another tool for seeing devices and monitoring midi I/O [transfer between the device and the computer].

Until you get it running properly, I'd just use one usb port consistently for the keyboard. That way once Windows correctly identifies that driver with that device, when you plug it in, windows should find the driver.

Also, I know evolution [m-audio] keyboards have a way to toggle midi-out-from-usb on/off. Sometimes it comes only from the midi out, sometimes both. I'm not sure if your keyboard has something like that., but maybe your problem is that simple to solve.

Steve
Ruffe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: <SOLVED> Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your answers, it was really cheering up for me. The solution is pretty simple with the price of $5. I've bought a PCI-USB controller finally and it made everything ok. No settings, no manual research. Plug and play, plain and simle.

Thank you again for your help Smile
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its sounds like a great solution. Glad to hear you got it working.
Steve
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: