electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
New Life for electro-music.com
Page 2 of 2 [43 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

don't think beer will do the job Rolling Eyes Wink
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure it helps with making gravity an illusion Laughing
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It already is! Rolling Eyes
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't done it recently, but various times in the past I've tried to draw some attention to this site with Craigslist Ads like the one below, posted in "community," "musicians." I posted them in my own area and also in key cities across the US and worldwide. Perhaps if others tried different phrasings and posted in locations they thought were suitable...

[Attention: Electronic Music Artists and enthusiasts!

http://electro-music.com is a highly supportive E-M community, forum and webcasting resource.

All submissions of original music are eligible for airplay on one or more of the http://radio.electro-music.com streams.

Forum members are eligible to host webcasts of appropriate music.

http://radio.electro-music.com now has five continuous streams:

Primary Stream, Radio1 - A mix of all music types and the place for streaming events

MKII, Radio2 - A selection of the best rhythm and melody driven music from the electro-music.com archive

Ambience, Radio3 - Mellow ambient and chill music. Relax and enjoy the ambience

Intense, Radio4 - Fast tempo, heavy, intense, glitch and noisy. Music that makes you want to either dance or thrash your head around wildly

Experimental, Radio 5 - Experiments with unusual composition and sounds. This includes live performances, latency jams, modular noodles, and anything else that expands your concept of music and composition]

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
Cfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm happy to post a craigslist add in my area.

I like doing YouTube project videos and have mentioned electromusic in a couple of them.

If those of us that do YouTube project and music videos bring up EM when jermain to the topic, and post links where we can. I believe we could attract more people that are interested in what is going on around here.

I know a couple of you guys get way more views on your videos than I do. Might be worth a try.

Just a note. I like the format the way it is. Seems to attract the people I would rather be in contact with. I have been a member at muffs longer than here, but rarely go on there and have never posted anything there.

I'm not afraid to be wrong here because the people are polite and courteous at pointing it out. Instead of smug and condescending.

I'm happy to help any way I can.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said already. Yes, there might be less activity here since people do flock to other, more popular,
forms of social media (EM is of course a form of social media itself), but I don't think that should be a reason to change the format. It is not a
competition about who gets the most visitors. In this case I prefer quality over quantity and we all found this place at some point so others will do to.
"If you build it, they will come" or, since we live in the Berenstain universe now, "if you build it, he will come" Laughing And I absolutely agree with Cfish here:
Cfish wrote:
Just a note. I like the format the way it is. Seems to attract the people I would rather be in contact with.

My experience is that when things become too big and popular (and EM is actually not even small) they just start to suck at some point anyway.
It reminds in a way about how I prefer 100 devices that each do one thing, over 1 device that can do a 100 things but none of them are great
because they had to make concessions to make it work. EM is good at what it does. simply put: there is no need to change things.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
A E J O T Z

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just now had time to read all the posts on this thread.

In an attempt to get people to listen to my music I join every music, e-m and synth forum and/or site I can find. I've lost count of them.

But this is one is "home." And this is the only one I recommend to others who make or enjoy electronic music.

I've noticed that things have been slower around here lately, but I've also noticed fluctuations in activity in years past. Is it seasonal?

I have no use for "social media," largely because I'm pretty wordy. I can't say what I want to on Twitttt because I'm literate. And while I quickly gained "friends" on Assbook I promptly lost them all because it asked me "What's on your mind?" and I answered it honestly. Big mistake. Honesty always gets me in trouble.

Social media is the new answer for everything, except I don't remember ever seeing it actually work. When "traffic" is just people blipping by it's meaningless. It's better to actually engage a few people than to have a lot of traffic speed by without engaging.

I don't try to keep up with new trends that don't interest or impress me. But when something new interests or impresses me, I'm all over it. To trend chasers it probably looks like I'm old fashioned. I am a retro-futurist, so that works.

I don't see a need for a new format. But I'm interested in hearing what kinds of suggestions for improvement others might have.

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just my humble opinion… I don’t think that the electro-music.com forum is broken, so it doesn’t need fixin… sure, the “traffic” here has been less than before. But I just don’t think that it is any reason to switch to a “social media” format…
Blue Hell wrote:
The thing with a forum is ... you have to actually do stuff ... like type words ... post stuff, music, schematics, ideas ... to make it work…

Yep! I agree.

So, what is the argument for switching to a social media format? What is so difficult about the electro-music.com forum? Is it any more trouble to start a new topic or reply to this forum versus other media?

Blue Hell wrote:
…There have been times that the Nord Modular sections were most active. I'm seeing some growing interest lately in people listening to and commenting on music.

So things change with time.

Social media is the telvisionation .. what a word .. of the internet, it needs to be halted Confused

heh .. I had predicted the death of social media sites a couple of years ago ... some day I will be right about that!...

LOL!… I have always thought of FB and Twitter as being frivolous fads, but I guess that this just proves that I am an anti-social luddite…

Blue Hell wrote:
…Anyway .. I think there is not much that can be done about less people being active here .. they just have to do it themselves, and some do so, but yes, it is a bit less than it used to be…

True words…

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can see that would make you want to go and sitter in a bar.
A E J O T Z

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about updating the site's "Front Page."

The "Store" has been stuck in a time-loop for years. It's a bit misleading.

If the store is not an active option it shouldn't dominate the visuals on the first page visitors see, affecting their first impression of the site.

And the newest "news" item on the front page is from 2009, implying that this site is a ghost town.

I think more focus on the streaming radio would be attractive to new visitors.

UPDATE: 11-13-16
I just placed an online ad for the site in the Austin Chronicle. Austin is the center of a recent e-m revival and the Chronicle, read by people worldwide, is probably the best newspaper in the US.

Cfish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I would agree the front page and news give the impression of a forgotten sight. Pretty sure something has happened more recently.

Might be time for the Tshirts to go to goodwill if there are any left.

I honestly never go on through the front page. I laughed pretty hard when I went and looked at it.
Cfish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anouther attraction idea from a DIY standpoint, could be some easy links up front to useful charts, like capicitor uf=nf=pf chart. Common transistor pinout chart. Resistor color code chart.

From a DIY build standpoint the home page does not do much to show how useful this sight really is.

Just tossing out ideas. Highliting music and DIY build on the front page would seem to show more what we are about
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree on the frontpage being outdated. I never enter through the frontpage myself either, I just use a shortcut to the "View new posts in the last week"
But yeah some updates here would be useful. I wonder how many items sold in the shop are actually still available. Not sure about the DIY charts on
the frontpage but it might make a useful (sticky) thread in the DIY section.

However some links to certain threads or sections of the forum migth be a good idea. I wonder if it would be feasable to have some sort of
auto-updating slideshow of things posted in the show your builds threads. And maybe just links to the latest post of certain sections like online
music.

Also something I noticed a while back, the affiliates page has a ton of spelling errors and the links don't work most of the time..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alanwilder81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am quite new to this forum having joined up only recently.
i must admit i have always love the forum format in general and the way it's organized. far more study and info swapping oriented than other social platforms. I cant see a single reason to change it.

It may take some improvement or updating for sure, but the forum, as it is, works wonders. Just my 2 cents
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am sure many people would be unhappy with a major restructure. This place is familiar and easy to get around.

My only small complaint is that it is hard to use on a tablet.

The university is insisting I get my annual leave balance to under 200 hours so I have some free time over the next couple of months.

What about I look at adding some css media queries so that the forum is more usable on mobile?
alanwilder81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

as far as i've seen, people are ok with the forum remaining more or less as it is now. Some tweaks here and there might be welcome
Cfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I only use the sight on my iPad. It does not work to bad. LOL seeing I don't own a PC, I really don't know what I might be missing.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I type these words I am in a panic attack with chest pain. I'll survive this, it's just a bump in the road, but there will come a time for each of us, we know... and I thought about it - I'd spend that time here and with family.

So back to today and I'm in agreement with the consensus on the topic of what to do with our gem of a forum:

keep the forum as-is
    update the front page
    be more active in em projects
    do something to tell others about em

I gotta say it's a pleasant surprise. It's been about a decade (with major gaps) that I've gotten this em forum format burned into the phosphor of my mind. The blue, the fonts, the friends and projects... oh yeah um the music too! It's all a glorious celebration of the creations that we are.

Let's not change that.

Les

Page 2 of 2 [43 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: