electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Knob not changing value
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gauthier

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Knob not changing value Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just acquired a Nord Modular Keyboard with expansion, everything seems in order but the knob 4 doesn't seem to process change of values.

In a patch, I've assigned knob 4 to some parameter, when on the synth I switch to "Edit" mode and touch knob 4, I see the parameter name displayed (it means it detects me tweaking it), but no matter how I turn it, the value will remain where it is.

The fact that it detects the knob (I see parameter name reflected on display) and the fact that the associated led is lit makes me think that I might have some other setting interfering but can't figure out where, or maybe the knob is just faulty?

I've checked the general knob mode setting is on "Normal" and I've tried the "Hook" mode as well.

Anyone encountered this? what is recommended course of action for me to get this fixed?

Thanks.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi gauthier, welcome

and it works with any other knob, right? In that case the knob would be faulty I guess.

gauthier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Blue Hell, yes I can use all the 17 other knobs without issue when they are assigned in the current patch.

It is strange that the display shows the parameter name of knob 4 when I tweak it (like it does for other knobs) while it doesn't change the value at all.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that is a bit strange indeed. To my knowledge there is nothing in the settings that would cause one particular knob to be inhibited, so I'd think it to be failing anyway.

There is a voltage over the potentiometer, and the wiper causes a fraction of that voltage to be sent to an AD converter, the digitized value being used to set the parameter. Maybe there is just a tiny bit of variation in the signal coming in, just enough to be seen but not enough to change the value. I'd expect the converter to have 10 or 12 bits of resolution, while the parameter would have 8 .. hmm or 7 prolly ... at most, so there would be some room for a change too small to change the parameter to be seen still.

How are your electronic skills?

gauthier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell, thanks that's interesting never thought about the details that far down the potentiometer alley Smile

Regarding my electronic skills, they are as bad as my skills to deal with modular synthesizers: pretty bad, but I could try to grab a volt meter and try to figure out if I can compare with what is happening on other knob at some point.

I'm not in a hurry as I just got the synth and I can work around the issue in several ways, but definitely worth gathering info I'll need to get this fix without spending too much $.

Thanks again!
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, happy knobbing for now then!

And feel free to ask for more help.

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: