electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
New Life for electro-music.com
Page 1 of 2 [43 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
deltamodulator

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: New Life for electro-music.com
Subject description: Let's each do our part and revive this wonderful phenomenon!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Genesis 1:7 "Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."

You'll pardon the biblical reference as I know that is not favored by some, I'm just comfortable being me around this place. Thing is, the halls have echoed empty of late - sure there are some beloved die-hards and a handful of newbies (who we cherish), but by and large the traffic has waned.

It's my hope to change that. I'm not sure how though I do have a notion or two. The main thing is that we who are concerned about the life-breath of electro-music.com need to get together and participate more actively.

So for that purpose, and for the purpose of making suggestions and such, this thread is born! Enjoy...

Les

michelangelo.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.14 KB
 Viewed:  17663 Time(s)

michelangelo.gif

NoodleDriver

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't do Facebook but I do enjoy Google plus. Do we have A social network on those things? I'm sure it would be worth a dabble.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/108748193528411916453
Not sure if this is the EM we know and love but if it is we need to use that more and make it cool for cats.
I'd be happy to help in any way I can, I can do graphics n maybe other stuff.
LFLab

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electro-music is not dead, it just smells funny! Very Happy

Joking aside though, I think there's still a fair bit of activity in the DIY section, don't know about the other sections, hardly come there at all.

Although Muffwiggler is a lot busier, I like the atmosphere here as well, it's a bit less hectic. Always a ton of groupbuys, and there can be snide remarks now and again (I am nearly exclusively on the DIY section there as well).

As for other means, meh, I like the forum format a lot, and dislike Facebook and Google/ Twitter/ Snapchat/ Instagram etc etc with gusto.
deltamodulator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I joined the G+ group and was unable to post to it, not sure how it's set up.

I agree that this forum format works for some like myself. The problem is that not only did we lose a lot of members to Muffs, also we are not attracting new members because the site is antiquated.

I'm in favor of a new format with reference to the original format, what do you say?

Les
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just for the record .. we are not loosing any members at all and every day a couple of new ones sign up, and some of those get pretty active as well.

I know I know.. boring facts .. tis all about the feeling Rolling Eyes

Then my opinion .. this site is not antiquated ... it's functional Laughing

Or more constructive maybe ... where exactly is the site antique and what is bad about antiquated again? I mean .. maybe we could fix it then.

Anyway .. yes you could move to some big social media tycoon when you do not care about giving yourself away to the the new Murdochs .. me though, strictly speaking for myself here .. not my cup of tea, nor my favourite beer .. oh wait .. that makes me antiquated right?

Jan.

Last edited by blue hell on Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
deltamodulator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good points Jan.

There seems to be a division - most vocal members are saying "I avoid social media due to the data farming", and there is also the perspective of "we need to modernize our web presence".

I'm a both-and kinda person, not an either-or one. Maybe we can find a way to do both?

These members, are they active? forum seems slow these days to me.

Les
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My observations indicate that the forum format is being marginalized by "social media". I know many people who aren't interested in forums anymore, but flock to facebook, instagram and the like. Personally I prefer the forum format and have no interest in social media, but I'm in the minority. I even find facebook, twitter etc. scary on many levels. If that makes me antiquated, so be it - I'm unashamedly old school in a few areas... Laughing

I haven't got any ideas for how to get increased traffic here, but I don't think branching electro-music.com out to other channels will do anything to strengthen the community at this site. In my own case, I'm a bit of a gearhead, but not doing much electro-music DIY these days, unless Axoloti hacking counts, so I end up on Gearslutz for my gear-chat fix simply beacuse that's where that happens, and Axoloti has a dedicated site. Sadly, the atmosphere can be quite toxic out there on the wild, wild web - don't know how long I can take it... Here at EM there has always been a level of decency and respect among members that I don't find elsewhere.

In any case, I'm glad to read Jan's report of EM not being abandoned. May it live long and prosper!
deltamodulator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know if this is the best metric for evaluating traffic: Looking at the "View unread posts" link in the upper right corner, I see that yesterday there were 7 items shown for me. Seven? there used to be lots more than that! Maybe a different metric would serve us better? We should have some way to compare traffic over time.

Les
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
. Personally I prefer the forum format and have no interest in social media, but I'm in the minority. I even find facebook, twitter etc. scary on many levels. If that makes me antiquated, so be it - I'm unashamedly old school in a few areas... Laughing

Same here...

Well the DIY section i visit at regulary intervalls is a bit quieter now compared with the time when i joined first... but it's still alive...

Guess some of the people now have other priorities like do more concentrate on own musical things, family, work and so on... Or simply don't have any space left in their houses/flats to let the systems grow...
Latter can be solved with ease... who needs chairs, beds and tables... throw them otu of the window and your modular can expand... Very Happy

I really have no idea how to attract more people to the EM-Forum...
There is still a big interest for electronic music but maybe people today feel more comfortable just to consume or if they try to do something themselves just use all the new analog gear recently released or some apps and other simulations... So they maybe don't feel the need to build something on their own... perhaps, maybe a lot of speculation... i don't know...

deltamodulator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Maker community is definitely a huge phenomenon now, and they do music projects - many of which are quite impressive from where I sit (meaning they outdo me by a mile!). Maybe we can tap into that?

Les
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electro-music is always my go to place for music making. Everybody "likes" pics on FB, but nobody listens to links to music, and sites like that have extremely brief memory. The only reason I am not here more often is that I have too much work for college.

We faculty just came off a 3-day strike (first ever in the history of the PA State System of Higher Education), day 1 for me was photography, day 2 was taking a banjo around and leading choirs on union songs, day 3 was singing along through a megaphone out of a hippie van that was blaring union folk music out speakers mounted on its top, covered in signs, & also handing out oranges and bottles of water. Student support was great. Now, back to grading!

Other than that, I have not had any time for music making since September equinox, which I really appreciated. So, I am not here a lot because of all this other work. I find mainstream social media to be next to useless for this sort of thing. It is somewhat better for visual media.

EDIT: A colleague took a video of the choir & posted on FB, but the permissions are such that I cannot share or download it. Point made.

deltamodulator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With the two camps divided: two in favor of a modern makeover and five or six in favor of the way things are, I gotta say the nays have it... for now Smile.

This leads me to revise my A&B vs A|B and suggest we consider C which, as I mentioned is a connection with the Maker movement.

Thanks to all who are taking the time to contribute to the discussion!

Les
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The thing with a forum is ... you have to actually do stuff ... like type words ... post stuff, music, schematics, ideas ... to make it work.

Currently this works in the DIY section only .. mostly so. There have been times that the Nord Modular sections were most active. I'm seeing some growing interest lately in people listening to and commenting on music.

So things change with time.

Social media is the telvisionation .. what a word .. of the internet, it needs to be halted Confused

heh .. I had predicted the death of social media sites a couple of years ago ... some day I will be right about that!

Anyway .. I think there is not much that can be done about less people being active here .. they just have to do it themselves, and some do so, but yes, it is a bit less than it used to be.

Ok, need to mind my applesauce cooking now Smile

Jan.
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

Ok, need to mind my applesauce cooking now Smile

Jan.

And perhaps some ginger beer? Cool

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sometimes feel it's a bit sad that things aren't happening as much here as before - I confess I don't visit the DIY parts as much as many others here. But I have to agree with Jan - things are still happening here, and as long as nothing goes away, that's enough really. If there are things you need that aren't here, they can be found elsewhere. Not everything has to happen in the same place, and if we should try to make everything happen here that could just as well blow it all up.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've looked at the beer recipe .. tempting :-)
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I point students at the planetarium documentation thread here at E-M, from the summer 2015 conference in the planetarium, quite often. If I had some students who were *really* into E-M, I'd get them to volunteer to help with event streaming and the like. But alas, in 8.5 years, there are really none. Some always play the events, but the participation is ephemeral. No dedicated electro-music students.
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
I've looked at the beer recipe .. tempting Smile

It smells so good when it's fermenting! I am re-reading Lord of the Rings trilogy for the umpteenth time. I imagine Ent draught to be something like ginger beer. Cool

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cooking still .. slowly .. also working on a Life sequencer thingie ... and having a Belgian beer :-)

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks like a beer sequencer!
deltamodulator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:
I've looked at the beer recipe .. tempting Smile

It smells so good when it's fermenting! I am re-reading Lord of the Rings trilogy for the umpteenth time. I imagine Ent draught to be something like ginger beer. Cool

I admit I don't read hardly any literature, yet i have read all four books in the LOTR trilogy a few times...

Les
deltamodulator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Game of Life as a sequencer - to quote mosc: "whodjthunkit"?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
That looks like a beer sequencer!

Hmm ... where is the bubbles emoticon when you need it .. ok .. imagine bubbles .. moving bubbles drunken o .. there it is Smile
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did I hear the word "Beer"?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I can use some beer - trying to read this Shocked
Page 1 of 2 [43 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: